Do you own any jackets made with sherpa lining?

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:45 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:27 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 pm

But eating French is no problem? As in French bread, French toast, French fries. There are so many foods in US culture that have some sort of other country attached to them, probably because the food concept originated in that country, but it would be incredibly hard to eliminate all of those foods from the US common language.

And what if it's not food nor a tangible item? Like Dutch treat? It's a concept. Should we change all those as well?
In all of the cases you listed, the nationality (French) is used as a descriptive adjective for the type of product. Sherpa is the name of the product and used as a noun. It would be odd to say breaded French, toasted French, or fried French. Pick any ethnicity and fill in the blank - "I have a jacket lined with ________________". It sounds weird, doesn't it?
It's not really a noun. Sherpa is describing the type of fleece - sherpa fleece. Even if they are using just the word sherpa without the word fleece, it's still implied as an adjective. The fabric itself is described as "sherpa fleece fabric". The only noun is "fabric". Even if you have a "sherpa jacket" the noun is still the jacket while "sherpa" describes what kind of jacket, hence adjective. Just like if I say "leather jacket", while leather on it's own can be a noun, in the instance of "leather jacket" it is being used to describe the jacket so it is an adjective.

So my point still stands. Other nationalities are used as adjectives in the English language all the time. What makes this any different?
I am guessing what makes it different is that many people only know of the word "Sherpa" as either paid labor to help wealthy climbers reach the summit, or a type of fleecy lining. And that the customers for this high-end clothing - many of whom may be climbers - are aware that this can be seen as insulting to these people. So the company is changing to appeal to the customer base. Not a big mystery.

Lot's of other once common descriptors have also fallen from favor. "Indian Giver," "Dutch Courage" and "Irish Twins" are terms many have dropped.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:13 am

I imagine the French would be upset if jackets were sold lined with French, dog beds were topped with French, or you could curl up with a blanket made with French, lol.
But eating French is no problem? As in French bread, French toast, French fries. There are so many foods in US culture that have some sort of other country attached to them, probably because the food concept originated in that country, but it would be incredibly hard to eliminate all of those foods from the US common language.

And what if it's not food nor a tangible item? Like Dutch treat? It's a concept. Should we change all those as well?
In all of the cases you listed, the nationality (French) is used as a descriptive adjective for the type of product. Sherpa is the name of the product and used as a noun. It would be odd to say breaded French, toasted French, or fried French. Pick any ethnicity and fill in the blank - "I have a jacket lined with ________________". It sounds weird, doesn't it?

Fancy having a danish?…
4366290F-E816-4295-9775-5940DD477C90.jpeg

I won’t even get started on what happens if you go to a beautician and ask for a Brazilian…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's a polyester fabric that has nothing to do with Sherpa but the name sure did stick!

North Face knows their customers and feels this is a good move. They're probably right. Lot's of articles in outdoor adventure and mountaineering magazines on the Sherpa recently and I think people in those circles are more aware that they are an ethnic group with a rich culture and heritage, not a profession or fabric.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 5

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:55 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:45 pm

It's not really a noun. Sherpa is describing the type of fleece - sherpa fleece. Even if they are using just the word sherpa without the word fleece, it's still implied as an adjective. The fabric itself is described as "sherpa fleece fabric". The only noun is "fabric". Even if you have a "sherpa jacket" the noun is still the jacket while "sherpa" describes what kind of jacket, hence adjective. Just like if I say "leather jacket", while leather on it's own can be a noun, in the instance of "leather jacket" it is being used to describe the jacket so it is an adjective.

So my point still stands. Other nationalities are used as adjectives in the English language all the time. What makes this any different?
I am guessing what makes it different is that many people only know of the word "Sherpa" as either paid labor to help wealthy climbers reach the summit, or a type of fleecy lining. And that the customers for this high-end clothing - many of whom may be climbers - are aware that this can be seen as insulting to these people. So the company is changing to appeal to the customer base. Not a big mystery.

Lot's of other once common descriptors have also fallen from favor. "Indian Giver," "Dutch Courage" and "Irish Twins" are terms many have dropped.
We have to stop saying newsboy caps immediately! They're paid even less than Sherpas! 🙇🤦
Anonymous 5

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:02 pm

Fancy having a danish?…

I won’t even get started on what happens if you go to a beautician and ask for a Brazilian…
😆. So ... Is pop tart offensive to loose women? I think we should change that too!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:24 pm

Fancy having a danish?…

😆. So ... Is pop tart offensive to loose women? I think we should change that too!
Lol We’ll just go all the way with it and start serving pop tarts with a dipping sauce…
9F4276B7-DA18-4BCA-A8CA-639C913B6762.jpeg
Anonymous 5

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:32 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:24 pm

Fancy having a danish?…

Lol We’ll just go all the way with it and start serving pop tarts with a dipping sauce…

9F4276B7-DA18-4BCA-A8CA-639C913B6762.jpeg
😆 That's awesome!
Locked Previous topicNext topic