SD said that the reason she worked so hard to graduate early was so she wouldn't have to go to her moms house anymore

Anonymous 1

Unread post

She is 16 almost 17 and just graduated from high school last week after completing some summer classes. It is a year earlier than she would have but she tested out of classes, did some classes online, some over the summer, and worked really hard to graduate early.

She said the reason she did it was because she doesn't want to go to her moms house. DH asked her what she was talking about. She pulled out her copy of the court order and pointed out that it clearly says that it was in effect from 18 OR high school graduation.

She has had a lot of problems with her mom and even more with her mom's SO, she is a total bitch. SD has hated going there for years. She is used as a built in baby sitter, an errand runner, a personal maid, and so many other things. Her mom says that all of it is her duty to the family being the oldest girl.

I think what she did was very sneaky but I really can't blame her. She told DH that she doesn't know how to tell her mom that she isn't going over to her house anymore. She is honestly scared of what will happen. She wants him to do it for her. He told her that they could tell her mom together. I think it is sad she is actually scared of her mom. I think it is sad that she would even go through all of this to not have to go to her moms house.

I am worried about the fall out from all of this. I know it wont do much to me personally but it will have a big impact on people in my house so I am not excited about it. DH verified the court order and SD is right.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Right children have copies laying around of their parents divorce decree and custody papers. I know! Perhaps BM will call her lawyer!
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Sneaky is a weird word to describe this. She's not being intentionally deceptive. I would call it cunning. Given her age and the fact that she was able to obtain a copy of the court order, then read and interpret it, and do everything it took to graduate early, I wouldn't be the one to tell mom she's not going over there anymore. She's obviously highly intelligent and savvy, she can stand up for herself.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:10 pm Right children have copies laying around of their parents divorce decree and custody papers. I know! Perhaps BM will call her lawyer!
I know that is totally believable right :roll: .
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Troll better please
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:10 pm Right children have copies laying around of their parents divorce decree and custody papers.
If your 16 year old daughter said she was interested in reading from the source the exact wording of the decree which controlled where she spent her time, would you say "No" to her?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:10 pm Right children have copies laying around of their parents divorce decree and custody papers. I know! Perhaps BM will call her lawyer!
I guess if mine wanted to they could have gone into my closet and dug through the box with all my paperwork in it. Presuming I didn’t just scan it to the computer like I did a lot of other stuff. Good luck with that. Lol
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Honestly, in knowing nothing about divorce and family court, is it normal and customary for a minor child to have their own copy of the court paperwork? (OP's second paragraph states that child has her own copy).

Outside of the chores, which really isn't a hardship IMO, why is the girl scared of her BM? How is the BM's significant other mean to her?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What are her plans now that she has graduated? College, work, interning at a job, volunteering? Unless she has goals and a schedule her Mom may pressure her into more time spent in "duty to the family."

I would be more concerned with her next steps in life.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

She has always had a copy because of issues with her mom.
Locked Previous topicNext topic