These things are not allowed in our school lunch boxes this year due to allergies

Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:23 pm This will put Traci's no peanut butter post to shame.

-peanut butter
-hummus
-sesame seeds
-strawberries
-any fish including tuna sandwiches
-tree nuts including almonds and walnuts
-white cows milk
-hard boiled eggs

I mean seriously. I don't know how they will police every lunch box for this stuff but whatever. I get the popular peanut allergy ban but this is out of line. Your thoughts on this? School is K-8 if it matters.
Some of the items on this list are questionable but honestly, I don't believe any child having to abide by the list will be suffering. These are foods they can have after school.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

:lol: :lol:
MistressMonster wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:10 am
Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:51 am
MistressMonster wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:24 pm

Really? Sometimes a pbj just hits the spot. I will pack hummus, veggies, and fruit in my lunches.
Hummus is one of the few vegetable based foods yds likes. He doesn’t take it to school but other than it’s high calorie I don’t see the issue. Hard boiled eggs are okay, so are strawberries. When schools don’t allow cookies or candy what is one supposed to give for a treat? Saltines?
I think there is nothing wrong with those items being packed in a lunch. Hummus is awesome.

I can see it now. A kid unpacks their lunch, and proudly exclaiming "and for dessert, saltines!!" 🤣
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:23 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:27 pm
jas wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:05 pm

Absolutely serious. You have options. Private school, home school or suck it up. Pretty simple.
Except all kids in the US have a right to a free public education. If the parents want to send their kids to a public school then they have a right to do so, and if they don't agree with ridiculous rules of the public school they have the right to challenge them.

If it were a private school that were instituting these kinds of rules then I would fully agree with you - either follow them or go elsewhere. But you can't do that with public school.
What you call ridiculous isn't though. Challenging rules made to keep kids safe? That's asinine. That list isn't unreasonable in the big scheme of things. The whole generation of "boo hoo, I can't have my peanut butter" is entitlement and has nothing to do with the education the schools are responsible for.
This isn't just about peanut butter. This isn't just about nut free. My kids' school went nut free and even though I don't like it I went "well, ok, we will find a way". So don't throw "boo hoo, I can't have my peanut butter" at me because that's not what this is about.

This list that OP posted IS ridiculous. There isn't even any logic. Please explain the logic in "white cows milk" (as if choc cows milk is ok) and maybe I will be able to see your side somewhat. But there's no logic to it. It's also going down a slippery slope. If we start eliminating all foods that could potentially cause harm to one or more students, well then we will end up with a list of acceptable foods that is only 5 items long. We can't tell kids "you have to be at school 8 hours a day but can only eat 5 things while you are there". That would be the definition of ridiculous.

Peanuts/tree nuts are commonly banned at schools because those particular allergies are sometime airborne, meaning the allergic child doesn't even have to eat the item, just be near it. I've never heard of a diary allergy or strawberry allergy being airborne, therefore all the other allergies can be avoided by the child just avoiding the food. Those kids can be kept safe without having to ban half the food pyramid.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:53 pm

Absolutely serious. You have options. Private school, home school or suck it up. Pretty simple.
Except all kids in the US have a right to a free public education. If the parents want to send their kids to a public school then they have a right to do so, and if they don't agree with ridiculous rules of the public school they have the right to challenge them.

If it were a private school that were instituting these kinds of rules then I would fully agree with you - either follow them or go elsewhere. But you can't do that with public school.
You have a right to a public education. You don’t have a right to eat peanut butter at school. Obviously this post is out of the norm but I’m talking about more general school food rules. You can challenge them if you wish but you don’t really have a legal leg to stand on.
Parents have gone to school board meetings to complain about a lot less. Just saying.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I’m trying to figure out why white cows milk isn’t allowed. Does that mean chocolate cows milk is?
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:23 am

What you call ridiculous isn't though. Challenging rules made to keep kids safe? That's asinine. That list isn't unreasonable in the big scheme of things. The whole generation of "boo hoo, I can't have my peanut butter" is entitlement and has nothing to do with the education the schools are responsible for.
On the other side of this, the whole generations of "boo hoo, everyone cater to me because I have an allergy" is also entitlement and has nothing to do with the education the schools are responsible for. If Child A is allergic to Food X, then it is the responsibility of Child A, and their parent(s), to ensure Child A is safe. That is not my responsibility. My non allergic child should also not be restricted in what they can eat because someone else might have a reaction.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I have an allergy family and this list would make packing food tricky. We're have allergies to gluten, food dyes, refined sugars, soy, and more. We do very few processed foods instead we eat mostly whole foods.
For my kids a lunch looks like hard boiled eggs, chunks of cheese, veggies, and a fruit. Or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a fruit and veggies. We will do hummus and veggies with nuts and fruit. One of my kids will eat very little meat so that makes things even more challenging.
But I absolutely do not expect others to cater to our allergies. Even if my kids Re going somewhere and someone goes oh We're eating this what can I get them I tell them don't worry about it I'll send them food. If they insist I'll tell them things like fruits and veggies that are easily obtained and prepared. They know exactly what they can and cannot eat and we don't expect anyone to even know what that is.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 am I’m trying to figure out why white cows milk isn’t allowed. Does that mean chocolate cows milk is?
I had this same thought. I don't know a single elementary school in the nation that can actively ban "white" cow's milk.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:21 pm
mater-three wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 am I’m trying to figure out why white cows milk isn’t allowed. Does that mean chocolate cows milk is?
I had this same thought. I don't know a single elementary school in the nation that can actively ban "white" cow's milk.
Right? And, does that mean chocolate cow’s milk is okay?

I’m not stupid;I know what it actually means, but the wording is strange.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Normally, I have no problem avoiding a few things to keep other people safe at school. But the list is weird. Hummus but not chickpeas? So a chickpea salad is cool? Or is it the tahini? Weird that they specify white cow's milk. Does that mean chocolate cow's milk is okay? LOL
Locked Previous topicNext topic