Covid and food...

sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Wondering how all of you would have handled a situation that came up recently...

Myself and another mom are in charge of the weekly team dinner for the HS football team. The football program supplies the main course and parent volunteers bring desserts (homemade or store bought). One of the parents who volunteered to bring a dessert this week tested positive for Covid the other day. Dinner is tonight. She offered to bring dessert and just leave it at the door for us. We told her that would not be necessary as we have plenty of other volunteers bringing dessert.

Should we have allowed her to bring dessert?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes. Telling her it wasn't necessary for her to bring dessert negated her kind gesture.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

No you shouldn't allow her to bring the dessert let her focus on getting better not making something
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Allowed? Idk. I would have told her not to worry about it and to focus on taking care of herself. (Which sounds like you probably did) I’d just feel horrible inferring otherwise.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 pm Yes. Telling her it wasn't necessary for her to bring dessert negated her kind gesture.
Normally I would agree with this, but we do these dinners weekly and this is week #3. She has brought items each of the other weeks and has been there to help prep and serve so it isn't like she hasn't had a chance to help. And we have 5 more dinners so she will have plenty of other opportunities.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’d have thanked her and told her to focus on getting better, not because she has Covid and a fear of it passing through the food, but because that should be her focus. I’d say the same to some who is just ‘regular’ sick.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It's a food-health safety violation to have someone that is ill actively preparing food. If you wouldn't allow it at a restaurant, it shouldn't be allowed any event where food is served to the public.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

This is such a stupid way of thinking. How many fast food/restaurant workers do you think have prepared your food with covid... The answer is a lot. Have you got covid from eating? Nope. It is extremely low risk from contacting covid through touching objects especially food.

If you don't wipe down everything you get from the grocery store or buy from other stores because you aren't concerned, this should be no different.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:19 pm This is such a stupid way of thinking. How many fast food/restaurant workers do you think have prepared your food with covid... The answer is a lot. Have you got covid from eating? Nope. It is extremely low risk from contacting covid through touching objects especially food.

If you don't wipe down everything you get from the grocery store or buy from other stores because you aren't concerned, this should be no different.
Don’t care. Like everyone else says she’s sick. She should be resting not worrying about making something for a dinner. The correct response should have been “oh I do appreciate the offer but we have it covered. Please rest up and we’ll catch you next time”
Locked Previous topicNext topic