To add or not to add, that is the question…

LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have had a vegetarian daughter and a few who only eat chicken. I always pull some out for them and then continue on my way for everyone else. I also always made what I would normally make and I would either make a smaller meatless version for the other kids or they’d just have the sides.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Add the cream and then take out enough sauce for her then add the bacon to the rest. That's what I do for my vegetarian.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have no suggestions that others haven't already offered. I hope it all went well!
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

add porcini or portabella mushrooms and the cream if she's good with that.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Personally I'd rather have no bacon at all than fake bacon bits. Even when I have recipes that call for bacon bits I get the real bacon bits. The fake ones are pointless IMO.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Add the cream, portion out her sauce, then add the bacon. Fake bacon bits are nothing like real bacon, no matter how hard it tries to be real.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I’m guessing this is spaghetti carbonara as that’s the only kind I’ve ever made with bacon. Even with that, the flavor is not there without the bacon grease which you definitely won’t get with fake bacon bits.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:37 pm I’m guessing this is spaghetti carbonara as that’s the only kind I’ve ever made with bacon. Even with that, the flavor is not there without the bacon grease which you definitely won’t get with fake bacon bits.
Never use cream in a carbonara!
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

RIZZY1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:56 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:37 pm I’m guessing this is spaghetti carbonara as that’s the only kind I’ve ever made with bacon. Even with that, the flavor is not there without the bacon grease which you definitely won’t get with fake bacon bits.
Never use cream in a carbonara!
Carbonara has cream.

https://www.marthastewart.com/338686/sp ... -carbonara
Anonymous 5

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 pm She’s vegetarian, so she’s ok with cream, cheese and eggs. But no meat.

Or meat by products, which I’m just learning are actually pretty extensive, to include jello and McDonald’s French fries. ( not Burger King French fries though lol)
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:57 pm If you daughter is vegetarian, I would add the cream and some vodka and make a dreamy vodka sauce. If she's vegan, I would omit the cream and vodka and add some balsamic - gives it a nice depth without the meat. You could also add some vegetable bouillon but beware of it being too salty so taste before adding additional salt. I can't imagine that fake bacon pieces would add anything. At least when I've cooked pasta sauce and used bacon, it's more the rendered fat that adds the yumminess, not the bacon pieces.
Cream isn't a meat by product since it comes from cows? If she won't eat jello or things fried in animal lard, how is cream ok? Because the cow is still alive at the moment the milk comes out? Those milk cows aren't treated very well at all, so I'd think if someone is against animals for food they'd be against cream and milk also.
Locked Previous topicNext topic