Free speech

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Dr. Uju Anya, a Nigerian professor at Carnegie Mellon Tweeted-

“I heard the chief monarch of a thieving raping genocidal empire is finally dying. May her pain be excruciating,” the professor wrote before it was announced the Queen had died.”

After much backlash she Tweeted:

“ “If anyone expects me to express anything but disdain for the monarch who supervised a government that sponsored the genocide that massacred and displaced half my family and the consequences of which those alive today are still trying to overcome, you can keep wishing upon a star,” she tweeted.”

It makes me think of what would be Tweeted if Putin was on his deathbed. How would anyone feel if a leader responsible for a genocide of your people died.

African history is hard to follow because of rapid changes and new countries emerging while old ones disappear. 50 years ago colonialism was still alive in African countries.

Many have forgiven England but the younger generations can’t forget the stories of their grandparents and parents suffering in the name of the crown and the brutality.

““You can look at the monarchy from the point of view of high tea and nice outfits and charity,” said Alice Mugo, a 34-year-old lawyer in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi. “But there’s also the ugly side, and for you to ignore the ugly side is dishonest.”
Ms. Mugo said she recently found her grandmother’s “movement pass,” issued when the British colonial government in Kenya declared a state of emergency to help suppress the anticolonial Mau Mau rebellion. The passes restricted the free movement of Kenyans.”

This clampdown on Kenyans, which began just months after the queen ascended the throne, led to the establishment of a vast system of detention camps and the torture, rape, castration and killing of tens of thousands of people.

Young people like Naledi Mashishi was told her South African grandmother was forced to sing the God Save the Queen anthem each day at school.

And in the wake of the queen’s death, Ms. Mashishi joined a legion of young South Africans demanding the return of the diamonds that form part of the crown jewels.

The stone was a gift from the Afrikaner government to Elizabeth’s cousin, King Edward VII after the South African War, also known as the Anglo-Boer War. But Black South Africans have questioned whether a hostile occupation of a White minority government’s had any right to it.

People who have lost family members during a brutal occupation have the right to say whatever they want. Just like Ukrainians will with Putin.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... ml?r=45898

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/09/worl ... mpire.html
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Was there a question here? In the US we have the right to free speech as outlined in our constitution. That does not mean we won't receive backlash for what we say but we cannot be imprisoned simply for saying it. Whether other countries have that same right is another matter. Some allow free speech others will have you imprisoned (North Korea comes to mind). In Russia critics of Putin find themselves falling out of windows at alarming rates.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I guess she wants to write over everything Nigerians did to promote the slave trade and rape as punishment.

If we just talk about how bad the British were, they might forget how bad we were too…
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I can't fault them for not mourning the Queen of a monarchy which suppressed them so viciously.

At the same time, the Mau Mau uprising happened in the same year she came to power. Not to mention, the British Monarchy became symbolic over 200 years before that. To say that she, in particular, should writhe in pain for eternity seems a bit much to me.

But not mourning her death? Makes perfect sense.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:12 am I can't fault them for not mourning the Queen of a monarchy which suppressed them so viciously.

At the same time, the Mau Mau uprising happened in the same year she came to power. Not to mention, the British Monarchy became symbolic over 200 years before that. To say that she, in particular, should writhe in pain for eternity seems a bit much to me.

I think it’s just shocking to see someone come out and say what she feels so honestly. I don’t think her employer had any business commenting on it, she had the right to say it.
I hope she’s not canceled.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

A5AA3808-0363-47AC-AC8D-5F0A89F00224.jpeg
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:29 am I guess she wants to write over everything Nigerians did to promote the slave trade and rape as punishment.

If we just talk about how bad the British were, they might forget how bad we were too…

No one is saying any country is without atrocities on their own people. But this was about an invading country pilfering their valuable resources and treated humans as nothing more than objects. On a scale that hopefully we will never see again.

And yes our country, founded by people from England, were just as vicious when it came to the slave trade. That’s not the subject.

The monarchy never issued an apology or attempt to right their wrongs.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:29 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:29 am I guess she wants to write over everything Nigerians did to promote the slave trade and rape as punishment.

No one is saying any country is without atrocities on their own people. But this was about an invading country pilfering their valuable resources and treated humans as nothing more than objects. On a scale that hopefully we will never see again.

And yes our country, founded by people from England, were just as vicious when it came to the slave trade. That’s not the subject.

The monarchy never issued an apology or attempt to right their wrongs.
The only difference was the scale. Everything she is angry at the Queen about, Nigeria did.

And not just Nigeria but hundreds of countries throughout human history…

The Queen didn’t do any of it though, and she returned a bunch of countries her ancestors had taken.

The phrase “an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind” comes to mind…
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Stuff like this has been all over my timeline. I don’t know enough about her to agree or disagree but a lot of people have been dragging her for being racist.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:17 pm
RIZZY1 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:12 am I can't fault them for not mourning the Queen of a monarchy which suppressed them so viciously.

I think it’s just shocking to see someone come out and say what she feels so honestly. I don’t think her employer had any business commenting on it, she had the right to say it.
I hope she’s not canceled.
Her employer does have a right to comment on it. That too is freedom of speech. They also have a right to decide whether she remains employed with them freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences.
Locked Previous topicNext topic