Did I over react? School related.

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My dd’s teachers have her phone number BUT she also attends a virtual charter school. She has required check ins. While these are done through their zoom live lessons rooms, IF the student misses their check in, they get a text or if for whatever reason they can’t use zoom at that time then it’s done over the phone. However, the school had asked for permission first and there is the option of using the parent’s number instead. The situations are completely different though so hardly comparable.

I don’t know enough about Google classroom and nothing about the Remind app, do they directly contact the student or reliant on the student to actually log in and check for any correspondence from the teachers? What’s the general experience of the teachers on how many students actually check them?
Just-mom
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:01 am That teacher needs fired.

Why do you not know what kind of assignments your child is getting? Do you not talk about what they did in school that day?
Because she is a Jr in high school, and unless she is struggling in a class or needs help, I really don't pay attention to each and every assignment. Especially those beginning of the year assignments, that are usually just read the syllabus and sign that you read them or tell me about yourself and how you like to learn. Had she mentioned this to me sooner, I would have taken action sooner. She chose not to do the assignment (Which shouldn't have affect her grade a whole 10%) then when she was basically forced to she did say something. She is taught to try to deal with your issues by yourself... if that is not working THEN I will step in and that's exactly what happened.
Just-mom
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:50 am My dd’s teachers have her phone number BUT she also attends a virtual charter school. She has required check ins. While these are done through their zoom live lessons rooms, IF the student misses their check in, they get a text or if for whatever reason they can’t use zoom at that time then it’s done over the phone. However, the school had asked for permission first and there is the option of using the parent’s number instead. The situations are completely different though so hardly comparable.

I don’t know enough about Google classroom and nothing about the Remind app, do they directly contact the student or reliant on the student to actually log in and check for any correspondence from the teachers? What’s the general experience of the teachers on how many students actually check them?
The students have google class room for all their classes so they check it daily. As for the remind app. We have one for cheer and I have it for staff at school. For the remind app, all we had to do was text a code (given to us) to a number and our phone was added to the group. It comes out like a text on my phone when I get a message. You do have to sign in to send a message, but you will get a notification you have a message (Like messenger)
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, his request was totally inappropriate. People should never give out a personal phone number or other info.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

To me, this reeks of manipulation on his part...give me your private phone number, and I'll move your grade up.

You were not overreacting.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Just-mom wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:50 am My dd’s teachers have her phone number BUT she also attends a virtual charter school. She has required check ins. While these are done through their zoom live lessons rooms, IF the student misses their check in, they get a text or if for whatever reason they can’t use zoom at that time then it’s done over the phone. However, the school had asked for permission first and there is the option of using the parent’s number instead. The situations are completely different though so hardly comparable.

The students have google class room for all their classes so they check it daily. As for the remind app. We have one for cheer and I have it for staff at school. For the remind app, all we had to do was text a code (given to us) to a number and our phone was added to the group. It comes out like a text on my phone when I get a message. You do have to sign in to send a message, but you will get a notification you have a message (Like messenger)
So a very viable way to message students without having their personal phone number or waiting for them to check emails, webmail, or message boards. Yeah, as I said, really not comparable situations and in this case it was unnecessary with other means.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No, you didn’t overreact. If it were me, I would either change my dd’s number or block him. Of course my kid would have gotten a textme account and gave him that number. The great thing about that is you can forfeit your number and get a new one.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

If they were to change a student's schedule every time they dislike a teacher, schedules would be changing constantly, all year long. So I understand them not changing the teacher. But, that assignment was totally inappropriate and his reaction to everything was also wildly inappropriate.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:01 am That teacher needs fired.

Why do you not know what kind of assignments your child is getting? Do you not talk about what they did in school that day?
LOL You must have little kids...
Locked Previous topicNext topic