Wes Moore wants Md. students to do a year of service after graduating

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:27 am
Aletheia wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:20 am
AZOldCoot wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:48 pm Love this idea!!
In times of conscription, you know why they send young men to war?

It isn't because they'd be better at killing than men in their early thirties.

It's because they don't have the wealth / organisational skills / strength of purpose to mount effective opposition. They're vulnerable. Easy pickings, politically speaking.

How is this any different?
At 18 and 19, high school graduates are often floundering, maybe going to college and maybe not, often not knowing who they wish to become.

They're "easy pickings" on many levels: credit card companies love this age group, political parties find them easy to sway one way or another, and they're given promises by potential employers of the large amount of money they can make in commision sales by selling knives or harassing the elderly for bills the elderly do not owe to begin with.

Mandating that they spend a year in public service can give them more of a sense of community, who lives where they live, and can even possibly give them ideas of what they might wish to do with their future selves.

Society tends to dismiss this age group, either expecting them to make great things out of their lives but not showing them direction, or simply ignoring them and walking away.

We shouldn't be doing that.
I agree with everything you wrote but like Americorps and Peace Corps, this program would be voluntary not mandatory.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

As long as it is voluntary. I would be super pissed if we lived in MD and it was mandated in the coming year. That would put my daughter behind enrolling in college and that would piss her and me off. With as hard as she has worked and is still working, it would bascially be a slap in face since she has already been accepted to one school ( waiting on 7 more schools to make decisions, but they are not rolling admissions so it will most likely be December).
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

If this is voluntary, what is the incentive to do it? Would it count as an internship or something? I know Teach for America pays you...do the others?
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:40 am
Aletheia wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:20 am

In times of conscription, you know why they send young men to war?

It isn't because they'd be better at killing than men in their early thirties.

It's because they don't have the wealth / organisational skills / strength of purpose to mount effective opposition. They're vulnerable. Easy pickings, politically speaking.

How is this any different?
At 18 and 19, high school graduates are often floundering, maybe going to college and maybe not, often not knowing who they wish to become.

They're "easy pickings" on many levels: credit card companies love this age group, political parties find them easy to sway one way or another, and they're given promises by potential employers of the large amount of money they can make in commision sales by selling knives or harassing the elderly for bills the elderly do not owe to begin with.

Mandating that they spend a year in public service can give them more of a sense of community, who lives where they live, and can even possibly give them ideas of what they might wish to do with their future selves.

Society tends to dismiss this age group, either expecting them to make great things out of their lives but not showing them direction, or simply ignoring them and walking away.

I agree with everything you wrote but like Americorps and Peace Corps, this program would be voluntary not mandatory.
For some reason, I understood it to be mandatory which I personally would not have a problem with either.

Even an hour or two each month would give many of these very young adults some perspective, IMO, and could fit into college hours and even part-time jobs.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:55 pm

For some reason, I understood it to be mandatory which I personally would not have a problem with either.

Even an hour or two each month would give many of these very young adults some perspective, IMO, and could fit into college hours and even part-time jobs.
We have a program in our county which is similar. Students who want to go to community college can do so for free if they spend 80 a semester volunteering hours with community service. I have two students working with me now who are learning grant writing and web design. It would be awesome if they could work full time and be paid. I guess in a sense they are being paid by having free tuition but it would be great if they could get both.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. We have that in Mexico, but it’s at the end of college. We call it “Servicio Social” (I’m sure no translation needed for that).
Also for many young Jews around the world it’s very common to take a leap year and go to Israel and volunteer for different things. Some work in a kibbutz, some volunteer for military service and other choose some other activities. For Mexican Jews at least, it’s like a no brainer. The question isn’t “will you make ‘hachsharah?’ (that’s what it’s called). The question always is “WHERE will you go for your hachsharah?”
It’s very positive. It encourages a sense of community, and of service. It teaches responsibility and for kids that have really been taken for and looked after all their lives, now having to do that for others, it’s a very good lesson on humility and selflessness.
And if there’s something that America desperately needs, that’s less selfishness.
AZOldCoot wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:55 pm

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

RIZZY1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:57 pm If this is voluntary, what is the incentive to do it? Would it count as an internship or something? I know Teach for America pays you...do the others?
It's voluntary

"The program, which is part of Moore’s education, economy and social justice agendas, would offer a stipend for work in fields that could include environment, education, and health care. An added incentive could include in-state tuition, he said.

While the scope of Moore’s plan would be novel, the idea builds off a state program, Maryland Corps, that was proposed six years ago and never got off the ground. The legislature passed a bill in 2016 to create a pilot program for 100 participants between the ages of 17 and 23.

Under the bill, Maryland Corps would have provided stipends of up to $15,000 for corps participants and one-time scholarships of up to $6,000 for those who completed the program. Sen. Shelly L. Hettleman (D-Baltimore County) said the bill passed, Gov. Larry Hogan (R) signed it but didn’t provide any funding for it."
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's an interesting idea. I've long held the belief that kids are far too young and inexperienced to decide at 18 on a major, basically deciding what they want to do with the rest of their lives. This would give them some life experience and possibly help them figure out what they want out of life going forward.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Locked Previous topicNext topic