We need to understand

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:49 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:54 pm I am not a fan of hers and maybe this is going over my head but what did she say wrong or condescending?

People think banks shouldn’t have gotten help and small community aren’t meant to focus on their local community or limited geographical area that they serve?

I’m trying to understand the controversy. Lol
She didn’t do anything wrong , she just said “community” way too many times for that sentence.

It’s more of an editorial gaffe lol…
Oh I think there are bigger fish to fry then wording without doing or saying anything wrong.

Edit: Sorry, typed this on my phone, so I had to correct.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:50 pm Public speaking is not easy and some of our American leaders have not had the greatest knack to convey what they wish to flawlessly.

Biden às well, seems to struggle with it at times yet to me, it appears that he's trying to just speak to the American people and press like he's on their level.

There's only been two former president's who had the knack.... Clinton and Obama...in recent years IMO. Trump was horrible when it came to public speaking and sounded like he needed to blow his nose.

I've sometimes wondered if our VP might be a little socially awkward? Not an insult or put down but a speculation that is based on her verbal approaches during a speech or even being asked questions from a reporter?
Harris was a DA, a state AG, and a junior senator she should be far more eloquent than she was. Trump speaks like a moron and talks in circles, yet his followers don’t seem to notice, maybe these are who she was trying to reach with her comments because I think everyone else has the capability of understanding what investing in community banks means and how it could be beneficial.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

She still makes more sense than Trump 🤷🏽‍♀️
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:50 pm Public speaking is not easy and some of our American leaders have not had the greatest knack to convey what they wish to flawlessly.

Biden às well, seems to struggle with it at times yet to me, it appears that he's trying to just speak to the American people and press like he's on their level.

There's only been two former president's who had the knack.... Clinton and Obama...in recent years IMO. Trump was horrible when it came to public speaking and sounded like he needed to blow his nose.

I've sometimes wondered if our VP might be a little socially awkward? Not an insult or put down but a speculation that is based on her verbal approaches during a speech or even being asked questions from a reporter?
Adding to your list (and looking back on it), George W Bush was not the most articulate but I swear his humor was iconic at times. Lol

That is a good point. I think old school politicians had a certain charisma that connected with the public regardless of political leaning or their short comings. Now…..they all just come off loud, confused and clueless.

As far as Kamala Harris, I don’t mean this in a bad way…..but I agree. I think she is on the socially awkward side and not exactly sure where she fits in.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I think that Kamala Harris has a problem with communication and wish her "team" would work with her on being more effective.

IMO, this is not a big deal.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:54 pm I am not a fan of hers and maybe this is going over my head but what did she say wrong or condescending?

People think banks shouldn’t have gotten help and small community aren’t meant to focus on their local community or limited geographical area that they serve?

She needs new speechwriters. Every speech is a word salad. It’s like they pick a “word of the day” and see how many times it can be used. After being used a couple times that word becomes the focus and the point is lost.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:30 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:30 am We need to understand things that need to be understood. If we understand things then it is understood that we understand things that need understood.

Or as Kamala put it,

"We invested an additional $12 billion into community banks, because we know community banks are in the community, and understand the needs and desires of that community as well as the talent and capacity of community,"
Makes total sense. $12 billion has been invested in community banks, banks that know their customers, know the local issues, economy, jobs, etc. Hopefully it will help the community banks compete with the mammoth banks.
But is it necessary to use the word community FIVE times in one sentence?
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Do you have a link to where she said what you quoted? I assumed it was said in the press call on ECIP but the transcript of that call doesn't match your quote.
ETA: I found it. It was during a round table discussion.

I think that Harris is much more articulate when she has prepared remarks. She does stumble when speaking off the cuff. I get it as I do the same. I'm pretty good at public speaking and presenting but suck at media interviews.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:02 am

She needs new speechwriters. Every speech is a word salad. It’s like they pick a “word of the day” and see how many times it can be used. After being used a couple times that word becomes the focus and the point is lost.
Trump’s public speaking was atrocious, so that behavior was considered acceptable before she got into office. No problem admitting that she isn’t the best speaker but we can’t have higher expectations for a VP than we do the President.

Is that fair?
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:16 am Do you have a link to where she said what you quoted? I assumed it was said in the press call on ECIP but the transcript of that call doesn't match your quote.
ETA: I found it. It was during a round table discussion.

I think that Harris is much more articulate when she has prepared remarks. She does stumble when speaking off the cuff. I get it as I do the same. I'm pretty good at public speaking and presenting but suck at media interviews.
Locked Previous topicNext topic