Can you get away for an hour or two?

RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

My employer hosts a membership to a really nice gym which also has pools, hot tubs, and dry and wet saunas. The whirlpool and saunas are located within the men's and women's locker rooms...so they are somewhat private and don't get a lot of traffic. I personally love the steam room and I go to the gym often just for that purpose.

I was able to get extra guest passes. I invited my two close friends and a handful of not as close friends. I told all of them that it was up to them whether we just go sit in the steam room or whirlpool...or if they wanted to do a workout, a Zumba class, cycling class....totally up to them. I even told them that they don't have to go with me....I can go to my workout class and they can just explore. Every woman I have offered this to has asked to schedule a month out at least. I've been looking to give someone my guest passes since August.

For comparison, my husband got the same deal and invited his few close friends. All of them have already taken him up on it. He only has 1 extra guest pass left.

Are we really stuck in the 19th century where women can't get away for an hour or two on the weekend? Does anyone wanna go to the steam room at Villasport with me??? Or a cycle class? It's honestly so much fun!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Raises hand longingly!

I can get away but I'm recently separated and making an effort to do things for myself. Prior to separation, I wouldn't have thought that I had time to take away from my family. Warped, I know.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:09 pm Raises hand longingly!

I can get away but I'm recently separated and making an effort to do things for myself. Prior to separation, I wouldn't have thought that I had time to take away from my family. Warped, I know.
I don't think it's warped, per se. I think there's a huge pressure on parents, specifically on moms. I hope we get away from this idea that moms/parents have to sacrifice everything. I was actually thinking it would be harder for parents of younger kids so I specifically invited moms of older kids as well.

But seriously...if you are anywhere near Houston, I will take you! We just have to get there before October 31. They also have a spa with facials and massages but that's extra.

Also, all Villasport locations offer a one day free pass to anyone who has never been there before. I think everyone should take advantage of it!
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I don't think it's warped, per se. I think there's a huge pressure on parents, specifically on moms. I hope we get away from this idea that moms/parents have to sacrifice everything. I was actually thinking it would be harder for parents of younger kids so I specifically invited moms of older kids as well.

But seriously...if you are anywhere near Houston, I will take you! We just have to get there before October 31. They also have a spa with facials and massages but that's extra.

Also, all Villasport locations offer a one day free pass to anyone who has never been there before. I think everyone should take advantage of it!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

For sure. My youngest is now 13. I can go and do whatever I want. My answer would have been different if I still had a 2 year old of course.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

RIZZY1 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:16 pm

You're so kind but I'm a thousand miles away! I guess I'm thinking about the years I negotiated for a weekend "women's trip" with friends (which I got but felt guilty about) and yet my husband routinely took week long fishing trips with brothers and friends. I took on the traditional role of mom which included 24/7 availability. Just looking back, I don't think it was fair and don't think it was that beneficial to my kids. I think it would have been a greater benefit if mom had been able to go away occasionally and do what mom wanted for her vacay!

It makes me think about the time I was hospitalized with pneumonia for a week and the day I got home my husband met me at the door really harried and said, "do you know what's been going on in this house while you've been gone!". I actually felt guilty for getting sick and totally neglected my recovery. Was taking the kids skiing several days later while basically coughing up a lung.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Last year I was barely able to get grocery shopping done and I was working full time with older kids. This year I am not working so I have more free time available. It's quite different and I am not feeling the "mom pressure" nearly as much since I no longer have that guilt when I had to manage my time between kids, work, husband, self, etc. It's rather nice.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Now I can, but it wasn’t as easy when my kids were younger. It’s not just about equal parenting, although it wasn’t equal, but there were also prior obligations. I’m also a homebody so doing something like that wouldn’t have been a high priority for me.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Now that our kid's are all adults, we have a lot more free time to go and do things, always together which we both love.

However, our interests aren't always the same, which is normal and after being married for over 36 years, perfectly acceptable to us both.

He's become more of a home body whereas I'm not as much so. Working out is my dream but with my physical limitations, not a reality for me. 😑

I hope you finally get some takers!!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Usually it's not an issue for me to just say bye kids and go but right now I'd have to make sure dh was home even though my kids are older. At least there's an end in sight.
Locked Previous topicNext topic