Do you own any jackets made with sherpa lining?

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:10 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:54 am
Pjmm wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:38 am

If I were a Sherpa in Tibet I think I’d care more about the morons trying to climb Mount Everest, maybe dying, and littering the place with their corpses. While I risk my life as a guide. At least I have heard that’s what some do. They place ropes for the climbers. Which they can because they have a genetic ability to use oxygen well. I’m sure it’s a dangerous job for them. I’d probably also be concerned with whatever problems Tibet has. Maybe some care about a clothing line I’ve never heard of until recently. (I live under a rock.) I just assume they have bigger problems.
How about a Sherpa living in the US? There are over 5000.
I don’t know what they think of it. All I know is North wants to change the name. Which is fine but I don’t see how is racist anymore than French dressing is. But if it is upsetting to Sherpas then so be it. I’m speaking of Tibetans and what is happening to Mount Everest bothers me more I guess.
I imagine the French would be upset if jackets were sold lined with French, dog beds were topped with French, or you could curl up with a blanket made with French, lol.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:13 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:54 am

How about a Sherpa living in the US? There are over 5000.
I don’t know what they think of it. All I know is North wants to change the name. Which is fine but I don’t see how is racist anymore than French dressing is. But if it is upsetting to Sherpas then so be it. I’m speaking of Tibetans and what is happening to Mount Everest bothers me more I guess.
I imagine the French would be upset if jackets were sold lined with French, dog beds were topped with French, or you could curl up with a blanket made with French, lol.
Earlier I mentioned a cartoon where a character asked if baby powder is made from natural or artificial babies.
The term just refers a fabric reassembling the wool Sherpas wear. https://news.orvis.com/products-we-love ... rpa-better

I guess it can be construed as racist but I didn’t see it like that anymore than I see baby powder literally being made from babies. I assumed Sherpas wore it or invented it. I also don’t buy lined jackets and was unfamiliar with the term. I’ve heard wool lined, feather jackets, and polyester. If I’ve heard Sherpa lined I didn’t give it a thought. I thought it was wool and turns out I’m wrong.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:26 am
HanSolo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:16 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:23 pm

I don’t need to change anything about me. Racism is a serious issue so yes, I’ll take it seriously. Plenty of posts that I don’t take seriously.
How is this racist?
Considering that these folks are actually employed AS SHERPAS ...
So what?

You think there were a bunch of miners upset about miners helmets?

Italians that are pissed about Italian cut suits?

They work as sherpas and because it’s super cold they wear protective clothing, which is what the jackets are trying to copy… it’s protection from frostbite, which sherpas are probably the most knowledgeable people to go to for fashion advice in this instance…
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:23 pm

I don’t need to change anything about me. Racism is a serious issue so yes, I’ll take it seriously. Plenty of posts that I don’t take seriously.
How is this racist?
What folks? What does being employed as a Sherpa have to do with race? I’m pretty sure civil servants are diverse in race.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:44 am

Earlier I mentioned a cartoon where a character asked if baby powder is made from natural or artificial babies.
The term just refers a fabric reassembling the wool Sherpas wear. https://news.orvis.com/products-we-love ... rpa-better

I guess it can be construed as racist but I didn’t see it like that anymore than I see baby powder literally being made from babies. I assumed Sherpas wore it or invented it. I also don’t buy lined jackets and was unfamiliar with the term. I’ve heard wool lined, feather jackets, and polyester. If I’ve heard Sherpa lined I didn’t give it a thought. I thought it was wool and turns out I’m wrong.
Personally, I think it's a problem naming a product an ethnicity. Can you imagine saying I put Native American under my pits in the morning? But I don't think it was ill-intended. I remember when Sherpa came out and I along with probably a majority of the population thought it was a profession, not an ethnicity. I also think that they should change the name because know better do better.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:54 am

How is this racist?
So what?

They work as sherpas and because it’s super cold they wear protective clothing, which is what the jackets are trying to copy… it’s protection from frostbite, which sherpas are probably the most knowledgeable people to go to for fashion advice in this instance…
You can’t “work as a Sherpa”, Sherpa is an ethnic group, not a job. That is literally why north face is changing the name, so they can stop contributing to the pigeonholing an entire ethnic group solely as these unnamed Asian men who bring rich white guys up mountains.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:34 am
Pjmm wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:44 am

Personally, I think it's a problem naming a product an ethnicity. Can you imagine saying I put Native American under my pits in the morning? But I don't think it was ill-intended. I remember when Sherpa came out and I along with probably a majority of the population thought it was a profession, not an ethnicity. I also think that they should change the name because know better do better.
That’s fine. The name doesn’t bother me one way or another. I don’t know how Sherpas feel. I can only say when I was a kid Polish jokes were a thing. I’m Polish Italian and didn’t care. I think it’s good those jokes aren’t made anymore though. I also don’t care about Polish sausage. Or Italian sausage. No one seems to change those names. “Shrug”

I just think sometimes people worry a bit too much that’s all. And we worry over the wrong things.

As far as the profession I didn’t know it was one until I read an excerpt from Into Thin Air. Then I read more about Mount Everest and how Sherpas can handle attitude we can’t. They’re truly amazing.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:36 pm

So what?

You can’t “work as a Sherpa”, Sherpa is an ethnic group, not a job. That is literally why north face is changing the name, so they can stop contributing to the pigeonholing an entire ethnic group solely as these unnamed Asian men who bring rich white guys up mountains.
Yes… you can work as a sherpa.
Your capitalization and my lack of capitalization actually matters here…

https://project-himalaya.com/info-trek- ... roles.html
Anonymous 3

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm

So what?

I guess it depends on who you ask?

https://adventure-access.com/sherpa-eth ... eir%20name.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:12 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm

I guess it depends on who you ask?

https://adventure-access.com/sherpa-eth ... eir%20name.
I guess we should actually ask them…

Are there any Sherpas that are angry about the clothes, or is it everyone else that decided it’s offensive?
Locked Previous topicNext topic