Free speech

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:52 pm Stuff like this has been all over my timeline. I don’t know enough about her to agree or disagree but a lot of people have been dragging her for being racist.
For the comment or for other things?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Did Queen Elizabeth herself commit atrocities towards Nigeria? If not then it’s a bit like blaming Joe Biden for the Trail of Tears. I can understand the professor’s anger but not for wishing torture on a woman who had nothing to do with the atrocities. All countries, probably including Nigeria itself has a dark past. All the leaders can do is acknowledge it, make reparations if they can, and do better.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:57 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:17 pm
RIZZY1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:12 am I can't fault them for not mourning the Queen of a monarchy which suppressed them so viciously.

At the same time, the Mau Mau uprising happened in the same year she came to power. Not to mention, the British Monarchy became symbolic over 200 years before that. To say that she, in particular, should writhe in pain for eternity seems a bit much to me.

But not mourning her death? Makes perfect sense.
I think it’s just shocking to see someone come out and say what she feels so honestly. I don’t think her employer had any business commenting on it, she had the right to say it.
I hope she’s not canceled.
Her employer does have a right to comment on it. That too is freedom of speech. They also have a right to decide whether she remains employed with them freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences.
They did comment and that was fine. If it starts to be a common policy that people are fired for publicly stating an unpopular opinion wouldn’t that be the beginning of the end of free speech?
Deleted User 1977

My understanding is that the professor wrote this on Twitter and Twitter deleted it. She apparently came back for more though I'm unsure on that as I'm no longer on Twitter and have only read her story on news sites.

Freedom of Speech should exist but that pertains to everyone, including those who oppose her views.

Her employer almost had an obligation to respond as it's been made public which university she works for.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Pjmm wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:20 pm Did Queen Elizabeth herself commit atrocities towards Nigeria? If not then it’s a bit like blaming Joe Biden for the Trail of Tears. I can understand the professor’s anger but not for wishing torture on a woman who had nothing to do with the atrocities. All countries, probably including Nigeria itself has a dark past. All the leaders can do is acknowledge it, make reparations if they can, and do better.
Yes Queen Elizabeth, the monarchy and the British military committed atrocities after the uprising for independence. No , that comparison isn’t even close.

There was a civil war between tribes in Kenya but Mau Mau also fought White settlers who stole their land. The British created detention camps detaining tens of thousands of supporters of independence.

It’s complicated and no one comes out of it completely clean. But the Queen during this era was not there to smile and have tea parties.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:58 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:52 pm Stuff like this has been all over my timeline. I don’t know enough about her to agree or disagree but a lot of people have been dragging her for being racist.
Similar comments like the one in the OP about her past and death.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:57 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:20 pm Did Queen Elizabeth herself commit atrocities towards Nigeria? If not then it’s a bit like blaming Joe Biden for the Trail of Tears. I can understand the professor’s anger but not for wishing torture on a woman who had nothing to do with the atrocities. All countries, probably including Nigeria itself has a dark past. All the leaders can do is acknowledge it, make reparations if they can, and do better.
Yes Queen Elizabeth, the monarchy and the British military committed atrocities after the uprising for independence. No , that comparison isn’t even close.

There was a civil war between tribes in Kenya but Mau Mau also fought White settlers who stole their land. The British created detention camps detaining tens of thousands of supporters of independence.

It’s complicated and no one comes out of it completely clean. But the Queen during this era was not there to smile and have tea parties.
I admit I know nothing about Kenya’s civil war which was why I asked. I will have to read thoroughly to get an understanding of it. I won’t say the professor isn’t wrong for being angry, just that i can’t blame her employer for putting out her views aren’t theirs. After all she just wished unending pain on the queen or words to that affect.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:34 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:57 pm
Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:17 pm

I think it’s just shocking to see someone come out and say what she feels so honestly. I don’t think her employer had any business commenting on it, she had the right to say it.
I hope she’s not canceled.
Her employer does have a right to comment on it. That too is freedom of speech. They also have a right to decide whether she remains employed with them freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences.
They did comment and that was fine. If it starts to be a common policy that people are fired for publicly stating an unpopular opinion wouldn’t that be the beginning of the end of free speech?
It is pretty common for people to be fired for things they post on social media. Free speech isn’t free of consequences. Words matter, if you, general you, are not willing to accept this then maybe you, again general, should decide how much those words matter. No, it wouldn’t be the beginning of the end of free speech.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:15 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:58 pm
Similar comments like the one in the OP about her past and death.
For some reason I thought you’d meant Dr Uju Anya, not Queen Elizabeth 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

AZOldCoot wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:49 pm My understanding is that the professor wrote this on Twitter and Twitter deleted it. She apparently came back for more though I'm unsure on that as I'm no longer on Twitter and have only read her story on news sites.

Freedom of Speech should exist but that pertains to everyone, including those who oppose her views.

Her employer almost had an obligation to respond as it's been made public which university she works for.
That’s fine. I’m just glad the Woke police didn’t demand her to be fired.
Locked Previous topicNext topic