MIL is having a tantrum because some of my kids can't make it to her birthday party

Anonymous 1

Unread post

This is the first time all of her grandchildren can't attend her party. Three of my kids can't make it because they have other plans.

She called DH and yelled at him over it. She has been sending nasty messages in the group chat. She says we should reevaluate our parenting and that the kids should respect their elders and be forced to go.

The ones that can't make it were going to do something for their grandma on their own time but now they don't want to. My kids are the oldest of the grandkids. They have their own lives and responsibilities. Mil can't expect everyone to be there every single year forever.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

How many children do you have and what are their ages?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:53 am How many children do you have and what are their ages?
I have 5 kids. My 16, 17, and 18 year old can't make it to the party. My 22 and 25 year olda are going.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What exactly are their other plans that are so much more important than their grandmothers birthday?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Did MIl discuss it with you all first and did they agree to go? How much advance notice did they have? If they agreed and now are backing out I can understand her annoyance.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What are the others doing on the day of the party? Does she have a party ever year?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:39 am What exactly are their other plans that are so much more important than their grandmothers birthday?
One is working, one has tryouts, and one is going on a trip with her boyfriend that has been planned for awhile.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:38 am Did MIl discuss it with you all first and did they agree to go? How much advance notice did they have? If they agreed and now are backing out I can understand her annoyance.
They never said they were going. I would agree that it would not be nice if they said they were going and then couldn't but also it depends on what is going on. Ds doesn't have much control over his work schedule.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:42 am What are the others doing on the day of the party? Does she have a party ever year?
Yes she does. One is working. One has tryouts and one will be out of state.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:56 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:39 am What exactly are their other plans that are so much more important than their grandmothers birthday?
One is working, one has tryouts, and one is going on a trip with her boyfriend that has been planned for awhile.
A teenager can’t get a single day off work for an important family commitment? The tryouts last the entire length of the party?
Locked Previous topicNext topic