Do you own any jackets made with sherpa lining?

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

As a fabric description the word "Sherpa" is inadequate at best. It is used to describe virtually any type of fleecy or wooly textured fabrics, and is about as useful as "natural" on food labels. No actual definition, just a marketing term.

There is no need to continue using it unless you are referencing the Sherpa people. Applying it to clothing and guide services implies a very limited role of support service for a group of diverse people and their culture.

Language evolves and changes to reflect current knowledge and values. Nothing wrong with that.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:20 am As a fabric description the word "Sherpa" is inadequate at best. It is used to describe virtually any type of fleecy or wooly textured fabrics, and is about as useful as "natural" on food labels. No actual definition, just a marketing term.

There is no need to continue using it unless you are referencing the Sherpa people. Applying it to clothing and guide services implies a very limited role of support service for a group of diverse people and their culture.

Language evolves and changes to reflect current knowledge and values. Nothing wrong with that.
It implies it’s cold on Tibetan mountains…

I doubt there’s many people hearing “French fries” and assuming it implies the French only eat potatoes…
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:55 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:34 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:26 am

Considering that these folks are actually employed AS SHERPAS ...
What folks? What does being employed as a Sherpa have to do with race? I’m pretty sure civil servants are diverse in race.
That's what I'm saying. The racism ranting is ludicrous. I'm agreeing.
Ahh gotcha. It kind of is a matter of context.

I don’t know how many are bothered by some calling deep pile fleece Sherpa. I do know that some find it offensive when people call themselves Sherpas in the context of like a trek guide, it’s like making a false claim to them like an insult. They will correct you for it. My cousin has done a few climbs and treks in the Himalayas. She did Everest for her 60th birthday with her Dd. sherpas in the context of work, and only adding this because there seems a bit of confusion, are emissaries for summit conferences.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If North Face wants to change how they label / describe their products that's entirely their choice. If other companies want to continue using existing labels / descriptions that entirely their choice. I'm not going to think that either choice is wrong because it's just that - a choice.

Makes me think of the term "Master Bedroom" and "Master Bathroom". DH and I enjoy watching HGTV and have noticed that they seem to have removed all reference in that manner and now use "Primary" or "Main" instead. That's HGTV's choice and I don't have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with individual realtors making that change. I also don't have a problem with individual realtors still using "Master", and DH and I still use "Master" ourselves. And honestly I think a good realtor would know their audience and switch up which terms they use depending on the client they are working with, because especially a lot of older generations could get confused by "Primary" and would be more comfortable with "Master".
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:13 am
Pjmm wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:10 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:54 am

How about a Sherpa living in the US? There are over 5000.
I don’t know what they think of it. All I know is North wants to change the name. Which is fine but I don’t see how is racist anymore than French dressing is. But if it is upsetting to Sherpas then so be it. I’m speaking of Tibetans and what is happening to Mount Everest bothers me more I guess.
I imagine the French would be upset if jackets were sold lined with French, dog beds were topped with French, or you could curl up with a blanket made with French, lol.
But eating French is no problem? As in French bread, French toast, French fries. There are so many foods in US culture that have some sort of other country attached to them, probably because the food concept originated in that country, but it would be incredibly hard to eliminate all of those foods from the US common language.

And what if it's not food nor a tangible item? Like Dutch treat? It's a concept. Should we change all those as well?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:01 am That isn’t what they are saying… they are changing it to a more appropriate term because it can be appropriation to name a fashion style off of an ethnic group. They aren’t saying that you are racist for owning the jacket. I see zero problem with changing the name to something more respectful to the group they are trying to honor.
Yet we still refer to this as a kilt
kilt1.jpg
That is not a kilt it is a tartan skirt, this is a kilt
kilt.jpg
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:10 am

I don’t know what they think of it. All I know is North wants to change the name. Which is fine but I don’t see how is racist anymore than French dressing is. But if it is upsetting to Sherpas then so be it. I’m speaking of Tibetans and what is happening to Mount Everest bothers me more I guess.
I imagine the French would be upset if jackets were sold lined with French, dog beds were topped with French, or you could curl up with a blanket made with French, lol.
But eating French is no problem? As in French bread, French toast, French fries. There are so many foods in US culture that have some sort of other country attached to them, probably because the food concept originated in that country, but it would be incredibly hard to eliminate all of those foods from the US common language.

And what if it's not food nor a tangible item? Like Dutch treat? It's a concept. Should we change all those as well?
In all of the cases you listed, the nationality (French) is used as a descriptive adjective for the type of product. Sherpa is the name of the product and used as a noun. It would be odd to say breaded French, toasted French, or fried French. Pick any ethnicity and fill in the blank - "I have a jacket lined with ________________". It sounds weird, doesn't it?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:27 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:05 pm

In all of the cases you listed, the nationality (French) is used as a descriptive adjective for the type of product. Sherpa is the name of the product and used as a noun. It would be odd to say breaded French, toasted French, or fried French. Pick any ethnicity and fill in the blank - "I have a jacket lined with ________________". It sounds weird, doesn't it?
It's not really a noun. Sherpa is describing the type of fleece - sherpa fleece. Even if they are using just the word sherpa without the word fleece, it's still implied as an adjective. The fabric itself is described as "sherpa fleece fabric". The only noun is "fabric". Even if you have a "sherpa jacket" the noun is still the jacket while "sherpa" describes what kind of jacket, hence adjective. Just like if I say "leather jacket", while leather on it's own can be a noun, in the instance of "leather jacket" it is being used to describe the jacket so it is an adjective.

So my point still stands. Other nationalities are used as adjectives in the English language all the time. What makes this any different?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:20 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:01 am That isn’t what they are saying… they are changing it to a more appropriate term because it can be appropriation to name a fashion style off of an ethnic group. They aren’t saying that you are racist for owning the jacket. I see zero problem with changing the name to something more respectful to the group they are trying to honor.
kilt1.jpg
kilt.jpg
Would you be offended if a company who made plaid fabric decided to register the trademark as "Scottish"? "Going out to the movies tonight and wearing my Scottish".
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:20 pm
kilt1.jpg
kilt.jpg
Okay? I wouldn’t call the first one a kilt. If someone does, you’re free to say something.
Locked Previous topicNext topic