RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:47 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:44 pm The US didn’t do right by the people that we enslaved but we don’t have a family of oddballs sitting on ill gotten billions.
America has thousands of families with a net worth of $1 billion or greater.

I am impressed that you have assessed them all for their oddballishness.

Or were you claiming that they all earned their money without benefit of inherited wealth or tax shenanigans?
Just to answer the tax question separately. There are billionaires who got their money from criminal enterprises. There are wealthy who hide money to avoid paying their fair share of taxes. That doesn’t make it ok.

If money continues to be passed down and kept in families without estate taxes then capitalism will fail. Capitalism can’t work with 1% of the population holding on to 90% of the wealth.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:26 am
Aletheia wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:47 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:44 pm The US didn’t do right by the people that we enslaved but we don’t have a family of oddballs sitting on ill gotten billions.
America has thousands of families with a net worth of $1 billion or greater.

I am impressed that you have assessed them all for their oddballishness.

Or were you claiming that they all earned their money without benefit of inherited wealth or tax shenanigans?
Maybe there are normal ones. I just see info when they are in the news and it’s not the good ones.

Why don’t you read the statements from victims of England’s colonialism from the people in African countries? Mostly young people and academics who lost family members under colonialism.

“ "If anyone expects me to express anything other than contempt for the monarch who oversaw a government that supported the genocide that massacred and displaced half of my family (...) you're dreaming," said Uju Anya, a Nigerian-American academic on Twitter, sparking a heated debate on social networks.”

“, the Fighters for Economic Freedom (EFF), which wrote in a statement: "We do not mourn the death of Elizabeth, because for us her death is a reminder of a very tragic period in the history of this country and of Africa.

"During her 70-year reign, she never acknowledged the atrocities her family inflicted on the peoples Britain invaded around the world," the party added, referring in particular to the slave trade and colonialism.

Mukoma Wa Ngugi, son of the world-renowned Kenyan writer Ngugi wa Thiong'o and himself a novelist as well as a professor at Cornell University, also questioned the queen's legacy in Africa.

"If the queen had apologized for slavery, colonialism, and neo-colonialism and urged the crown to offer reparations for the millions of lives taken in her/their name, then maybe I ... would feel bad," he wrote on Twitter.
“As a Kenyan, I feel nothing. This theater is absurd."

Some words from Kenyans living under British rule: (through interpreter Isabel Nakirya)

“ Ninety-eight-year-old Peter Ndegwa paid a price for Kenya's freedom. He is one of the few surviving fighters who took part in the uprising against British colonial rule beginning in 1952.

Ndegwa and hundreds of other Mau Mau fighters rebelled for nearly a decade against their mistreatment and torture under the British.

Says Ndegwa - “ The white man wanted all our harvests. He wanted our forests. We were being beaten, told to kneel down with our hands up, and flogged without clothes.
Isabel Nakirya:”

Ndegwa was put in detention in September 1952 and subjected to hard labor for more than five years. Many of his friends were killed. It's believed 90,000 Kenyans may have been executed during that time.”

“ Many Kenyans here describe the oppression and the colonial rule as slavery, pointing to their exploitation on road and railway constructions, as well as farms owned by the British.”

Alice Waweru is over 90 years old and says she endured over 15 years of mistreatment working on road construction in Kenya.

Alice Waweru, Survivor of British Colonial Rule (through translator): There were no roads. We were the ones who created roads. The white man despised us. Our children were being called maize cobs. They were not seen as children. We carried heavy loads on our backs to construct roads.”

Another country comes into your country, takes the best housing and farms from the people of Kenya, forces them to labor for no money, kills and tortures the protesters, it’s slavery.

England got the gift of whitewashing their history but some won’t pretend it didn’t happen.

No more posts from me on this subject.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/death ... -in-africa
Start your own damn post and quit hijacking mine for your tirades! If you’re still posting this shit by the end of the day I am deleting this post.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:26 am the monarch who oversaw a government that
Do bear in mind that in modern Britain, the monarchy is ceremonial. She didn't actually oversee anything - she didn't even get to sneeze in public without permission from parliament, let alone issue a statement that might be seen as setting policy (such as a formal apology).

But I'm not going to argue the toss with you. The funeral is over, and people will remember her how they want to remember her - each through the lens of their own experience and understanding.
Locked Previous topicNext topic