My state had primaries today

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

5 states in the US held primary elections today: AZ, MI, MO, KS and WA. I'm a registered voter in Arizona. However, I don't register with any one party, so normally I wouldn't even be voting in the primaries.

But here's the kicker. My city also had elections today for mayor plus two different elections for city council member. Why they do these city elections in August and not in November I have no idea, and if anyone has an explanation for me I would love to hear it.

But I wanted to vote for these city elections so I went to my polling place. At the first table was where I presented my ID and they are to look me up, ask me to verify my address and ask me to sign a thing. But during this process she asked me "are you Republican or Democrat". I said "neither". She said "you need to choose one to vote in the primaries". I said "even for just the city elections such as mayor?" At that point she had to call someone over to help because she didn't know the answer to my question. The other lady comes over and she tells me "so you can choose Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or Non-partisan" so I told her non-partisan. And the first lady then processes me and hands me a ticket that I am to take to a different table to get my ballot.
I take the ticket to the table and I hand that lady (a 3rd lady a this point) my ticket. She looks at it kind of funny and then hands it to the lady next to her (a 4th lady at this point) saying "what does this mean? what ballot do I give her?" The 4th lady looks at it a moment and says "that's non-partisan give her that ballot" pointing to the correct ballot. I get my ballot and go to a booth and mark my selections, fold it up, put it in the ballot box and am on my way. My ballot literally had the three different elections on it, mayor and two different city council, nothing else, which is all I wanted.

But why did it seem like I was the odd sheep that threw a monkey wrench into their operations? Is it really so odd to have a non-partisan at the election? If this is the way the city does their city elections, shouldn't the volunteers know the procedure? They had the ballots there. I saw them on the table. They either had a red stripe for Republican, blue stripe for Democrat, yellow stripe for Libertarian, and then my non-partisan one had a purple stripe.

I know I live in a very red county in a fairly red state but still...
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Volunteers know where you vote depending on where you live. This is how it is in NY and NJ. I was never asked my political party.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:17 pm Volunteers know where you vote depending on where you live. This is how it is in NY and NJ. I was never asked my political party.
I guess I'm not entirely sure what you are saying. In primaries you have to choose one party. Since I never registered with a particular party, that's why they asked me to begin with. But since my city elections (not part of primaries) are also today I am allowed to vote without choosing a particular party. But the volunteers didn't seem to understand that. That's what I'm wondering why they weren't educated on it.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

I've heard other stories about volunteers being confused by independent voters here.

Blake Masters against Mark Kelly in November.

Possibly Kari Lake vs Katie Hobbs in November though there's only 12k difference in votes between Lake and Robson, and I smell a recount coming up.

I haven't heard/read the tallies for Attorney General and Secretary of State yet.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So all you needed was the city ballot. They are probably more focused on state. Being an independent in AZ, we can vote in state/fed primaries but have to choose either republican or democrat for that. Im guessing with some being close a lot are voting in this primary. You may have been the first only voting city.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldCoot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:26 am I've heard other stories about volunteers being confused by independent voters here.

Blake Masters against Mark Kelly in November.

Possibly Kari Lake vs Katie Hobbs in November though there's only 12k difference in votes between Lake and Robson, and I smell a recount coming up.

I haven't heard/read the tallies for Attorney General and Secretary of State yet.
It’s going to be very close. Tbh, while I don’t like either, I’d rather Robson against Hobbs than Lake. I just don’t want to give Trump a foothold here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic