Brittney Griner found guilty in Russian court, sentenced to nine years in prison

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RIZZY1 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:13 pm
mater-three wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:49 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:15 pm

We do understand the three branches of government, especially Preserved. Biden could get it passed a lot easier than he and Obama got Obamacare passed.
Preserved? The President is legislative not executive. All I said was the President doesn’t make laws. His job is to carry out laws. He may be able to influence the executive branch, but he can’t just get something passed just because he wants it passed. I don’t give two hairs if marijuana is passed at a federal level or not as I don’t smoke or whatever else you do with it. I doubt he could get it passed any easier than they passed the affordable care act - which is not Obamacare.

The President is part of the legislative branch?
No I switched them. The president is executive not legislative.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:23 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:17 pm
Lexy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:37 pm Griner played in Russia for years, foreign players are given guidance on the laws to help them avoid problems.

I feel bad that she's going through this and is facing a decade in prison, but also recognize she is at fault and 100% responsible for her troubles.
I do think that she might have assumed that Russian authorities would make an exception in her case because she was an athlete (think FIFA where Russians allowed weed, heroin and cocaine on patrons if they had a "prescription". But this is a different political time and she should have known better.

I also wonder if she was fully aware that she was carrying THC vape. She had less than 1gram which is the equivalent of a partially used vape cartridge. So obviously wasn't traveling with a supply to be used her entire time in Russia.

I do feel incredibly sad for her as well as for Marc Foley who was arrested in Russia on similar charges last year.
What she had originally said was she hadn’t realized it was still in her travel bag and had not intended to bring it with her.
As someone who vapes and occasionally vapes THC to treat anxiety, that makes sense to me. It would be easy to overlook a partially used cartridge in a travel bag especially if you were traveling with non-THC cartridges as well.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:28 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:49 pm I can’t imagine that was her first time bringing in her prescription THC to Russia. I think that was her sixth season.

Biden annoys me with his indignation over the prison sentence. He has the power to legalize weed on the federal level and he hasn’t. so it’s still a criminal offense in most states. Most of the Midwest won’t even allow sick people to use it for relief of their symptoms. He still talks about weed being a gateway drug like it’s 1979.
Believe it or not the proposed bill doesn’t have a lot of support with legalized states and I have to agree with why they aren’t supporting it. You’re talking up to nearly 50% tax between state tax and federal tax.
I don’t get it. Are you saying the legalized states will be paying federal taxes and more state tax? It only effects people buying weed. It’s the states that refuse to legalize it that would benefit from federal legalization.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:29 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:17 pm

I do think that she might have assumed that Russian authorities would make an exception in her case because she was an athlete (think FIFA where Russians allowed weed, heroin and cocaine on patrons if they had a "prescription". But this is a different political time and she should have known better.

I also wonder if she was fully aware that she was carrying THC vape. She had less than 1gram which is the equivalent of a partially used vape cartridge. So obviously wasn't traveling with a supply to be used her entire time in Russia.

I do feel incredibly sad for her as well as for Marc Foley who was arrested in Russia on similar charges last year.
What she had originally said was she hadn’t realized it was still in her travel bag and had not intended to bring it with her.
As someone who vapes and occasionally vapes THC to treat anxiety, that makes sense to me. It would be easy to overlook a partially used cartridge in a travel bag especially if you were traveling with non-THC cartridges as well.
I'm not saying Griner is wrong because no one is perfect, so I am speaking in terms of learning from her mistakes.

Never put weed in anything that you take outside of your home (purses, backpack, etx) and always check your luggage to make sure you (gen) are not riding dirty by accident. That is what we did back in the day because you never know when you may get stopped by the police, even moreso going in an airport.

Best thing to do is not to store it in anything that you remove from your home and check your luggage before traveling so you're not caught riding dirty by mistake.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 pm

I'm not saying Griner is wrong because no one is perfect, so I am speaking in terms of learning from her mistakes.

Never put weed in anything that you take outside of your home (purses, backpack, etx) and always check your luggage to make sure you (gen) are not riding dirty by accident. That is what we did back in the day because you never know when you may get stopped by the police, even moreso going in an airport.

Best thing to do is not to store it in anything that you remove from your home and check your luggage before traveling so you're not caught riding dirty by mistake.
Oh I agree. I'm super careful even though it's legal where I am simply because I drive a lot through a local national park where it's illegal. It drives me nuts that my daughter and her boyfriend are not more careful but they seem to think they're invincible.

At the same time, they are living in an area where they can pick it up everywhere and our favorite restaurant even has a Cannabis lounge so the idea that they could get in trouble transporting it three miles down the road escapes them.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:48 pm

Oh I agree. I'm super careful even though it's legal where I am simply because I drive a lot through a local national park where it's illegal. It drives me nuts that my daughter and her boyfriend are not more careful but they seem to think they're invincible.

At the same time, they are living in an area where they can pick it up everywhere and our favorite restaurant even has a Cannabis lounge so the idea that they could get in trouble transporting it three miles down the road escapes them.
I remember the days I thought I was invincible too. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

It was so much fun, even if it was not the smartest. Lmao!!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:57 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:48 pm

I remember the days I thought I was invincible too. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

It was so much fun, even if it was not the smartest. Lmao!!
I survived the 80s!
Locked Previous topicNext topic