Summer camp

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My kids go to the same summer camp for a week every year. They love it. This year their week got cancelled bc of staff shortages thanks to covid. I put them both on a waitlist. I just got an email saying my oldest got in for next week (the last week) but nothing for my youngest hasn’t yet.

What would you do? I have until Friday to respond. Take the spot? Or pass unless both can go?
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That's tough. If there is not another spot open by Friday, I would probably pass.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would probably let the one go and then figure out something fun to do with the other for that week. Creates some great one-on-one time that you might not otherwise get...
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Sadly things aren’t always going to be equal, it’s a teachable moment so one goes and one doesn’t. I’d make sure the one who doesn’t go still has a good time, but just in a different way.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If the oldest wants to go I'd send the oldest and find something else for the youngest. Like another person said, special one-on-one time.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do your kids want to go at the same time ? If the younger one is okay not going with his brother I would let the older go first.

If you are fairly certain the youngest can go the following week I don’t think it’s necessary to do any other activity. If it’s unclear about whether the youngest will get an opportunity to go then I would plan to something else with him.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How old are they? As long as they are old enough to talk it out with, I would just explain the reality of it to them. That the older one has a space, but unfortunately they don’t have a space for the younger one. That we didn’t choose who got the space, it’s just how it happens sometimes. So the older one will be going and we’ll figure out something fun for the younger one.

I always tell my kids that fair does not mean equal and sometimes one might end up with something that the others don’t have, it has nothing to do with anyone being better or anyone being a favorite. This summer one of my kids earned a scholarship to a camp that would be out of our budget. It’s a camp that two of my other kids would have enjoyed, but we just explained that he was granted the scholarship, we should be happy for him, and they will still have fun this summer and sometimes they’ll get to do things he won’t get to do.

If they are both little, like 4-6 year olds, then I’d probably keep them both out and give up the spot. At that age they just aren’t going to get it if ones allowed to go and also aren’t going to dwell on not going if neither of them are.
Locked Previous topicNext topic