Brittney Griner found guilty in Russian court, sentenced to nine years in prison

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A Russian judge found Griner guilty of drug possession and smuggling with criminal intent and handed down a 9-year sentence, just shy of the maximum 10 years that she was eligible to receive. Griner was also fined 1 million rubles, roughly $16,300 US dollars.

As the judge announced Griner’s verdict in Russian, a translator relayed what was said to the WNBA star. Sitting inside a courtroom cell, a silent, stone-faced Griner listened with her lips pursed and her hands clasped in front of her.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/brittney-g ... 34083.html
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I just saw this!!! Holy SHIT @ 9 years.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We were just talking about this at work. I mean who smuggles hashish into Russia? England, Australia yeah you might be fine. But anyplace Putin runs? I wouldn’t smuggle anything stronger than an ibuprofen into that country. Ditto Singapore, Italy, Saudi Arabia. If you find yourself smuggling drugs into any of those places. you definitely should find a Narcotics Anon and quickly.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:40 pm We were just talking about this at work. I mean who smuggles hashish into Russia? England, Australia yeah you might be fine. But anyplace Putin runs? I wouldn’t smuggle anything stronger than an ibuprofen into that country. Ditto Singapore, Italy, Saudi Arabia. If you find yourself smuggling drugs into any of those places. you definitely should find a Narcotics Anon and quickly.
I’d be scared to take hardly anything over there too.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

OMG … That poor woman! I hope she doesn’t end up like Otto Wombier.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:40 pm We were just talking about this at work. I mean who smuggles hashish into Russia? England, Australia yeah you might be fine. But anyplace Putin runs? I wouldn’t smuggle anything stronger than an ibuprofen into that country. Ditto Singapore, Italy, Saudi Arabia. If you find yourself smuggling drugs into any of those places. you definitely should find a Narcotics Anon and quickly.
It was stupid and she should have known better (maybe she did) and technically it was drug smuggling. She was carrying vape cartridges with CBD and THC oil (prescribed to her in Arizona) for her personal use. I think she probably thought the levels of THC in the vape cartridges would not raise any alarms. Again stupid, but I really feel sorry for her and her family.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Play stupid games...
Although now that she's an "official" prisoner with a sentence, they can trade for her if they wanted.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Griner played in Russia for years, foreign players are given guidance on the laws to help them avoid problems.

I feel bad that she's going through this and is facing a decade in prison, but also recognize she is at fault and 100% responsible for her troubles.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:03 pm
It was stupid and she should have known better (maybe she did) and technically it was drug smuggling. She was carrying vape cartridges with CBD and THC oil (prescribed to her in Arizona) for her personal use. I think she probably thought the levels of THC in the vape cartridges would not raise any alarms. Again stupid, but I really feel sorry for her and her family.
I feel bad too. 9 years is a long time.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

I'm honestly shocked that she has received essentially full years in sentencing minus a few months, and I do feel bad for her and her family, but they all should have known the consequences of a stupid action there.
Locked Previous topicNext topic