So John Leguzamo ( maybe that’s spelled right, maybe it isn’t…) is mad they cast James Franco as Fidel Castro…

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

And I get it.. Franco isn’t Hispanic.

But have you seen their side by sides when Castro was like 30??? They look EXACTLY alike!! Lol I don’t know… I kinda think it was a damn good casting job.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Why does every actor have to be the ethnicity of the characters they are portraying? Isn't that whole point of acting? If he's got the look and the acting skills they are looking for then the best candidate got the job. People need to get over themselves
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Ridiculous. And if we want to go his route then fine. No gay actor can ever play a straight role , no woman of color can ever play a role of a white woman, a hispanic can only play a role of a hispanic and no other race. There are a ton of minority actors I can think of that played the role of a white/straight person and they are not.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

And James Franco is fine as hell.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:55 am Why does every actor have to be the ethnicity of the characters they are portraying? Isn't that whole point of acting? If he's got the look and the acting skills they are looking for then the best candidate got the job. People need to get over themselves
When it's a biopic of a specific historic figure and the person being represented is from an ethnic background that has historically been shut out of staring roles for big budget films, it matters.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:10 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:55 am Why does every actor have to be the ethnicity of the characters they are portraying? Isn't that whole point of acting? If he's got the look and the acting skills they are looking for then the best candidate got the job. People need to get over themselves
When it's a biopic of a specific historic figure and the person being represented is from an ethnic background that has historically been shut out of staring roles for big budget films, it matters.
So it ONLY matters when it's a historical figure? Jake Gillenthal has said he could never accept the role he did in Broke back Mountain these days because he is not gay. Do you agree with him or no?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/jake-gy ... 51084.html
Anonymous 1

Unread post

No it doesn't. How many Hispanic actors went out for the roll? How many were better than Franco? It's all about the acting. Id rather watch someone of a different ethnicity portray the roll properly and enjoy the movie then watch shitty acting by someone who got the roll just because they were the right ethnicity.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:19 am
So it ONLY matters when it's a historical figure? Jake Gillenthal has said he could never accept the role he did in Broke back Mountain these days because he is not gay. Do you agree with him or no?

That is so silly to me. If he played the part well and was that best for the roll then so be it. No matter what someone somewhere will be offended by everything you(general you) do in life.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Cubans aren’t shut out…

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls020079124/
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:26 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:19 am

That is so silly to me. If he played the part well and was that best for the roll then so be it. No matter what someone somewhere will be offended by everything you(general you) do in life.
I agree but apparently that's what it has come down to. I'm curious to see if Franco will indeed be playing this role now or no because a hispanic person is upset.
Locked Previous topicNext topic