About 15?

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:59 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:53 pm I've never seen an "about" sign it's always a limit sign.
I got kicked out of the self checkout at Walmart once because it had a 10 item limit and I had 15. There wasn't even a sign! This was a few years back.
I wouldn't think anything of your overage. It drives me insane when the Walmart self checkout is a huge line of people with full carts and there isn't a lane for few items. Go stand in a regular line self checkouts aren't setup for a full cart.
At our Walmart there are self checkouts specifically set up for a full cart. There is a section of what I'll call small self checkouts. The bag area only has room for 2 or 3 bags of stuff, so ideally you only go with that much stuff. But next to that area continuing across the front of the store, there are self checkouts with a full automatic belt to roll stuff towards the register. And then the bagging area has room for a good 8 to 10 bags or more. It's huge and it's literally meant for full cart loads of stuff, but it's still a self checkout. You ring and bag everything yourself. And then at the other end there are a few registers with an actual cashier.

Self checkouts certainly aren't the same across the board anymore.
Yeah I've never seen one of those and these lines didn't have them they were just the ones with space for 2-3 bags. I'm curious is there a separate line for the different self checkouts? These people were trying to juggle overflowing carts of stuff at the tiny self checkouts and it took forever! Most of them ended up just standing there doing nothing while the other adult with them went to grab another cart and then since there wasn't enough space for the extra cart they'd block a 2nd register and it was just a mess. Or they'd block the walkway and nobody could get around them to and empty register. If they're setup for it go for it!
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:04 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:59 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:53 pm I've never seen an "about" sign it's always a limit sign.
I got kicked out of the self checkout at Walmart once because it had a 10 item limit and I had 15. There wasn't even a sign! This was a few years back.
I wouldn't think anything of your overage. It drives me insane when the Walmart self checkout is a huge line of people with full carts and there isn't a lane for few items. Go stand in a regular line self checkouts aren't setup for a full cart.
At our Walmart there are self checkouts specifically set up for a full cart. There is a section of what I'll call small self checkouts. The bag area only has room for 2 or 3 bags of stuff, so ideally you only go with that much stuff. But next to that area continuing across the front of the store, there are self checkouts with a full automatic belt to roll stuff towards the register. And then the bagging area has room for a good 8 to 10 bags or more. It's huge and it's literally meant for full cart loads of stuff, but it's still a self checkout. You ring and bag everything yourself. And then at the other end there are a few registers with an actual cashier.

Self checkouts certainly aren't the same across the board anymore.
Yeah I've never seen one of those and these lines didn't have them they were just the ones with space for 2-3 bags. I'm curious is there a separate line for the different self checkouts? These people were trying to juggle overflowing carts of stuff at the tiny self checkouts and it took forever! Most of them ended up just standing there doing nothing while the other adult with them went to grab another cart and then since there wasn't enough space for the extra cart they'd block a 2nd register and it was just a mess. Or they'd block the walkway and nobody could get around them to and empty register. If they're setup for it go for it!
Yes, they're separate. The area with the small checkouts is one area and each register is set up in a big square shape so for that area it's one line and kind of a free for all.
But then the area with the large self checkouts, each register has it's own line and there is easily room to line up 2 or 3 carts right behind each other without blocking any other registers. The length of the conveyor belt itself is about 2 cart lengths long.

This is about the best Google image I could find to demonstrate what I'm talking about. But where the employee is standing in the pic (cleaning the screen) is where the customer would stand to check their items. When I have a kid with me I have the kid put the items from the cart onto the conveyor belt and I just stand at the register scanning and bagging. It works out well for us.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

How many items did she have? If she had "about" 15, no, you wouldn't be wrong. If she had 1 or 2 then I would say kinda... But I'm the one who won't go through a 10 item or less if I have 11 items.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would not have given you any sort of look, but in this instance I am a rule follower. When Costco self-check-out says 15 or less, I interpret that as they would prefer the fewer the better, and if I have 4 extra items to scan, then yes, it would take longer, so I stay in my regular line.

I also always offer to let anyone with 1-3 items go before me.

Anymore, I mainly shop at Walmart Super center and Sam’s club so I can always use the scan & go.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

jas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:37 pm How many items did she have? If she had "about" 15, no, you wouldn't be wrong. If she had 1 or 2 then I would say kinda... But I'm the one who won't go through a 10 item or less if I have 11 items.
Honestly, I didn't even look to see what she had...

And I am usually the same way as far as not going through a 10 or less with 11, but this said "about" and I didn't even see it until I was already in line as it was hanging up above the self check area.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:00 pm I would not have given you any sort of look, but in this instance I am a rule follower. When Costco self-check-out says 15 or less, I interpret that as they would prefer the fewer the better, and if I have 4 extra items to scan, then yes, it would take longer, so I stay in my regular line.

I also always offer to let anyone with 1-3 items go before me.

Anymore, I mainly shop at Walmart Super center and Sam’s club so I can always use the scan & go.
I agree with you, but this didn't say 15 or less, this said "about 15", seems different than a hard limit , KWIM? Either way, it was new to me and I will definitely be more aware of it while using this store for the next few weeks...
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I had a super full cart and a manager told me to go to the express line. As I was unloading a lady walked up with two things. I told her to go ahead. As she did, she made a remark about being able to count. Kind of regretted letting her ahead of me after that. Lol.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Frankly, I HATE self-checkouts as there always seems to be a problem. I also feel any store should have regular lanes available if they are open. Now, if they want to offer me a discount for using those self-checkout lanes I might consider it.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:01 am Frankly, I HATE self-checkouts as there always seems to be a problem. I also feel any store should have regular lanes available if they are open. Now, if they want to offer me a discount for using those self-checkout lanes I might consider it.
I love self check, especially if I just have a few things or if I am in a hurry. I never seem to have any problems with them.

I've never been to any store that ONLY has self check, but there does seem to be more self check registers than open regular lines some days.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:01 am Frankly, I HATE self-checkouts as there always seems to be a problem. I also feel any store should have regular lanes available if they are open. Now, if they want to offer me a discount for using those self-checkout lanes I might consider it.
That's my take. We are paying for them to do that work. If we go and do it ourselves we're getting less for the same money.
Locked Previous topicNext topic