Let's have the nut discussion again

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:56 pm Just one quick Google search too:

Bans do not work and are not medically necessary

Banning peanuts from schools does not reduce the risk of food allergy reactions. In a study of 567 food allergy reactions in a Canadian pediatric cohort, 4.9% of reactions occurred in “peanut-free” schools compared to 3% in schools that allow peanut foods. Authors warned about a false sense of security when foods are banned. (Cherkaoui S., 2015)

https://peanutallergyfacts.org/for-schools/
I'm very tempted to send this to the new principal of our school, to show her that this ban isn't really going to do anything positive.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:40 am
Pjmm wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 am
LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:28 am

And I applaud you & your kids. It is very thoughtful.

But what about the parents who have kids sensory aversion and that is all they will eat? What about parents with food insecurity who only got huge tubs of peanut butter that week from the food pantry? What about the kid that just throws the meat & cheese sandwich away and find their way to chip & candy instead?

Those deserve just as much compassion and kindness.

And once again, if a teen is so sensitive, that nuts anywhere in the vicinity triggers anaphylaxis, this policy it not effective at these ages, they would be in danger.

My children have several unique needs, grant it, not life threatening, but I think it is emotionally damaging to teach them the masses should sacrifice for them. It promotes a view of selfishness & entitlement. It promotes a sense of victimhood and more and more data is arising these feelings are awful for overall happiness & well-being.
I think school lunches should be nut free. Like there’s a kid in our troop who is allergic to carrots. Can’t have beta carotene which is a coloring. So we plan menus that don’t include that ingredient. Now if one of us brings our own food that’s fine. Or the adults sometimes cook our own meals. But we think we should consider the allergic child and we teach the boys to do likewise as they’re buying the food for themselves. It’s really not a big deal to accommodate someone, at least in a small setting. Read a label, have substitutes, learn how to use an epipen if needed. No the world won’t be considerate or sacrifice. But one’s friends or club can make life easier for a person. Otherwise I have no opinion on nut free schools. If they do it fine. If they have nut free tables that’s fine too. I’m okay with some sort of accommodation. And if all your autistic child will eat is peanut butter that’s fine. Accommodate that too. But he or she needs food sensitivity therapy. They can’t live like that. My son hates vegetables. They make him gag. But slowly he’s learning how to prepare them so he can eat them. Because he has no choice tbh.
So no home lunches or snacks? How else would you enforce that as school admin that would be more effective than a different dining area or table?

That is my main issue with the policy, you are asking a lot of people to sacrifice for little benefit, KwIM?
I think you misunderstand me. I personally don’t care what schools do. Idc if they go completely nut free or accommodate in other ways. It doesn’t and never did affect my kids. They ate school lunches or waited until they got home. They don’t like peanut butter anyway or cold lunches. “Shrug”. I simply said meals provided by the school should be nut free. To my way of thinking we’ve got enough foods that we can get around a total nut ban. Now if a Sped child will only eat peanut butter by all means accommodate him or her. And send her to therapy to address whatever sensitivity issue they’ve got. It’s for their own good.

Our school had nut free tables and everyone was fine with that. And I believe school lunches were also nut free.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

sarah824 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:26 pm Here is my VERY unpopular opinion on this -

Why do we continue to make rules/accommodations for such a small group of people when the ramifications of these rules/accommodations affect such a large group negatively? It is not just the nut thing, but many different things in society where we cater to the smallest group regardless of how it impacts the majority.

That being said - We are a rule following family so if this rule came up at our high school then we would figure out how to follow it whether we agreed with it or not.
Totally agree.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My children have all came through schools (JK to grade 8) with complete peanut and tree nut bans, along with classroom bans on certain food (fish, shellfish, strawberries, egg, and such). So I have never had a issue with it. But once a student gets to high school I think this has to change. Many high schools around here are over 1,000 students and with them eating in different location - caf, classrooms, outside, going out for lunch. It becomes much more difficult to control and can create a false sense of security to the effected child. Once a child hits a certain age they need to be able to realize that these foods are going to be part of daily life and they may come in contact with them at any time.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Still a no from me. It's not my job or responsibility to manage someone else's allergy. That is 100% on the kid and the kid's parent(s). The older the child, the better able they should be to manage themselves.

When I was working in a daycare, there was a 4 year old that was allergic to peanuts. An assistant from a different room brought in snacks that had peanut in them. The girl took one bite, felt her tongue get fuzzy, and washed her own mouth out with water. I got in trouble for giving the lead teachers a heads up the next morning, so they could be prepared for a potential irate parent. The director was a bitch with a hard on hate for my family.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Locked Previous topicNext topic