Two lanes to one for drive thru

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Does this type of setup annoy you?

We go to Dutch Bros (a coffee place with drive thru or walk up only) once or twice a week. The drive thru has the setup that it starts out as two lanes and then before you arrive at the window you zipper together into one lane. As you approach the two lines there is a sign saying "use shortest lane". They always have employees outside with tablets going to each car and taking orders. The employee will tell you "follow behind such and such vehicle" so you know the order to zipper together.

But oftentimes, like this morning when I went, one line is longer than the other by about two or three cars. So I went into the shortest line and effectively ended up 'cutting' in front of a couple cars that were there before me. I wasn't trying to cut but it's just what happened with the way they took the orders. I also think, why did those other cars get in the longer line, maybe I shouldn't feel so bad because they made that choice.

Sometimes if it's just one other car and they were there first but the employee starts coming to me first I will direct the employee to the other car to be fair. But this morning I didn't just because it was so busy and so many cars, I just let the employees handle it how they saw fit. But it made me wonder if anyone was silently cursing me.

Does this type of drive thru bother you? Or do you not really care even if one or two get in front of you?
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don’t think about that kind of stuff. I pull in, place my order, if I can move forward I do so and continue on.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not really, fortunately, my life is no longer so hectic that a couple of cars cutting in front would upset me.

But I will add, I do remember in years past, when minutes did matter, I would have been annoyed by it.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I hated it at first. Now I'm used to it. I think businesses have gotten used to it, too. They're pretty good at verifying your order before accepting payment or handing out the food so I'm not worried if someone accidentally goes in front of me.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

We don’t do the drive thru often but when we do it doesn’t bother me. I go to the shortest line and proceed forward after my order is taken.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

re: cutting in line - I took my teens to the HS walk-through registration for next term. We got in line behind a kid and his mom, but as we waited, more and more kids from this guy's team showed up and they all just joined him in line. This meant we had to wait longer while nine or ten jocks got to go in front of us. The coach came up to greet the young men and I *almost* said, what you need to coach these cutters in is some manners. But, I didn't want to get them in trouble or make a scene so I ignored it. High school never changes, is my conclusion.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I have never done drive through but I always go to the easiest to maneuver lane for tolls even though it is often the longest line. I expect to wait.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My local chikfila will run 5 lanes into one. It's like the wild west! Every man to himself.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That’s like going to a grocery store and getting in a shorter line, no one’s cutting, you just chose the faster line. It’s not something I get bothered by and I wouldn’t try to mess with the flow by telling the employee to go to someone else first. If some stranger gets annoyed that you got through the line faster, that’s in them. You’re all getting your food, it just isn’t that serious.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

So not even on my radar to direct any energy toward.
Locked Previous topicNext topic