Is this offensive? The Wandering Jew.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

It’s the actual name of the plant. I was taken aback by seeing this, I don’t think it’s ok to name plants after cultural groups that have nothing to do with the plant.

https://gardengoodsdirect.com/products/ ... 3056333888
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It is not the "actual name," rather it is a common nickname for the Transcendia plant. Personally, I would not use that name as the origin is from Christian folklore about Jews being condemned to wander the earth for their beliefs. Not a positive reference so why perpetuate that?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Good morning, Bob!
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, it says that “this plant is not only beautiful, but flexible in all growing environments.”
So I find it hard to be offended by it. I guess I reserve my anger and indignation for actual insults and denigrating comments.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I've always referred to it as Spiderwort.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It has roots in anti-semitism and was later used as a stereotype in Nazi propaganda. A lot of horticultural sites will no longer use the term.
Many people dislike the use of a common name that has a history of racism and bigotry, and would like to see us encourage the use of the scientific name or other common names, and we’ve listened.
https://www.house-plant-hobbyist.com/bl ... %20Germany.

... in Christian legend there is certainly a mythical figure called the Wandering Jew who embodies anti-Jewish animus. The underlying notion is that the Jews are destined to wander and be reviled because they rejected Jesus.

The story takes many forms and its origin is likely to have had little if any specific connection with Jews.

Not until the 13th century did it become a clearly antisemitic legend, often linked with the tradition that an officer of the high priesthood struck Jesus on the way to the cross and Jesus condemned him to suffer punishment until the so-called second coming ("You will go on forever until I return" is what Jesus is said to have told him).

Centuries of anti-Jewish prejudice inexorably conditioned Christian communities to see the Jew as a pathetic sinner doomed by his rejection of Jesus.
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/285764
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Cancel that too.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

The naming of this particular plant goes back decades, and it's been widely known by this specific name because it's a desert plant that spreads out.

While growing up, my dad grew this plant, but always called it the "purple plant" vs its more known name.

I'd imagine if we look hard enough, we'll always find things that offend.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Good morning 🌞
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:20 amGood morning, Bob!
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Everything is offensive these days so why not? Or even better how about we just get over it and move on with our lives instead of being crybabies?
Locked Previous topicNext topic