Rep. Lauren Boebert said humanity is in its 'last days' and Christians should 'rise up,' invoking Christian nationalist

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:18 am
Aletheia wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:28 am Biblicism: a high regard for the Bible
Crucicentrism: a focus on Jesus’s crucifixion and its saving effects
Conversionism: a belief that humans need to be converted
Activism: the belief that faith should influence one’s public life
** High regard for the New Testament of the Bible.**
Would you say that fundamentalist Christians tend to be the ones promoting Old Testament views, and literal interpretation of parts that most other Christians would take as either metaphorical, or historic narrative rather than advocacy?

While evangelical Christians are the ones who tend to place a strong emphasis on the sole route to salvation being through Christ and conversion (and preaching to) non-Christians and those whose Christianity doesn't match their own?

(Of course, someone can be both fundamentalist AND evangelical, at the same time.)
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:09 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:59 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:35 am

I think the focus was the proclivity to promote violence…

All the rest, I agree… that’s what she and millions of Americans think. But they know they can vote to get their agendas through.
Some do promote violence against those of differing beliefs. Idk how predominant this is or even if it’s escalated. My parents are Christian. Every time we moved they’d try out churches until they found one they felt at home at. A few, my parents stated were too cult like, they targeted military families and wanted assurances that they’d take up arms when the time came under the pastor’s orders. BUT as I said this was a few and not the general majority. However, I’ve also not been a member of a church in a few decades and honestly don’t keep track of what is popping up more.

I think most people vote their beliefs whether faith based or not. I do think it would be very daunting though if we lost even the fundamentals that our constitution sets forth.

Maybe that’s the key question that is also the difference in how the two sides might think…

How do you define fundamentals in the Constitution? Should amendments count, or should they not count as a fundamental because they were added later and not part of the original constitution?
I define the fundamentals of the constitution as the basic known ideology of the framers. The articles and amendments just spell it out more or emphasizes the fundamentals. They wanted a separation of church and state. This isn’t explicitly stated BUT its a known ideology and one necessary for freedom of religion. I can expand on all this but I think this does well in a more direct answer.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Christian nationalism, a belief that the United States was founded as a white, Christian nation and that there is no separation between church and state, is gaining steam on the right."

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... n-00057736
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So, are they illiterate or have reading comprehension challenges? Separation of church and state doesn't even ring a bell to them? smdh. ....

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm "Christian nationalism, a belief that the United States was founded as a white, Christian nation and that there is no separation between church and state, is gaining steam on the right."

Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:46 pm "Christian nationalism, a belief that the United States was founded as a white, Christian nation and that there is no separation between church and state, is gaining steam on the right."

Scary isn’t it? Nationalism has zero place in democracy. In fact, it’s very anti-democracy.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:19 pm

Scary isn’t it? Nationalism has zero place in democracy. In fact, it’s very anti-democracy.
Nationalism has always been a huge part of American life.

Every sports game we have is still opened up with our nation anthem, hands over heart…
Every school kid’s day is still started with a pledge of allegiance to our flag, hand over hearts still…

We’re weirdly nationalistic to other nations.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:25 pm

Every sports game we have is still opened up with our nation anthem, hands over heart…
Every school kid’s day is still started with a pledge of allegiance to our flag, hand over hearts still…

Nationalism and patriotism isn’t the same thing. It’s odd you think we are weirdly nationalistic to other countries when there are many that are nationalist countries: China, Russia, Japan, North Korea…

I haven’t said the pledge of allegiance since kindergarten and oldest was only one of my kids who started their school day with it but only when she went to K4 at a private school.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:42 pm

Nationalism and patriotism isn’t the same thing. It’s odd you think we are weirdly nationalistic to other countries when there are many that are nationalist countries: China, Russia, Japan, North Korea…

I haven’t said the pledge of allegiance since kindergarten and oldest was only one of my kids who started their school day with it but only when she went to K4 at a private school.
I've never said the pledge of allegiance and neither of my kids have either. Our county board of supervisors recently voted to start every meeting with the pledge and it's weird to me as that was the first time hearing it said by a group.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

They’re the SUPER CRAZY nationalist countries…

But compared to every other Western European country were weirdly nationalist.

Pretty much every public school in the country starts the day with the pledge. We even used to do what looked like the Nazi salute before that bastard stole it and we had to change it to the hand over heart…

But I would say we fit the definition of modern nationalism.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/patriotism-vs-nationalism

“In most contexts today, nationalism is “the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one’s own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.” In short, nationalism is a kind of excessive, aggressive patriotism.
Modern nationalism is rooted, in part, in French and American revolutions that fought for the sovereignty of their people over monarchies. This historic nationalism is generally viewed favorably, a cornerstone of Western liberalism and democracy.”
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:50 pm

I've never said the pledge of allegiance and neither of my kids have either. Our county board of supervisors recently voted to start every meeting with the pledge and it's weird to me as that was the first time hearing it said by a group.
The “under God” was on the debate rotation when I started school. None of the DoD school I went to started the day with it. It was done at the occasional assemblies but optional.
Locked Previous topicNext topic