How would you pronounce this name?

Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:09 am Jadyn.

Jay-din or Jad-in?

This lady in the parent group in my sons university kept calling her DD Jay-din but the name is clearly phonetically spelled Jad-in. No??
However the young woman going to the same university as your son wishes the pronunciation to be.

Nowadays, parents will change the spelling of a child's name though the pronunciation will be the same as other children.

Just roll with it.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Ok . Why is this triggering you?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:34 am
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:27 am You pronounce names in whatever way the person chooses to be addressed.
And to hell with the English language then? Okie dokie!
My son learned that as a 2 syllable word ja-dyn ja is an open syllable and therefore it has the long a sound. In the other examples of yours (sad, mad, etc) it's a closed syllable so a short vowel sound.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Jay-din would be my first guess, however if I was corrected then I’d pronounce it whichever way the person pronounces it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:09 am Jadyn.

Jay-din or Jad-in?

This lady in the parent group in my sons university kept calling her DD Jay-din but the name is clearly phonetically spelled Jad-in. No??
When you say "Jad-in" do you mean as in rhymes with Aladdin? Because that would never occur to me just looking at "Jadyn". I would assume it's pronounced "Jay-din" until notified otherwise.

Names don't follow normal rules. I know someone who's name is pronounced just like the word "destiny" but her name is spelled Destyne. Parent's choice, and because it's a name it's not wrong.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Jay-din or however the person tells me to pronounce it.

My daughter is Annika..... Pronounced Ann-Ick-Uh, people have argued it should be pronounce. On-ick-uh, AH-Nick-uh, or Ahh-nee-ka.

Nope its pronounced Ann-Ick-Uh, because that's how she and I pronounce it and that's what I named her.
RIZZY1
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Do you mean you would pronounce it with a long A? Like "had"? That makes zero sense to me. It's spelled "differently" but I'm not familiar with "Had-in" in any language or culture.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would say Jay-din
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic