To add or not to add, that is the question…

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I’m making spaghetti sauce, dd just turned vegetarian so I’m trying to do as many meatless dishes as possible.

I’ve got a pretty good sauce going, and I would usually add some cream and bacon at the end.

I can add the cream, but now I’ve got to use fake bacon bits.

Or not…

I could just leave them and the cream out and have regular marinara.

Are the fake bacon pieces going to add to the flavor like bacon would, or destroy the dish ?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

They are not good! I wouldn't add them to a good sauce
Anonymous 2

Unread post

If you daughter is vegetarian, I would add the cream and some vodka and make a dreamy vodka sauce. If she's vegan, I would omit the cream and vodka and add some balsamic - gives it a nice depth without the meat. You could also add some vegetable bouillon but beware of it being too salty so taste before adding additional salt. I can't imagine that fake bacon pieces would add anything. At least when I've cooked pasta sauce and used bacon, it's more the rendered fat that adds the yumminess, not the bacon pieces.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Put some sauce in a bowl for her and add whatever you want to the rest.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

She’s vegetarian, so she’s ok with cream, cheese and eggs. But no meat.

Or meat by products, which I’m just learning are actually pretty extensive, to include jello and McDonald’s French fries. ( not Burger King French fries though lol)
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:57 pm If you daughter is vegetarian, I would add the cream and some vodka and make a dreamy vodka sauce. If she's vegan, I would omit the cream and vodka and add some balsamic - gives it a nice depth without the meat. You could also add some vegetable bouillon but beware of it being too salty so taste before adding additional salt. I can't imagine that fake bacon pieces would add anything. At least when I've cooked pasta sauce and used bacon, it's more the rendered fat that adds the yumminess, not the bacon pieces.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 pm She’s vegetarian, so she’s ok with cream, cheese and eggs. But no meat.

Or meat by products, which I’m just learning are actually pretty extensive, to include jello and McDonald’s French fries. ( not Burger King French fries though lol)
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:57 pm If you daughter is vegetarian, I would add the cream and some vodka and make a dreamy vodka sauce. If she's vegan, I would omit the cream and vodka and add some balsamic - gives it a nice depth without the meat. You could also add some vegetable bouillon but beware of it being too salty so taste before adding additional salt. I can't imagine that fake bacon pieces would add anything. At least when I've cooked pasta sauce and used bacon, it's more the rendered fat that adds the yumminess, not the bacon pieces.
I'm vegetarian, my daughter is vegan, and my son is a carnivore so dinner can be challenging! Another option is to add sauteed mushrooms or eggplant to give your sauce more texture and "meatiness". A couple of spoonfuls of pesto can also help - ground nuts in pesto adds a bit of protein and the nut oils add some umph.

Stay away from the fake bacon pieces! All that's going to add is crunchy salt.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:12 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 pm She’s vegetarian, so she’s ok with cream, cheese and eggs. But no meat.

I'm vegetarian, my daughter is vegan, and my son is a carnivore so dinner can be challenging! Another option is to add sauteed mushrooms or eggplant to give your sauce more texture and "meatiness". A couple of spoonfuls of pesto can also help - ground nuts in pesto adds a bit of protein and the nut oils add some umph.

Stay away from the fake bacon pieces! All that's going to add is crunchy salt.
I’ve got some pesto in the pantry and mushrooms in the fridge , so I’ll try that, thanks!
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Hear me out: Add cinnamon.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

RIZZY1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:00 pm Hear me out: Add cinnamon.
Aghast.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I personally do like bacon bits. Love them in salads. But I have to warn you that I’ve never had real bacon before. Personally, I wouldn’t use them in a sauce, they get soggy. So I’ll just leave them out.
If you want a meatier texture , try mushrooms.
And a little tip, I use lentils to give a ground beef feel.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic