He's mad because I'm refusing to take plan b

SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I had one IUD in my life and I did find it insanely painful. My doctor severely undersold how much pain I should expect, did not offer any local anesthetic to speak of, and then tried to gaslight me by saying that the insertion didn't hurt that bad after I literally almost threw up from the pain right in front of her. I changed doctors after that and my current one is not a sadist, but you couldn't pay me any amount of money to ever get another IUD.

Also, it is F***ing disgusting to discount someone's lived experience just because it differs from your own. What is wrong with you? I'm happy for anyone who didn't find their IUD insertion to be particularly painful, but it is not abnormal to experience extreme pain while having something forcibly shoved through your cervix without pain management, and it is certainly not abnormal to expect pain management to be offered.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:16 am Outrageously painful procedure??? We're talking IUD placement, not amputation. Outrageously painful. Please. It's done in the office and takes no more than 5 minutes once the uterine depth is determined.

Let me guess, you find pap smears to be horrific too?
SisterSomeone wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:10 am
Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:42 pm

That doesn't answer the question.
But it did. Using condoms was their chosen method of contraception. Since that method was working fine for them for years, why would she undergo an outrageously painful procedure to get another one?
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Thank you.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:56 pm Everybody’s body reacts differently. I have a very high pain tolerance. I’ve had five natural childbirths without epidurals, I’ve broken bones without shedding a tear. I got an IUD a few years back and it hurt worse than childbirth, between the insertion and the cramping afterward. I ended up having it removed. If someone is in a long term committed relationship and is willing to make the choices involved in an unwanted pregnancy, there is nothing wrong with using one form of reliable birth control.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:16 am Outrageously painful procedure??? We're talking IUD placement, not amputation. Outrageously painful. Please. It's done in the office and takes no more than 5 minutes once the uterine depth is determined.

But it did. Using condoms was their chosen method of contraception. Since that method was working fine for them for years, why would she undergo an outrageously painful procedure to get another one?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Your doctor was wrong to gaslight you and not take your specific pain seriously. Doctors should know that everyone is different and as soon as she saw the indications of pain in you, she should have done something about it.

But you have to realize, your experience was the exception, not the rule. So when talking about IUD insertion in general, it is very inflammatory to use terms such as "outrageously painful". That is not the experience of the majority of women who get an IUD. Many experience no pain at all. Many others just go home and take some Tylenol and lay down for a bit and it's all good. Those are typical experiences. It is not typical to offer local anesthetic for an IUD insertion.

This isn't about discounting someone's lived experience. I get what you are saying. I personally had two c-sections that were more pain than I've ever felt in my life. I don't know why it was so incredibly painful for me, but it was enough that it was one big factor in me deciding to never have any more kids. BUT, I know my experience is not TYPICAL for a c-section. Even though there are other mom's out there who have experienced the same pain I did, there are also a hell of a lot of mom's who felt like the c-section was no big deal. There are even ones who found the c-section to be a relief from the pain of labor.

Everyone is different and has their own story to tell. But still, each medical procedure has a typical and normal for that procedure, and sometimes some of us just fall outside of that typical and normal.
SisterSomeone wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:54 pm I had one IUD in my life and I did find it insanely painful. My doctor severely undersold how much pain I should expect, did not offer any local anesthetic to speak of, and then tried to gaslight me by saying that the insertion didn't hurt that bad after I literally almost threw up from the pain right in front of her. I changed doctors after that and my current one is not a sadist, but you couldn't pay me any amount of money to ever get another IUD.

Also, it is F***ing disgusting to discount someone's lived experience just because it differs from your own. What is wrong with you? I'm happy for anyone who didn't find their IUD insertion to be particularly painful, but it is not abnormal to experience extreme pain while having something forcibly shoved through your cervix without pain management, and it is certainly not abnormal to expect pain management to be offered.

Anonymous 7

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:19 pm Your doctor was wrong to gaslight you and not take your specific pain seriously. Doctors should know that everyone is different and as soon as she saw the indications of pain in you, she should have done something about it.

But you have to realize, your experience was the exception, not the rule. So when talking about IUD insertion in general, it is very inflammatory to use terms such as "outrageously painful". That is not the experience of the majority of women who get an IUD. Many experience no pain at all. Many others just go home and take some Tylenol and lay down for a bit and it's all good. Those are typical experiences. It is not typical to offer local anesthetic for an IUD insertion.

This isn't about discounting someone's lived experience. I get what you are saying. I personally had two c-sections that were more pain than I've ever felt in my life. I don't know why it was so incredibly painful for me, but it was enough that it was one big factor in me deciding to never have any more kids. BUT, I know my experience is not TYPICAL for a c-section. Even though there are other mom's out there who have experienced the same pain I did, there are also a hell of a lot of mom's who felt like the c-section was no big deal. There are even ones who found the c-section to be a relief from the pain of labor.

Everyone is different and has their own story to tell. But still, each medical procedure has a typical and normal for that procedure, and sometimes some of us just fall outside of that typical and normal.
SisterSomeone wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:54 pm I had one IUD in my life and I did find it insanely painful. My doctor severely undersold how much pain I should expect, did not offer any local anesthetic to speak of, and then tried to gaslight me by saying that the insertion didn't hurt that bad after I literally almost threw up from the pain right in front of her. I changed doctors after that and my current one is not a sadist, but you couldn't pay me any amount of money to ever get another IUD.

https://www.thelily.com/patients-are-wa ... ruciating/
Anonymous 7

Unread post

My daughter had a similar experience. Her IUD ended up becoming displaced after 6 months and she changed practices to a group of midwives in order to have her IUD removed. They told her that extreme pain was not uncommon, especially in small women and/or women who have never given birth vaginally. She will never get another IUD, not just because of the severe pain of insertion but for the months of cramps and bleeding that she experienced. It's hard because she can't take hormonal birth control so she and her partner rely on condoms.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

F***ing disgusting is not reading everyone’s replies and honing in on the one sentence you disagree with.

As someone else pointed out your experience is the exception not the norm. If yours was the norm then the IUD would have gone by way of the dinosaur.

With that said, had she been due to have a hysterosalpingiogram that found a huge polyp and blocked tube. I’d agree, outrageously painful. Been there done that.

If she said she was having an endometrial biopsy and said “outrageously painful”. Again I’d nod in 1000% agreement.

Please note however that not one other poster decried the outrageously painful procedure they experienced til she did.

So F***ing disgusting or not, of all the gyn procedures I have had, including my D&Cs, the IUD was a breeze. So much so when we decided we were done with birth control, I removed it myself. Again-not the typical experience, but a real one.

Anonymous 8

Unread post

Yeah. Uterine biopsies are supposed to be "slightly uncomfortable" too. I actually yelped and got tears in my eyes. Both times. And I'm no wimp. I don't take pain meds after surgery. I was awake when all 4 of my wisdom teeth were sawed out of my jawbone. But it's billed as "slightly uncomfortable". I also got an IUD and that was pretty damned close on the pain scale. It's not any lay down and take Tylenol procedure. There should be a law that they knock you out for some of these things. I don't doubt that some have found it more than "just a little pressure" as they like to say. Uncomfortable my aunt Fanny.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:24 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am

I’m sure you are old enough to realize that every body is different. Please.
Common side effects of IUD insertion are extreme cramping and bleeding.
Let me guess, you assume everyone has the same experiences and pain threshold as you?
I'm with Anon 4 on this. Every body is different, but "outrageously painful" or "extreme cramping" is outside the norm of what to expect from IUD insertion. I base that on what my doctor told me to expect before I had mine inserted. He said there could be some cramping and some spotting, but it would be mild to moderate and nothing that a bit of Tylenol couldn't handle. If I had had mine inserted and then had "outrageous pain" or "extreme cramping" I would have called my doctor right away because that would be indication that something was wrong.

For someone to expect cramping and pain with their IUD insertion, yes, that is normal. It's when you add the adjectives "outrageous" or "extreme", that's no longer normal and not a general way I would describe the procedure.
You should really research some of the stories that a lot of women tell about the pain that they have during and after an IUD insertion or removal I for one almost pass out.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Why do you refuse pain meds after a surgery or refuse anesthesia for a surgery? Are you a former drug addict? And I am really surprised an oral surgeon would perform an impacted surgical removal with NOTHING used. That's just too hard to believe.
Anonymous 8 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:35 pm Yeah. Uterine biopsies are supposed to be "slightly uncomfortable" too. I actually yelped and got tears in my eyes. Both times. And I'm no wimp. I don't take pain meds after surgery. I was awake when all 4 of my wisdom teeth were sawed out of my jawbone. But it's billed as "slightly uncomfortable". I also got an IUD and that was pretty damned close on the pain scale. It's not any lay down and take Tylenol procedure. There should be a law that they knock you out for some of these things. I don't doubt that some have found it more than "just a little pressure" as they like to say. Uncomfortable my aunt Fanny.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Thank you. To put it plainly, it didn't cross my mind that there was a significant number of women who didn't find it crazy painful. All of the women in my life who have had IUDs had experiences similar to mine, and my SIL is a gynecologist who says that it is her standard practice to offer pain management for IUD insertion because in her experience the majority of her patients had pain that was closer to severe than to tolerable. I'm also internet-friendly with several gynecologists across the US who are in my abortion access network and all of them have publicly held very strong and loud opinions about pain management for IUD insertion and gynecological procedures in general.

I talked about this to a lot of people and did a lot of research on it because it still kind of bothers me that I never filed a complaint against that doctor. I wanted to know whether I was right to feel so violated or if I truly was one in a million. So I wouldn't actually agree that it's super unusual to feel severe pain.

Still, I'll acknowledge that I may have swung too far in the opposite direction and overestimated the prevalence of severe pain, and I am sorry the language I used came across as inflammatory, that wasn't my intention. I will draw the line at calling severe pain atypical though.
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:19 pm Your doctor was wrong to gaslight you and not take your specific pain seriously. Doctors should know that everyone is different and as soon as she saw the indications of pain in you, she should have done something about it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic