Separation of Church and State Vs. Christian led Manifest Destiny

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

How do the two fit together?

If the same people who wrote separation of church and state, equally and at the same time plus throughout presidential changes decided to kill everyone in the way of their domination and religion spread… what did they truly mean when they wrote the clause?

Were they simply hypocrites?
Did they only mean to protect the Christian faith?
Were they being sympathetic to the needs of other religions that also were seen on the continent?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

From what I understand the founding fathers weren’t particularly Christian. While that might be their upbringing I think they believed in the philosophy and rational thinking that was in Europe. I heard, although I don’t know, that Ben Franklin hung with Voltaire. Certainly they were both alive in the same time period. Both Ben and Thomas Jefferson had their affairs. They weren’t living a so called Christian life. It’s possible they were also horrified over the Salem witch hunts. Although far before their time they must have known about them. I think they wanted separation of church and state to ensure their new country wouldn’t prosecute or attempt to toss out free thinkers. Don’t forget the puritans were here in the first place to escape religious persecution in Europe. So yes they wanted freedom of religion. But they wanted to be free from religion themselves. Now maybe I’m totally wrong here but that’s how I see it. I don’t believe Christianity is prosecuted here. I do think the criticisms against it is completely justified and we have a lot to answer for.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Damn Democrats.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The original 13 colonies were each a different flavor of Christianity and they conceived church/state separation to protect their sects from rule by other sects.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

When the constitution was being written, the founding fathers saw themselves, and the new American society, as "chosen" but specifically to spread liberty and democracy. They believe it was their destiny, within providence, to protect freedom above all else, and specifically to expressly forbid an established church. Democracy became the new Manifest Destiny.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I think people would prefer it if they weren’t Christian’s… Right? I mean that would make everything work better in our day and age…

But the evidence doesn’t really support that.

The thought is that maybe they were secretly not Christian, but even their adherence to freemasonry had an extreme bias towards Christianity and Kabbalistic teachings.

They were church members, they were baptized, they talk about being Christians in their personal writings…Washington himself was in his day known as a devout Anglican raised by a super religious woman.
Pjmm wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 am From what I understand the founding fathers weren’t particularly Christian. While that might be their upbringing I think they believed in the philosophy and rational thinking that was in Europe. I heard, although I don’t know, that Ben Franklin hung with Voltaire. Certainly they were both alive in the same time period. Both Ben and Thomas Jefferson had their affairs. They weren’t living a so called Christian life. It’s possible they were also horrified over the Salem witch hunts. Although far before their time they must have known about them. I think they wanted separation of church and state to ensure their new country wouldn’t prosecute or attempt to toss out free thinkers. Don’t forget the puritans were here in the first place to escape religious persecution in Europe. So yes they wanted freedom of religion. But they wanted to be free from religion themselves. Now maybe I’m totally wrong here but that’s how I see it. I don’t believe Christianity is prosecuted here. I do think the criticisms against it is completely justified and we have a lot to answer for.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:00 am How do the two fit together?

If the same people who wrote separation of church and state, equally and at the same time plus throughout presidential changes decided to kill everyone in the way of their domination and religion spread… what did they truly mean when they wrote the clause?

Were they being sympathetic to the needs of other religions that also were seen on the continent?
"Manifest Destiny" was a cultural belief promoted in the mid-1800's to justify the forced annexation of land. It was never an official policy of the government, and had nothing to do with the founding of the country or the Constitution of the USA.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:09 pm I think people would prefer it if they weren’t Christian’s… Right? I mean that would make everything work better in our day and age…

But the evidence doesn’t really support that.

The thought is that maybe they were secretly not Christian, but even their adherence to freemasonry had an extreme bias towards Christianity and Kabbalistic teachings.

They were church members, they were baptized, they talk about being Christians in their personal writings…Washington himself was in his day known as a devout Anglican raised by a super religious woman.
Pjmm wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 am From what I understand the founding fathers weren’t particularly Christian. While that might be their upbringing I think they believed in the philosophy and rational thinking that was in Europe. I heard, although I don’t know, that Ben Franklin hung with Voltaire. Certainly they were both alive in the same time period. Both Ben and Thomas Jefferson had their affairs. They weren’t living a so called Christian life. It’s possible they were also horrified over the Salem witch hunts. Although far before their time they must have known about them. I think they wanted separation of church and state to ensure their new country wouldn’t prosecute or attempt to toss out free thinkers. Don’t forget the puritans were here in the first place to escape religious persecution in Europe. So yes they wanted freedom of religion. But they wanted to be free from religion themselves. Now maybe I’m totally wrong here but that’s how I see it. I don’t believe Christianity is prosecuted here. I do think the criticisms against it is completely justified and we have a lot to answer for.
I honestly don’t care what our founding fathers were, be it Christian, Jewish or secret Chtullu worshipers. 😀 I also don’t fully know their beliefs. I simply stated I think Franklin might have been influenced by Voltaire and other philosophers of the day. It just seems to me they wanted both religious freedom and separation of church and state. They probably wanted it because many pilgrims came fleeing religious persecution. So if you were Christian, Quaker, Catholic or a Mason you could practice as you wanted. And the government couldn’t persecute you for it. I’m not sure what their being Christian has to do with their wanting separation of church and state. Who cares?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:27 pm

"Manifest Destiny" was a cultural belief promoted in the mid-1800's to justify the forced annexation of land. It was never an official policy of the government, and had nothing to do with the founding of the country or the Constitution of the USA.
James Madison.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:32 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:27 pm

James Madison.
No clue what you are trying to communicate.
Locked Previous topicNext topic