These things are not allowed in our school lunch boxes this year due to allergies

EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Why are kids allergic to things that were common place in lunches for decades? I'm not so sure I believe it's really as much of an issue as some parents claim.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:19 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:21 pm
mater-three wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 am I’m trying to figure out why white cows milk isn’t allowed. Does that mean chocolate cows milk is?
I had this same thought. I don't know a single elementary school in the nation that can actively ban "white" cow's milk.
Right? And, does that mean chocolate cow’s milk is okay?

I’m not stupid;I know what it actually means, but the wording is strange.
I'm thinking this is less of a school restricted list and more of the stuff the OP has to do while packing her kids lunches.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:49 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:21 pm

I had this same thought. I don't know a single elementary school in the nation that can actively ban "white" cow's milk.

I'm thinking this is less of a school restricted list and more of the stuff the OP has to do while packing her kids lunches.
Probably
Anonymous 1

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:23 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Probably
Yes Bacon is correct. Tons of parents were commenting on the schools fb page and asking questions. Milk will still be sold in the cafeteria but students may not bring it in their lunch box. Parents are very angry/confused and most said they will send whatever they want in the box and ignore the list.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

The school itself isn’t going to have white cows milk? How does that not go against the federal guidelines?
Anonymous 5

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:33 pm Why are kids allergic to things that were common place in lunches for decades? I'm not so sure I believe it's really as much of an issue as some parents claim.
Because it's a blast to have a kid with allergies? People are certainly making it all up for the fun of it.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:22 pm
EarlGrayHot wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:33 pm Why are kids allergic to things that were common place in lunches for decades? I'm not so sure I believe it's really as much of an issue as some parents claim.
Because it's a blast to have a kid with allergies? People are certainly making it all up for the fun of it.
I have a allergy to citrus, this includes if I eat or drink it uncooked, or even if I touch it. Which is very easy to avoid and even was as a child, because I knew what I needed to do and what I could not touch or eat. But the huge issue becomes with cleaning products, anything lemon scented I am allergic to. This means when they clean a desk and the cleaning product contains natural citrus, and I develop hives, rash and itchy skin where every my skin touches the surface. The COVID cleaning procedures were really fun for me.

Thing is as a child back then no one cared about allergies. I leaned to live with it, by wiping down my desk with paper towel, water and soap everyday before I sat in it. Stayed away from anything with citrus scent in it, did not touch oranges, grapefruit or such. These products/foods are everywhere and a child needs to learn how to live in a environment. When I was in school the only product that was banned was peanuts/tree nuts as dust can contribute to the allergic reaction.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:29 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:22 pm
I have a allergy to citrus, this includes if I eat or drink it uncooked, or even if I touch it. Which is very easy to avoid and even was as a child, because I knew what I needed to do and what I could not touch or eat. But the huge issue becomes with cleaning products, anything lemon scented I am allergic to. This means when they clean a desk and the cleaning product contains natural citrus, and I develop hives, rash and itchy skin where every my skin touches the surface. The COVID cleaning procedures were really fun for me.

Thing is as a child back then no one cared about allergies. I leaned to live with it, by wiping down my desk with paper towel, water and soap everyday before I sat in it. Stayed away from anything with citrus scent in it, did not touch oranges, grapefruit or such. These products/foods are everywhere and a child needs to learn how to live in a environment. When I was in school the only product that was banned was peanuts/tree nuts as dust can contribute to the allergic reaction.
That sounds so rough I'm sorry. My brother had a friend in the 80s who had celiac. I had a friend who couldn't eat pork for religious reasons, another who was allergic to dairy, and yet another who was diabetic so had to be careful of what she ate. I had a friend in high school get sent to in school suspension for not eating something they made in cooking class that she was highly allergic to.
The point is these allergies have always been out there and yes people take it to the extreme with wanting it banned from the whole school it's not like parents are just making up that their kids have allergies even to commonly packed things. I can't imagine asking others not to eat what we are allergic to!
The white milk thing makes me suspicious the school is just trying to force everyone to buy it from them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic