Do you own any jackets made with sherpa lining?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

If so you may be a racist. The North Face company will stop using that word describing their jackets as it is offensive to Sherpa people.

The North Face is dropping the word “sherpa” from the name of its fleece jackets this fall, using the opportunity to highlight the heritage of the Sherpa people.

The collection, which was called sherpa fleece jackets and vests, will now be called “pile” fleece, as will all of the company's fleece products moving forward.

“We’ve recognized the origins of the term ‘sherpa’ and how it’s been applied to the fashion industry,” Eric Raymond, director of social impact for The North Face, told NBC News.

The Sherpa people, which means “Eastern people” in Nepali, are an ethnic group who live along the Tibet-Nepal border. Most live in the surrounding areas of the Himalayas, mainly in the eastern regions of Nepal. They are generally known for their excellent trekking skills and are regarded as expert mountaineers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... 8rt4uJ88vA
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Just owning it doesn't make you racist. First!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

No, but I've always thought that "sherpa" was a strange name for synthetic fleece.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That isn’t what they are saying… they are changing it to a more appropriate term because it can be appropriation to name a fashion style off of an ethnic group. They aren’t saying that you are racist for owning the jacket. I see zero problem with changing the name to something more respectful to the group they are trying to honor.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Can you ever...just once...lighten up? Are you like this in real life too? Take everything so seriously? It's a silly post about sherpa lining for gods sake.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:01 am That isn’t what they are saying… they are changing it to a more appropriate term because it can be appropriation to name a fashion style off of an ethnic group. They aren’t saying that you are racist for owning the jacket. I see zero problem with changing the name to something more respectful to the group they are trying to honor.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

We better get all that Canadian bacon out of the store too…
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:28 am We better get all that Canadian bacon out of the store too…
Ever see that Spongebob episode where Plankton is in a store and asks a mother if the baby powder is made from real or artificial babies? 🤣
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:34 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:28 am We better get all that Canadian bacon out of the store too…
Ever see that Spongebob episode where Plankton is in a store and asks a mother if the baby powder is made from real or artificial babies? 🤣
😂🤣
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Someone is the comments mentioned we better stop saying Hawaiian shirts when describing clothing lol.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:25 am Can you ever...just once...lighten up? Are you like this in real life too? Take everything so seriously? It's a silly post about sherpa lining for gods sake.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:01 am That isn’t what they are saying… they are changing it to a more appropriate term because it can be appropriation to name a fashion style off of an ethnic group. They aren’t saying that you are racist for owning the jacket. I see zero problem with changing the name to something more respectful to the group they are trying to honor.
I don’t need to change anything about me. Racism is a serious issue so yes, I’ll take it seriously. Plenty of posts that I don’t take seriously.
Locked Previous topicNext topic