RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:12 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:09 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:04 pm

You think the moment of someone’s death is the right time to go over it all?
Well, they say your funeral is your report card and death has a tendency to ruffle up raw emotions (good and bad). So I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s not a lie or flat out disrespectful (which goes back to the answer Dsam provided).
I wonder if riffling up raw emotions is the right time to get their point heard if they want a positive outcome...because I bet at least a dozen people read this post and got pretty turned off to the voices that want an apology . Angrily dismissive of their arguments now…
Fans of the Royal Family may be dismissive but backlash has been brutal and in large numbers, so their critics were heard pretty loud and clear to me.

It’s a lot if shit I didn’t know about for sure.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The issue is not whether Her Late Majesty apologized, and it wouldn't help much if King Charles III did. They seem like okay people, and have tried to help others in some ways, but they personally are not the problem.

The problem is that they now have all the wealth. Charles personally just received one of the world's largest inherited fortunes and does not even have to pay taxes on it. This wealth was produced by generations of slaves and commoners and laborers and people who ate gruel. They did all the work, but the pile they made goes to him.

Meanwhile, Britain has become so poor that formerly middle-class people could freeze to death and starve in their homes this winter.

That hoarded wealth should *at least* be helping the people of Britain, who are still doing all the work. They don't need apologies. They need their share of Britain's wealth to keep them alive and give them a good life. And so do all the people who live in the places that were plundered. And so does almost everyone.

This is the problem - getting the hoarded wealth of the industrialized world into the hands of the people who made it and who need it. Apologies are nice, but nothing short of solving this will be good enough.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:48 pm The issue is not whether Her Late Majesty apologized, and it wouldn't help much if King Charles III did. They seem like okay people, and have tried to help others in some ways, but they personally are not the problem.

The problem is that they now have all the wealth. Charles personally just received one of the world's largest inherited fortunes and does not even have to pay taxes on it. This wealth was produced by generations of slaves and commoners and laborers and people who ate gruel. They did all the work, but the pile they made goes to him.

Meanwhile, Britain has become so poor that formerly middle-class people could freeze to death and starve in their homes this winter.

That hoarded wealth should *at least* be helping the people of Britain, who are still doing all the work. They don't need apologies. They need their share of Britain's wealth to keep them alive and give them a good life. And so do all the people who live in the places that were plundered. And so does almost everyone.

This is the problem - getting the hoarded wealth of the industrialized world into the hands of the people who made it and who need it. Apologies are nice, but nothing short of solving this will be good enough.
I think both issues can exist at the same time.

I was just reading an article where indigenous peoples in Canada have been asking the Queen as head of the Anglican Church to apologize for the Anglican Residential Schools - most recently last May. So they might see the lack of an apology as an "issue" but not care about the wealth of the monarchy. Someone living in England might see the wealth as the issue but see or have seen no need for an apology.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:56 pm
SallyMae wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:48 pm The issue is not whether Her Late Majesty apologized, and it wouldn't help much if King Charles III did. They seem like okay people, and have tried to help others in some ways, but they personally are not the problem.

I think both issues can exist at the same time.

I was just reading an article where indigenous peoples in Canada have been asking the Queen as head of the Anglican Church to apologize for the Anglican Residential Schools - most recently last May. So they might see the lack of an apology as an "issue" but not care about the wealth of the monarchy. Someone living in England might see the wealth as the issue but see or have seen no need for an apology.
Very true, but I think it goes way beyond this family, or Britain. The entire accumulated wealth from generations of peons around the globe toiling to turn the planet into profit has concentrated into a tiny number of hands. That is why no one else has enough to afford groceries. This poor family just happens to be sitting on top of one of the piles.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:36 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:09 pm

Well, they say your funeral is your report card and death has a tendency to ruffle up raw emotions (good and bad). So I don’t have a problem with it as long as it’s not a lie or flat out disrespectful (which goes back to the answer Dsam provided).
I wonder if riffling up raw emotions is the right time to get their point heard if they want a positive outcome...because I bet at least a dozen people read this post and got pretty turned off to the voices that want an apology . Angrily dismissive of their arguments now…
Fans of the Royal Family may be dismissive but backlash has been brutal and in large numbers, so their critics were heard pretty loud and clear to me.

Yes, their critics were herd loud and clear. We might differ on our definitions of brutality…But they lost support that they would have had if they waited for the funeral to end first.

One step forward, two steps back…

Let’s see if an apology ever happens now… might have to wait for Wills to become King since this all happened when Charles’ emotions were so raw.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:05 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:52 pm going back further in history you’ll find worse but this time period the British were one of the worst. , the British weren’t alone in their criminality around the world. But they were the biggest culprits during this time period. Germany and Japan followed shortly after.

They don’t get credit for abolishing slavery earlier than other countries. Not after making obscene amounts of money traveling slaves all over the world.

And nobody has even mentioned the evils done to the Irish in the 1800 through the 1900’s.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Aletheia wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:45 am

The UK wasn't the top nation for as long as Egypt was. They didn't control as high a percentage of the known world as the Greeks (under Alexander) or the Romans did. They didn't have the massive power imbalances over their neighbours that China and America did in their days.

But the British empire did hit a 'sweet spot' of long duration and world-spanning travel that produced one of the empires with the biggest effect upon people and history, there has ever been. In other words, they were powerful.

A power they used for both good and evil (and, between that, much arrogance and self interest). I think you're correct about the number of invasions. There are been empires that produced more evil per person in the empire (looking at you, Belgium and the Aztec), and empires that produced greater atrocities (yes, Germany, but also Spain and let's not forget the USSR under Stalin). But, just by 'merit' of it having been very powerful, yes, the British did cause immense amounts of harm - and that's just down to the odds, with them being no better nor worse than average.

The British spread their judicial system of 'common law'... but also cause homosexuality of the criminalised in many countries in which it otherwise would not have been.

They spread the industrial revolution (which is a mixed blessing, if ever there was one).

They were at for forefront of abolishing slavery... but also spent a century or so profiting from the triangle trade (which did, indeed, fund many things in Britain that the British still enjoy the benefits of).

An interesting question is: if a different country had been the one with a strong navy and well positioned to benefit from the ideas that sparked the industrial revolution... would they have handled that power better or worse than Britain did?
I'm Irish, I don't go around crying about what The British did to my ancestors before I was born. What is the point? If everyone where going to cry about wrongs of the past the whole world would be crying and at war.
We remember victims of atrocities and suffering created by other countries. Remember the phrase “Never Forget”?

The UN declared March 25th International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade. This should never be forgotten.

We have an International Holocaust Remembrance Day. Should Jews stop crying about it because it happened before many of them were born?

In the mid 1800’s Ireland was another one of England’s colonies. The majority Catholic population wasn’t allowed to own land, vote or hold office. They worked for British landowners and paid rent. The Great Hunger began when a virus or something destroyed the potato crops. Potatoes are what the Irish Catholics lived on. Other crops like grain and meats were exported to England to pay England taxes and rent to English land owners. One million Irish people died during the potato famine. Another million left, a lot ending up in Boston, New York and Eastern Canada.

No need to cry but have some respect. What a callous way of thinking.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Yes, their critics were herd loud and clear. We might differ on our definitions of brutality…But they lost support that they would have had if they waited for the funeral to end first.

Let’s see if an apology ever happens now… might have to wait for Wills to become King since this all happened when Charles’ emotions were so raw.
Who is “they? I saw individual people with different perspectives on how to acknowledge the death of a monarch giving their opinions.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The Queen's death caused a lot of raw emotion, not all of it positive, and based on what people have endured, it's understandable. Those emotions are as important as that one guy's.

And if he would withhold an apology for the *rest of his life* over this, it's not worth the breath he would have wasted saying it anyway.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

That’s fine. Royals have every right to choose not to apologize, their critics have every right to voice how they feel about it and the people who don’t like it will have to get over it because it’s not gonna stop.

That’s the vicious cycle that comes with lack of compromise so if they want to pass the beef down for their offspring to deal with…that is their choice as well and it doesn’t hurt their critics.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:15 pm
Carpy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:05 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:52 pm going back further in history you’ll find worse but this time period the British were one of the worst. , the British weren’t alone in their criminality around the world. But they were the biggest culprits during this time period. Germany and Japan followed shortly after.

They don’t get credit for abolishing slavery earlier than other countries. Not after making obscene amounts of money traveling slaves all over the world.

And nobody has even mentioned the evils done to the Irish in the 1800 through the 1900’s.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I'm Irish, I don't go around crying about what The British did to my ancestors before I was born. What is the point? If everyone where going to cry about wrongs of the past the whole world would be crying and at war.
We remember victims of atrocities and suffering created by other countries. Remember the phrase “Never Forget”?

The UN declared March 25th International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade. This should never be forgotten.

We have an International Holocaust Remembrance Day. Should Jews stop crying about it because it happened before many of them were born?

In the mid 1800’s Ireland was another one of England’s colonies. The majority Catholic population wasn’t allowed to own land, vote or hold office. They worked for British landowners and paid rent. The Great Hunger began when a virus or something destroyed the potato crops. Potatoes are what the Irish Catholics lived on. Other crops like grain and meats were exported to England to pay England taxes and rent to English land owners. One million Irish people died during the potato famine. Another million left, a lot ending up in Boston, New York and Eastern Canada.

No need to cry but have some respect. What a callous way of thinking.
I'm not the one blaming the Queen for what happened to my family. What truly is the point? Do i bear it in mind? Of course. What is the value in living my life crying victim? I live in the here and now, not 106 years ago.
Locked Previous topicNext topic