If you don't like my dogs or the fact that I don't have a fence up... Don't walk past my house

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:52 pm
Rosehawk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:11 pm Sidewalks are public domain, anyone can walk on them, and they have the right to feel safe doing so. Invisible fences are not 100% foolproof, nothing is. A fence is also piece of mind, not just a barrier. If/when your dogs bust through your invisible fence, you will be 100% liable for damages. I'd be concerned if I were your neighbor too.
There is no side walks. She walks on the street which I know she legally can but why do that if you are that scared?

If something happened it would be handled within a matter of seconds. Does no one supervise their dogs these days?
I find it funny that no one is even seeing/hearing that you have had no issues in 10 years... Normally if you are going to have issues it would be when the dogs were young and training.

Around here I'm more worried about being attacked by my neighbors "stray" cat than my neighbors dogs.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:14 am
Rosehawk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:11 pm Sidewalks are public domain, anyone can walk on them, and they have the right to feel safe doing so. Invisible fences are not 100% foolproof, nothing is. A fence is also piece of mind, not just a barrier. If/when your dogs bust through your invisible fence, you will be 100% liable for damages. I'd be concerned if I were your neighbor too.
There is no side walks. She walks on the street which I know she legally can but why do that if you are that scared?

If something happened it would be handled within a matter of seconds. Does no one supervise their dogs these days?
I find it funny that no one is even seeing/hearing that you have had no issues in 10 years... Normally if you are going to have issues it would be when the dogs were young and training.

Around here I'm more worried about being attacked by my neighbors "stray" cat than my neighbors dogs.
No issues in 10 years means nothing. The best trained dog can turn and snap for seemingly no reason. To think otherwise is stupid.
Anonymous 13

Unread post

I noticed it. Dogs exhibit different behavior as they get older. They may snap when they're aggravated which they wouldn't have done before. They may lose patience with people or kids. Many have arthritis which sets them on edge. My concern would be tempting fate with my dogs lives, that they may get a wild hair one day and figure out the zap is just a second and that they can break free. If they attack someone, that's when they start taking dogs away and putting them to sleep if they bite. To me, just for the dogs sake, I wouldn't be so blase about it. You're playing roulette with your dogs lives is the perspective I have. No matter how well trained, dogs still have instincts and they experience behavior changes as they age.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 13 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:07 am

I noticed it. Dogs exhibit different behavior as they get older. They may snap when they're aggravated which they wouldn't have done before. They may lose patience with people or kids. Many have arthritis which sets them on edge. My concern would be tempting fate with my dogs lives, that they may get a wild hair one day and figure out the zap is just a second and that they can break free. If they attack someone, that's when they start taking dogs away and putting them to sleep if they bite. To me, just for the dogs sake, I wouldn't be so blase about it. You're playing roulette with your dogs lives is the perspective I have. No matter how well trained, dogs still have instincts and they experience behavior changes as they age.
I also noticed that OP said when her dogs are out there, she is out there too. So even if a dog snaps and breaks the fence, she is right there. The neighbor isn't left to fend for herself.

Could the dog still bite in that time? Sure. Anything's possible. But it seems like OP has assessed that risk level and has decided it is a low enough risk. Whether any of us agree with her risk assessment doesn't mean anything. It's not enough for the neighbor to force OP to put up a fence. Neighbor has to find a way to deal with her phobia on her own.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You have a very cavalier regarding your dogs. You keep saying that they've never crossed your invisible line, and that if they did, you'd recall them in seconds and they'd listen. That's all well and good, until they cross your "fence" and don't recall. All it takes is seconds for them to maul your neighbor. It's mind boggling that you'd even take that chance, and are so dismissive of everyone telling you you're not as safe/secure as you think you are.

As for her walking on the street, she is free to do so since the street is public domain. She also has the right to safety in said public domain. You need to do more to ensure your dogs are not a threat to the general public. Invisible/electric fences are not enough.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Rosehawk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:15 pm

You have a very cavalier regarding your dogs. You keep saying that they've never crossed your invisible line, and that if they did, you'd recall them in seconds and they'd listen. That's all well and good, until they cross your "fence" and don't recall. All it takes is seconds for them to maul your neighbor. It's mind boggling that you'd even take that chance, and are so dismissive of everyone telling you you're not as safe/secure as you think you are.

As for her walking on the street, she is free to do so since the street is public domain. She also has the right to safety in said public domain. You need to do more to ensure your dogs are not a threat to the general public. Invisible/electric fences are not enough.
I've seen you mention this right to safety a couple times and it intrigues me. Possibly we do all theoretically have that right, but it is never guaranteed to us. Honestly the neighbor has a much higher chance of being struck by a car while out walking than being mauled by OP's dogs. But the neighbor isn't asking people to avoid driving on the road while she's out walking. No difference here.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

That's ok. Your dogs are 10 so they will die soon then this problem will be solved.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

You have no leash laws where you live?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:29 pm You have no leash laws where you live?
There are leash laws
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 14 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:42 pm That's ok. Your dogs are 10 so they will die soon then this problem will be solved.
Probably not. They should have at least 5 more years left
Locked Previous topicNext topic