To add or not to add, that is the question…

Anonymous 5

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:18 am
RIZZY1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:56 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:37 pm I’m guessing this is spaghetti carbonara as that’s the only kind I’ve ever made with bacon. Even with that, the flavor is not there without the bacon grease which you definitely won’t get with fake bacon bits.
Never use cream in a carbonara!
Carbonara has cream.

https://www.marthastewart.com/338686/sp ... -carbonara
That's Americanized. Real Italians use the pasta water. You cut out a lot of fat and calories that way.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:34 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 pm She’s vegetarian, so she’s ok with cream, cheese and eggs. But no meat.

Or meat by products, which I’m just learning are actually pretty extensive, to include jello and McDonald’s French fries. ( not Burger King French fries though lol)
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:57 pm If you daughter is vegetarian, I would add the cream and some vodka and make a dreamy vodka sauce. If she's vegan, I would omit the cream and vodka and add some balsamic - gives it a nice depth without the meat. You could also add some vegetable bouillon but beware of it being too salty so taste before adding additional salt. I can't imagine that fake bacon pieces would add anything. At least when I've cooked pasta sauce and used bacon, it's more the rendered fat that adds the yumminess, not the bacon pieces.
Cream isn't a meat by product since it comes from cows? If she won't eat jello or things fried in animal lard, how is cream ok? Because the cow is still alive at the moment the milk comes out? Those milk cows aren't treated very well at all, so I'd think if someone is against animals for food they'd be against cream and milk also.
Usually that’s true, but we live out in the country and we have a few farms that surround us that provide us with all our meat and dairy products. Our eggs are free range from a friend up the street that keeps her chickens as pets more than a business.

I even have a Turkey on reserve for thanksgiving living on one of the farms now lol.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:36 am

Carbonara has cream.

That's Americanized. Real Italians use the pasta water. You cut out a lot of fat and calories that way.
I appreciate fat and calories. They’re a necessity to sustaining life and proper brain function.

Also… if Martha says it has cream, it has cream.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:39 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:34 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 pm She’s vegetarian, so she’s ok with cream, cheese and eggs. But no meat.

Or meat by products, which I’m just learning are actually pretty extensive, to include jello and McDonald’s French fries. ( not Burger King French fries though lol)
Cream isn't a meat by product since it comes from cows? If she won't eat jello or things fried in animal lard, how is cream ok? Because the cow is still alive at the moment the milk comes out? Those milk cows aren't treated very well at all, so I'd think if someone is against animals for food they'd be against cream and milk also.
Usually that’s true, but we live out in the country and we have a few farms that surround us that provide us with all our meat and dairy products. Our eggs are free range from a friend up the street that keeps her chickens as pets more than a business.

I even have a Turkey on reserve for thanksgiving living on one of the farms now lol.
LOL
That's nice that you have that available.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:37 pm I’m guessing this is spaghetti carbonara as that’s the only kind I’ve ever made with bacon. Even with that, the flavor is not there without the bacon grease which you definitely won’t get with fake bacon bits.
Carbonara has cream.

No, not a real carbonara. Traditionally, there's no cream it it. Neither does Alfredo.
Locked Previous topicNext topic