Is the Cracker Barrel menu getting 'woke'? Meat eaters rage on Facebook over addition of Impossible sausage

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:54 pm
EarlGrayHot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:59 am It's just stupid that anyone would bitch about additional options on a menu. It has nothing to do with being "woke," a term I'm sick of hearing because idiots are griping about it. People can just get over it. Why would it be a bad thing for a restaurant to offer options?
This isn't just any option. No one would complain, or call it woke, if the new option was a steak between two chicken breasts with bacon.

The problem is that vegetarian options imply care - for one's health, for animals, for the environment - which the complainers do not want to think about, because it might find them wanting.
Your last paragraph suggests that you assume far too much on why people are upset over something so silly.

Don't allow yourself to be so caught up in new tags and trends that you happen to agree with and then turn around, pointing fingers condescendingly.

Yes, the complainers are being ridiculous but how do you know they're really left "wanting?"
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:21 pm
EarlGrayHot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:59 am It's just stupid that anyone would bitch about additional options on a menu. It has nothing to do with being "woke," a term I'm sick of hearing because idiots are griping about it. People can just get over it. Why would it be a bad thing for a restaurant to offer options?
This isn't just any option. No one would complain, or call it woke, if the new option was a steak between two chicken breasts with bacon.

The problem is that vegetarian options imply care - for one's health, for animals, for the environment - which the complainers do not want to think about, because it might find them wanting.
Your last paragraph suggests that you assume far too much on why people are upset over something so silly.

Don't allow yourself to be so caught up in new tags and trends that you happen to agree with and then turn around, pointing fingers condescendingly.

Yes, the complainers are being ridiculous but how do you know they're really left "wanting?"
Why do you think they are upset?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:43 pm

Honestly, I think the complainers are upset because they have been told to be upset. Their favorite media outlets constantly tell them they are being attacked, things are being taken from them, culture is changing in a way that won't favor them, they will have to acknowledge other people, or other ideas, or other beliefs. They are "victims" in some undefined way and anything that can be used to further this plot line is a big story. Rather sad.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:11 pm
Honestly, I think the complainers are upset because they have been told to be upset. Their favorite media outlets constantly tell them they are being attacked, things are being taken from them, culture is changing in a way that won't favor them, they will have to acknowledge other people, or other ideas, or other beliefs. They are "victims" in some undefined way and anything that can be used to further this plot line is a big story. Rather sad.
True, but they are being told to be upset over *this* because vegetarianism is 'woke' and that is a slur.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:30 am
SallyMae wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:09 pm The reaction against vegetarian options and against the word "woke" are the same - a knee-jerk rejection of the idea of caring.
You honestly believe that those opposed to or tired of the word "woke" are rejecting the idea of caring? How so and in your own words (versus quotes or links)?
Woke means caring about systemic racism. What is there to be opposed to?
I think of "woke" more as a newer term for political correctness.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:53 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:30 am

You honestly believe that those opposed to or tired of the word "woke" are rejecting the idea of caring? How so and in your own words (versus quotes or links)?
Woke means caring about systemic racism. What is there to be opposed to?
I think of "woke" more as a newer term for political correctness.
Political correctness means caring about systemic injustice and trying not to perpetuate it. So, I agree, and I don't think that's a problem.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

My guess? They're opposed to the change in menu and perhaps feel that this new sausage is going to lead to more changes, which is absurd. Their traditional CB options are still available and now maybe a new type of customer can be accomodated...those opposed to animal products.

But I do not feel they're the unwoke or systemically racist.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:14 pm
My guess? They're opposed to the change in menu and perhaps feel that this new sausage is going to lead to more changes, which is absurd. Their traditional CB options are still available and now maybe a new type of customer can be accomodated...those opposed to animal products.

They are the ones who used the word 'woke' as their complaint, and they would not be complaining if the change was more meat options.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm
AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:14 pm

They are the ones who used the word 'woke' as their complaint, and they would not be complaining if the change was more meat options.
You feel you really know why they're complaining? That it doesn't really have anything to do with meatless sausage?
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:24 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:36 am There’s not enough time in the day to care what Cracker Barrel is serving for breakfast…
Maybe for you, but obviously it triggered some.
I don’t know what that means.

Are they actually truly upset, or did they just make an asshole comment to the news walking by the reporter because they could?

I don’t even think they care…
Locked Previous topicNext topic