Wes Moore wants Md. students to do a year of service after graduating

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"Maryland gubernatorial hopeful Wes Moore (D) wants to create a new rite of passage to adulthood for high school graduates: a year of public service.

The idea of having young Americans spend a year providing service in their communities has been bandied about for more than a decade. National nonpartisan groups have formed around it. A presidential candidate once suggested it. But political will and the often hefty price tag associated with requiring participation have stalled national efforts.

And now Moore, an Army veteran and lead contender in the race to become Maryland’s next governor, is pushing a plan to offer tens of thousands of young Marylanders a chance to participate in a state initiative similar to national programs like AmeriCorps, the Peace Corps and Teach for America."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... ce=twitter

Cool!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Love this idea!!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:48 pm Love this idea!!
I'm not in Maryland, but I do too!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

There is so much to do. I would love to see this.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:15 pm There is so much to do. I would love to see this.
It could be amazingly transformative for communities and students.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This is a great idea!!
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm in MD. He has my vote!
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

In times of conscription, you know why they send young men to war?

It isn't because they'd be better at killing than men in their early thirties.

It's because they don't have the wealth / organisational skills / strength of purpose to mount effective opposition. They're vulnerable. Easy pickings, politically speaking.

How is this any different?
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:20 am

It's because they don't have the wealth / organisational skills / strength of purpose to mount effective opposition. They're vulnerable. Easy pickings, politically speaking.

Because it's voluntary?

I can imagine that there may be complaints from the military about this program as it will hurt military recruitment but I don't see that as a negative.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:20 am

At 18 and 19, high school graduates are often floundering, maybe going to college and maybe not, often not knowing who they wish to become.

They're "easy pickings" on many levels: credit card companies love this age group, political parties find them easy to sway one way or another, and they're given promises by potential employers of the large amount of money they can make in commision sales by selling knives or harassing the elderly for bills the elderly do not owe to begin with.

Mandating that they spend a year in public service can give them more of a sense of community, who lives where they live, and can even possibly give them ideas of what they might wish to do with their future selves.

Society tends to dismiss this age group, either expecting them to make great things out of their lives but not showing them direction, or simply ignoring them and walking away.

We shouldn't be doing that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic