BM is trying to control what TV shows we watch in the house

Anonymous 1

Unread post

BM has told DH that we can no longer watch the Handmaid's tale. She doesnt like that her kids are watching it and she wants us to not allow it in our house like it is not allowed in her house

Sd 14 and Sd 15 are the ones who wanted to watch it so we started it. They know it is a TV show and not real life or anything.

I could understand her talking to DH and telling him how she felt about it if they were young children but telling him he has to do something is not cool.

BM has always been a little overbearing but this whole thing is just stupid. It's a TV show ffs.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It's rated TV-MA for multiple reasons. I don't let my 11 and 15 year olds watch it either.

these "we are going to do whatever we want even though BM hates it" posts are ridiculous. SM needs to back off and let bio parents deal with these things. I'm so glad me and my ex have a great relationship and don't deal with this bs.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:19 am It's rated TV-MA for multiple reasons. I don't let my 11 and 15 year olds watch it either.

these "we are going to do whatever we want even though BM hates it" posts are ridiculous. SM needs to back off and let bio parents deal with these things. I'm so glad me and my ex have a great relationship and don't deal with this bs.
Well I don't have contact with BM so I am not involved with her or the decision. Dh talked to her and that should be the end of it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Her kids her rules. SM needs to know her place.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:37 am Her kids her rules. SM needs to know her place.
I'm not involved with her in any way. I know my place in my own house. My Dh is who makes the rules for the step kids in our house not BM.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Spoiler
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:37 am Her kids her rules. SM needs to know her place.
Uh, no. It is the fathers house, therefore it is the fathers rules. The mother does not get to override his decisions, in his house. How would you feel if the mother allowed the children to watch shows the father disapproved of?
Anonymous 4

Unread post

This isn’t always the case. My husbands kids live with us full time. They visit their mom on weekends. Dh has full custody. Since this is my home too, I have a say in what goes on. All three of us get together on big issues because it works for us.

BM has stated things here and there that we don’t really agree with such as we should not allow certain clothes. But there is nothing wrong with the clothes so we allow them.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

My ex used to let the kids watch Family Guy against my objections. Idk what he was thinking but I was like are you kidding? That show is crass and the content barely appropriate for adults. I think he believed the content would go over their heads. Umm no…no it doesn’t. They started asking uncomfortable questions of him and he stopped then. Now idk the Handmaidens tale but I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with bm expressing her mind. If the other parent is doing something bad-for example my ex also let them stay up all hours-say something. Maybe you can’t change it but at least everyone knows your feelings on it. My ex not having a set bedtime affected me. Same with the shows which I didn’t allow. The kids complained about my rules. They were tired at school, so yeah I talked to ex. I didn’t stop the visiting but he knew my displeasure. At least it was only eowe.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It's both parents' house and NOT the BM's. Although as far as the HM's Tale being fiction-if extremist conservatives have their way women will be reduced to walking incubators with no control at all over their own bodies. It may not remain fiction.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:25 am My ex used to let the kids watch Family Guy against my objections. Idk what he was thinking but I was like are you kidding? That show is crass and the content barely appropriate for adults. I think he believed the content would go over their heads. Umm no…no it doesn’t. They started asking uncomfortable questions of him and he stopped then. Now idk the Handmaidens tale but I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with bm expressing her mind. If the other parent is doing something bad-for example my ex also let them stay up all hours-say something. Maybe you can’t change it but at least everyone knows your feelings on it. My ex not having a set bedtime affected me. Same with the shows which I didn’t allow. The kids complained about my rules. They were tired at school, so yeah I talked to ex. I didn’t stop the visiting but he knew my displeasure. At least it was only eowe.
Expressing her feelings isn't the problem it's her telling us what we can and can not do in our own home.
Locked Previous topicNext topic