RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:56 pm
SallyMae wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:48 pm The issue is not whether Her Late Majesty apologized, and it wouldn't help much if King Charles III did. They seem like okay people, and have tried to help others in some ways, but they personally are not the problem.

The problem is that they now have all the wealth. Charles personally just received one of the world's largest inherited fortunes and does not even have to pay taxes on it. This wealth was produced by generations of slaves and commoners and laborers and people who ate gruel. They did all the work, but the pile they made goes to him.

Meanwhile, Britain has become so poor that formerly middle-class people could freeze to death and starve in their homes this winter.

That hoarded wealth should *at least* be helping the people of Britain, who are still doing all the work. They don't need apologies. They need their share of Britain's wealth to keep them alive and give them a good life. And so do all the people who live in the places that were plundered. And so does almost everyone.

This is the problem - getting the hoarded wealth of the industrialized world into the hands of the people who made it and who need it. Apologies are nice, but nothing short of solving this will be good enough.
I think both issues can exist at the same time.

I was just reading an article where indigenous peoples in Canada have been asking the Queen as head of the Anglican Church to apologize for the Anglican Residential Schools - most recently last May. So they might see the lack of an apology as an "issue" but not care about the wealth of the monarchy. Someone living in England might see the wealth as the issue but see or have seen no need for an apology.
Totally agree. That’s why I always say that situations like this is up to the victims because the impact varies. Some may want an apology and some may not care about it at all. It’s not my place to say what a victim does or doesn’t need to find peace.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:38 am
Lemons wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:15 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:05 pm

I'm Irish, I don't go around crying about what The British did to my ancestors before I was born. What is the point? If everyone where going to cry about wrongs of the past the whole world would be crying and at war.
We remember victims of atrocities and suffering created by other countries. Remember the phrase “Never Forget”?

The UN declared March 25th International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade. This should never be forgotten.

We have an International Holocaust Remembrance Day. Should Jews stop crying about it because it happened before many of them were born?

In the mid 1800’s Ireland was another one of England’s colonies. The majority Catholic population wasn’t allowed to own land, vote or hold office. They worked for British landowners and paid rent. The Great Hunger began when a virus or something destroyed the potato crops. Potatoes are what the Irish Catholics lived on. Other crops like grain and meats were exported to England to pay England taxes and rent to English land owners. One million Irish people died during the potato famine. Another million left, a lot ending up in Boston, New York and Eastern Canada.

No need to cry but have some respect. What a callous way of thinking.
I'm not the one blaming the Queen for what happened to my family. What truly is the point? Do i bear it in mind? Of course. What is the value in living my life crying victim? I live in the here and now, not 106 years ago.
No one is saying it’s the monarch entire doing. They worked with their government to commit the crimes. But this idolatry of the woman is ridiculous, gross to watch.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:46 pm

We remember victims of atrocities and suffering created by other countries. Remember the phrase “Never Forget”?

The UN declared March 25th International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade. This should never be forgotten.

We have an International Holocaust Remembrance Day. Should Jews stop crying about it because it happened before many of them were born?

In the mid 1800’s Ireland was another one of England’s colonies. The majority Catholic population wasn’t allowed to own land, vote or hold office. They worked for British landowners and paid rent. The Great Hunger began when a virus or something destroyed the potato crops. Potatoes are what the Irish Catholics lived on. Other crops like grain and meats were exported to England to pay England taxes and rent to English land owners. One million Irish people died during the potato famine. Another million left, a lot ending up in Boston, New York and Eastern Canada.

I'm not the one blaming the Queen for what happened to my family. What truly is the point? Do i bear it in mind? Of course. What is the value in living my life crying victim? I live in the here and now, not 106 years ago.
No one is saying it’s the monarch entire doing. They worked with their government to commit the crimes. But this idolatry of the woman is ridiculous, gross to watch.
I think you’re confusing admiration with idolatry. If you find it gross to watch change the damn channel or scroll right on by. I doubt anyone is forcing you to watch, listen or read anything you find gross. GTFUAQYB
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Then don't watch it. Simple as that.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:14 pm

I think you’re confusing admiration with idolatry. If you find it gross to watch change the damn channel or scroll right on by. I doubt anyone is forcing you to watch, listen or read anything you find gross. GTFUAQYB

More Than 4.1 Billion Watch Queen's Funeral

https://www.newsweek.com/queen-elizabet ... ce-1744187
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:26 pm

More Than 4.1 Billion Watch Queen's Funeral

https://www.newsweek.com/queen-elizabet ... ce-1744187
So half of the people that exist in the world tuned in…
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:18 pm

They only parts I watched are the snippets from the news. Glad it’s over.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Then why bitch about it? Is it having a drastic affect on your life?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I didn’t watch it. The little snippets are everywhere I think a lot of admiration comes from people who don’t know England’s history.

When Castro died people mourned his death. Citizens of Cuba said they were better off when Castro overthrew dictator Batista. Many Cubans loved Castro. He was mourned during many days with Presidents and Reps from countries all over the world.

That doesn’t mean people don’t have the right to criticize Castro at the same time as others admire him. Same with the Queen.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:30 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Then why bitch about it? Is it having a drastic affect on your life?
Woah, this is the most responses I think you’ve ever given to anyone. You are taking this personally as if I’m talking about your family. Maybe discussing the dark history of the monarchy should have been a new post so you could mourn in peace. Sorry.
Locked Previous topicNext topic