Grand Jury declines to indict woman in Emmett Till case.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

300C0E19-3669-42A2-BA68-020328D9A3E1.jpeg

I hesitantly agree with the decision. She might very well be guilty, but with everyone else to do with the case and the accusation being dead, there’s be no way to confront her accusers, or to cross examine the witnesses.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

It’s never too late. Edgar Ray Killen and Byron De la Beckwidth were both sentences to prison long after their crimes and a lot of people involved passed away. Bryant’s involvement in Till’s death is very well documented without the need to interrogate the dead.

I disagree with this decision and hate it for Till’s family.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am truly so torn on this. What this woman did was absolutely appalling and I only wish she would have been charged all those years ago. Anything now feels like too little, too late, and despite the horrific thing that she did, which I do not mean to undermine or excuse, the fact is it just simply does not sit right with me to change someone this late who is in that condition. Ugh, the whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I see this decision as continued prejudice. What was done to that young man based on her erroneous report is just horrific. What was done afterward by everyone from the sheriff—-ordering the body to be buried—thank God for the mortuary who got it home—to the judge and jury. It’s pathetic and grotesque.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Yeah, but with De Beckwidth they did have prior testimony of people under oath.
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:10 pm It’s never too late. Edgar Ray Killen and Byron De la Beckwidth were both sentences to prison long after their crimes and a lot of people involved passed away. Bryant’s involvement in Till’s death is very well documented without the need to interrogate the dead.

SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:26 pm Yeah, but with De Beckwidth they did have prior testimony of people under oath.
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:10 pm It’s never too late. Edgar Ray Killen and Byron De la Beckwidth were both sentences to prison long after their crimes and a lot of people involved passed away. Bryant’s involvement in Till’s death is very well documented without the need to interrogate the dead.

Till’s case went to trial with documented testimony as well. Bryant and Milam also sold their story to a magazine admitting to the crime after they were acquitted.

The state has had absolutely no excuse for the lack of justice in this case from the time Till was killed to date.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

This decision is so wrong. What she did and her role in his murder is well documented. Emmett Till’s family was robbed and continues to be robbed of justice. I hate this.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:18 pm I am truly so torn on this. What this woman did was absolutely appalling and I only wish she would have been charged all those years ago. Anything now feels like too little, too late, and despite the horrific thing that she did, which I do not mean to undermine or excuse, the fact is it just simply does not sit right with me to change someone this late who is in that condition. Ugh, the whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach.
Did you also have an issue with the man that just went to jail for being a Nazi and his crimes? If you were ok with that and have an issue with this..I just cannot understand. She lied and this young 14 year old boy was beaten and killed...so abhorrently that he could barely be identified.
This is a miscarriage of justice for the Till family. Period. Racism is disgusting and declining to indict this racist woman is awful.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Yes, but they were going after a kidnapping charge, so there has to be enough evidence to prove that.

In this case a lot of that evidence would have been testimony, but there is no way to confront her accusers, which is an an American right.
And there wouldn’t be any way to cross examine that testimony, which is a necessity to ensure a fair trial.

They could have gotten her if this was around the time it happened, they could have probably put her away for a very long time. But there’s almost no way now to prove a legal fair trial, even if she’s guilty as sin.
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:04 pm
jessilin0113 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:18 pm I am truly so torn on this. What this woman did was absolutely appalling and I only wish she would have been charged all those years ago. Anything now feels like too little, too late, and despite the horrific thing that she did, which I do not mean to undermine or excuse, the fact is it just simply does not sit right with me to change someone this late who is in that condition. Ugh, the whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach.
Did you also have an issue with the man that just went to jail for being a Nazi and his crimes? If you were ok with that and have an issue with this..I just cannot understand. She lied and this young 14 year old boy was beaten and killed...so abhorrently that he could barely be identified.
This is a miscarriage of justice for the Till family. Period. Racism is disgusting and declining to indict this racist woman is awful.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

She's going to get hers in the afterlife.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic