BM is trying to control what TV shows we watch in the house

RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

My husband's ex wife allows her kids to watch all sorts of things we don't approve of. It's so normal to them that my eldest stepdaughter brought over Midsommer to watch with her siblings. She was about 17 at the time and the little ones were 12. I was mortified.

Still, I can't control what happens in her house anymore than she can control what happens in ours.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I haven’t seen this particular show but if it has content that isn’t age appropriate, I wouldn't let them watch if either parent had a problem with it but that’s just me.

That’s not something I’d get into a pissing match about.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I'm sorry you have to take care of another woman's children and always be #2 in your husbands life. Rough.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:08 am I'm sorry you have to take care of another woman's children and always be #2 in your husbands life. Rough.
Lol thanks for the laugh
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:25 am My ex used to let the kids watch Family Guy against my objections. Idk what he was thinking but I was like are you kidding? That show is crass and the content barely appropriate for adults. I think he believed the content would go over their heads. Umm no…no it doesn’t. They started asking uncomfortable questions of him and he stopped then. Now idk the Handmaidens tale but I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with bm expressing her mind. If the other parent is doing something bad-for example my ex also let them stay up all hours-say something. Maybe you can’t change it but at least everyone knows your feelings on it. My ex not having a set bedtime affected me. Same with the shows which I didn’t allow. The kids complained about my rules. They were tired at school, so yeah I talked to ex. I didn’t stop the visiting but he knew my displeasure. At least it was only eowe.
Expressing her feelings isn't the problem it's her telling us what we can and can not do in our own home.
Again idk this particular show. But you’ve got to admit Family Guy isn’t appropriate for anyone under 16 and that’s being generous. Not when one character admits to liking being choked and another is a pedophile. I called my ex an idiot over it. And my kids would ask why I don’t allow the show and Dad did. I said i don’t agree with him because the show is joking about things I find repugnant. There are some episodes I find funny don’t get me wrong. But some are truly awful. In any case why not at least see her POV? Especially if the show is for mature audiences. If she has concerns have your ex address them. That’s all I’m saying here.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Have the kid's read the book?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Team BM here. I wouldn’t let kids that age watch that show.
But ultimately, when. You get divorced you should know that you no longer have a saying in what goes on in the other parent’s house. Drawbacks of divorce. I would try to respect her feelings, though. They’re still her kids after all.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh, the sad part is that it’s not her that’s #2… it’s the kids. As it often happens with children of divorce, they’re being used as pawns in a parental power struggle.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:08 am I'm sorry you have to take care of another woman's children and always be #2 in your husbands life. Rough.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Exactly! It seems to me that these BM vs SM crap is all about winning. And the well-being of the kids is an afterthought, if anything. If BM has a point, then if BM has a point, then that’s that. And she does, so swallow your pride and acknowledge it. It’s not like she doesn’t want her teenagers to watch SpongeBob. This is a MA rated show with scenes and concepts that may be inappropriate for younger audiences. She’s not that way off.
SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:02 am I haven’t seen this particular show but if it has content that isn’t age appropriate, I wouldn't let them watch if either parent had a problem with it but that’s just me.

That’s not something I’d get into a pissing match about.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I really don't think it's healthy for kids to have different rules depending on which parent they are with. It seems that sometimes in these posts, it's "my house" and "her house" and the fact that both are the kids' house or that there should still be co-parenting get's thrown out the window. When your DH was married and living with BM, how would they have handled it? I know in our household, things like tv shows only required a one-parent "no". My husband thought the kids would enjoy "Trailer Park Boys", I said no, so they didn't get to watch it.

Would it be so hard for you and your husband to honor BM's wishes and have consistent allowed and disallowed shows in both homes?
Locked Previous topicNext topic