About 15?

sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My usual grocery store that is close to my house has construction going on nearby so I chose to go to a different store on my way home from work yesterday. They were pretty busy and only had 3 regular check stands open. Each of those had a minimum of 4 people in line and they all seemed to have large carts that were full. I only needed a few items so I figured I would go through self check as there were 5 of those going. I noticed, while in line, that self check had a sign that said "About 15 items" (my regular store doesn't have a self check limit), I did a quick count of the items in my cart and came up with 17 so I stayed in line. A lady walked by to get into line behind me and glanced at my cart, shook her head and gave me a look that indicated she was annoyed with me being in the self check line. Once I was done ringing up my items it turned out that I had 19 total...

I still feel that 19 qualifies as "about 15". What do you think? Was I wrong for being in the self check line with 19?
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LOL I wouldn't think twice.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Wow she's crazy. I use the self check out at walmart and I have an entire over flowing cart full. There is no 'about' sign there.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I really never notice how many items a person has and also I do not care. Now if you had a full cart load, and you were price matching everything I may roll my eyes and give you the death stare if you went through a 15 item or less line. But 19 items in a self-serve line I would not even notice.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, you were not wrong. "About" is an estimate and does not mean "exact" or "limit". And considering the number of people that go to the "Limit 10 items" line with 20 or more items, you are just fine with what you did. That lady was worrying about things that aren't worth worrying about.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:26 pm Wow she's crazy. I use the self check out at walmart and I have an entire over flowing cart full. There is no 'about' sign there.
I tend to do this at my usual store, especially if they aren't busy, but I have never seen a self check with a sign about how many items you can have either so I wasn't sure if maybe I was breaking some crazy rule! LOL

Definitely will be ready to go back to my regular store as soon as all of the construction is done...
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:33 pm No, you were not wrong. "About" is an estimate and does not mean "exact" or "limit". And considering the number of people that go to the "Limit 10 items" line with 20 or more items, you are just fine with what you did. That lady was worrying about things that aren't worth worrying about.
See, that is how I felt about it. I figured within 5 items I was safe... LOL

Hopefully I won't have to shop at this store very often while they are doing construction near the regular store...
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I've never seen an "about" sign it's always a limit sign.
I got kicked out of the self checkout at Walmart once because it had a 10 item limit and I had 15. There wasn't even a sign! This was a few years back.
I wouldn't think anything of your overage. It drives me insane when the Walmart self checkout is a huge line of people with full carts and there isn't a lane for few items. Go stand in a regular line self checkouts aren't setup for a full cart.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:53 pm I've never seen an "about" sign it's always a limit sign.
I got kicked out of the self checkout at Walmart once because it had a 10 item limit and I had 15. There wasn't even a sign! This was a few years back.
I wouldn't think anything of your overage. It drives me insane when the Walmart self checkout is a huge line of people with full carts and there isn't a lane for few items. Go stand in a regular line self checkouts aren't setup for a full cart.
At our Walmart there are self checkouts specifically set up for a full cart. There is a section of what I'll call small self checkouts. The bag area only has room for 2 or 3 bags of stuff, so ideally you only go with that much stuff. But next to that area continuing across the front of the store, there are self checkouts with a full automatic belt to roll stuff towards the register. And then the bagging area has room for a good 8 to 10 bags or more. It's huge and it's literally meant for full cart loads of stuff, but it's still a self checkout. You ring and bag everything yourself. And then at the other end there are a few registers with an actual cashier.

Self checkouts certainly aren't the same across the board anymore.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:53 pm I've never seen an "about" sign it's always a limit sign.
This was the first time I has seen such a sign myself... I figured I was safe being a few over. LOL
Locked Previous topicNext topic