These things are not allowed in our school lunch boxes this year due to allergies

Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:48 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm It specifically says white cow milk? So there’s no milk offered with bought school lunches or just not white milk? I’d argue that one. Surprised it included strawberries but didn’t include peaches, pears, apples, raspberries, apricots, blackberries, and cherries which are in the same family.
That's whats making me think this is just someone trying to stir the pot. I don't know where they live, but they said it was public school and public schools in the US, where most on this site live, are federally required to offer milk if they serve lunch. And why only white cows milk? My sister had a deathly milk allergy as a child, it wasn't like if you added chocolate she would be okay.
Idk what schools have to provide but I’ve never seen a school not provide milk. As a kid we even had ice milk which was similar to a Wendy’s frosty. And would that ban include diary products like cheese? I know someone who can’t eat certain cheeses due to an allergy to beta carotene (a coloring). He probably packs his own lunch. One would think other allergic kids just would too. What about yogurt? I mean idc since my kids aren’t in school anymore. But it makes no sense to forbid only white milk for a diary allergy.
I’m a lunch lady, and just went to yearly training. They said we have to provide not only one but 2 kinds of milk. Could be 1%, fat free, or flavored, chocolate, strawberry, etc. But the kids have to have an option. So I honestly don’t think a school can ban milk.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:37 pm The vast majority of those don't belong in a lunchbox anyway.
Really? Sometimes a pbj just hits the spot. I will pack hummus, veggies, and fruit in my lunches.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:05 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:55 pm
jas wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:50 pm those are the rules... Follow them or go somewhere else.
They are in place for a reason. I would just find something else to give my kids.
Go somewhere else?? That is not an option. This is the public school district that is for the zone where we live. Were you serious with this reply?
Absolutely serious. You have options. Private school, home school or suck it up. Pretty simple.
Except all kids in the US have a right to a free public education. If the parents want to send their kids to a public school then they have a right to do so, and if they don't agree with ridiculous rules of the public school they have the right to challenge them.

If it were a private school that were instituting these kinds of rules then I would fully agree with you - either follow them or go elsewhere. But you can't do that with public school.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:23 pm This will put Traci's no peanut butter post to shame.

-peanut butter
-hummus
-sesame seeds
-strawberries
-any fish including tuna sandwiches
-tree nuts including almonds and walnuts
-white cows milk
-hard boiled eggs

I mean seriously. I don't know how they will police every lunch box for this stuff but whatever. I get the popular peanut allergy ban but this is out of line. Your thoughts on this? School is K-8 if it matters.
That list is crazy. #1 - How are they even going to police that in any kind of effective manner? #2 - How are the parents supposed to remember it and keep up with it? #3 - Like someone else said, you taking out a lot of protein alternatives. Meaning, usually when all peanuts and nuts are banned, you go to things such as hummus, hard boiled eggs or even milk to get the protein needed. Now those are banned too?

I would be down at the principal's office and/or at the next district meeting with lots of concerns about this list. First one being, please explain the logic behind each of these bans, especially things like the "white cows milk" and "hard boiled eggs".
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:27 pm

Go somewhere else?? That is not an option. This is the public school district that is for the zone where we live. Were you serious with this reply?
Absolutely serious. You have options. Private school, home school or suck it up. Pretty simple.
Except all kids in the US have a right to a free public education. If the parents want to send their kids to a public school then they have a right to do so, and if they don't agree with ridiculous rules of the public school they have the right to challenge them.

If it were a private school that were instituting these kinds of rules then I would fully agree with you - either follow them or go elsewhere. But you can't do that with public school.
You can challenge them but if it doesn't change you either have to suck it up or pull your kids.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You have a right to a public education. You don’t have a right to eat peanut butter at school. Obviously this post is out of the norm but I’m talking about more general school food rules. You can challenge them if you wish but you don’t really have a legal leg to stand on.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What you call ridiculous isn't though. Challenging rules made to keep kids safe? That's asinine. That list isn't unreasonable in the big scheme of things. The whole generation of "boo hoo, I can't have my peanut butter" is entitlement and has nothing to do with the education the schools are responsible for.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:24 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:37 pm The vast majority of those don't belong in a lunchbox anyway.
Really? Sometimes a pbj just hits the spot. I will pack hummus, veggies, and fruit in my lunches.
Hummus is one of the few vegetable based foods yds likes. He doesn’t take it to school but other than it’s high calorie I don’t see the issue. Hard boiled eggs are okay, so are strawberries. When schools don’t allow cookies or candy what is one supposed to give for a treat? Saltines?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Gorilla_Mama wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:20 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:02 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:48 pm

That's whats making me think this is just someone trying to stir the pot. I don't know where they live, but they said it was public school and public schools in the US, where most on this site live, are federally required to offer milk if they serve lunch. And why only white cows milk? My sister had a deathly milk allergy as a child, it wasn't like if you added chocolate she would be okay.
Idk what schools have to provide but I’ve never seen a school not provide milk. As a kid we even had ice milk which was similar to a Wendy’s frosty. And would that ban include diary products like cheese? I know someone who can’t eat certain cheeses due to an allergy to beta carotene (a coloring). He probably packs his own lunch. One would think other allergic kids just would too. What about yogurt? I mean idc since my kids aren’t in school anymore. But it makes no sense to forbid only white milk for a diary allergy.
I’m a lunch lady, and just went to yearly training. They said we have to provide not only one but 2 kinds of milk. Could be 1%, fat free, or flavored, chocolate, strawberry, etc. But the kids have to have an option. So I honestly don’t think a school can ban milk.
Maybe this is private school. Even so makes no sense to ban milk and not milk products. But hey whatever. Either this is to start the allergy argument all over again or the school isn’t thinking this through.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:51 am
MistressMonster wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:24 pm
Hummus is one of the few vegetable based foods yds likes. He doesn’t take it to school but other than it’s high calorie I don’t see the issue. Hard boiled eggs are okay, so are strawberries. When schools don’t allow cookies or candy what is one supposed to give for a treat? Saltines?
I think there is nothing wrong with those items being packed in a lunch. Hummus is awesome.

I can see it now. A kid unpacks their lunch, and proudly exclaiming "and for dessert, saltines!!" 🤣
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic