I told my daughter that I won't pay for a dorm room

mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:12 am
mcginnisc wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 am We're not paying for a dorm if dd goes to the local school that she is dual enrolled with. Nope. She can live at home and commute. If she goes away to school, then yes..we will of course pay for room and board/meal plan. She knows that she will live at home and commute the 10 miles to the school if she goes there.
I would not pay $16K for a dorm living across from the school either. I don't blame you in the least. Housing is where they get you. Our dd's top choice is $9700+ for tuition per semester and housing is $13K..then, meal plan/parking, other fees.. to the tune of almost $30K a year. Housing is insane. If she gets accepted, we will pay it. I will grin and bear it when I pay it. LOL
If she was going out of state I would try and help but I couldn't afford $30k a year even if I want to.
I'm not sure how we will pay for it in all honesty. Girlfriend will need some scholarships for sure. Oh, and this is for UGA.. we live 90 minutes away from the school.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:51 am Well, it doesn’t make any sense to you because all you’re seeing is the money aspect. It makes perfect sense from her side, now crossing that threshold and wanting that opportunity to make her own rules, live on her own, take responsibility and have the freedoms that come with it. She’s seeing others have this important part of college and she’s being left out.
Personally, I would support her, if I could afford it. I wouldn’t see it as a waste of money. If I couldn’t afford it myself, I would talk to her about how we can make it a joint effort, either by her getting a loan or a job.
But I definitely wouldn’t dismiss it because I don’t want to spend that money. There’s a lot of positives that come with the experience of being on your own. But she definitely would have to chip in.
You would really pay $16K for her to move across the street? Give me a break. That is insane. Mine would be told no as well. If you go local, you stay at home and commute. If you go somewhere further than 15 miles away, you live in the dorms.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would not pay for dorms if we lived across from the University. I do understand her wanting to live with friends and start her next phase of life into adulthood. That said, maybe have a conversation about house rules now that she is a college student. Give her the freedom and such that is part of the process of living away from home/being a college student.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My husband and I disagree on this topic. He feels living in the dorms is a rite of passage that he wants all 3 kids to experience. Me, not so much!!
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

It's a right of passage. Let her figure out on her own how lame dorm rooms are.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

My DD went to university just down the street and really wanted the dorm experience but we couldn't afford it. She spent the first two years of university alternating between crashing on friend's floors in the dorm and having them crash at our house for a break from dorms. We laugh and said she got the best of both worlds!
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I am 30 mins away from DD's university. When she decided to move to the dorm she paid for it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't pay either. That's a hell of a lot of money to waste on something unnecessary.

I never stayed in dorms. When I went to college I was living first with my mom, then with my dad. I commuted to classes every day which was never very far. I still got my diploma and it still served me well in life, even without the dorm living.

She may think it's the end of the world if she doesn't get to but she couldn't be more wrong.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That’s exceptionally high. The most DD’s housing was 650 for a 3 bedroom, apt style dorm, like you described. Room and board, here at least, is determined by 1) which dorm, 2.) how many occupants the cost is divided by number of roommates, and 3.) which meal plan if any is selected. That’s more per month than what I pay for 2400 sq foot 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Where is she going where dorm rooms are that expensive? My daughter is staying on campus the dorm rooms range from 3500-8000 per year.

Did your daughter apply for scholarships?
Locked Previous topicNext topic