Worried about my teen’s injury

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My athletic, active ODS dislocated his patellar in theater, in June. It was complicated by a huge piece of the patella breaking off as it slid over the femur. He finally had that piece removed via surgery, we’ve started PT, but he will need cartilage grafting & ligament repair this fall which will be an additional 6 months of recovery.

watching him do nothing but play computer games all summer was brutal. He will be starting his freshman year with a profound limp, unsteady gait and an unstable patella that can easily re-injure. And instead of activities with friends, it’s PT & elevate & ice.

No soccer,
No dance or theater.
No track.

And he’s always been a bit hyper & inattentive which improves when he stays physically active, so now I am super worried as he heads into all these AP classes.

He’s sad. I’m sad & worried. Life just sucks sometimes.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm sorry it's rough. I'm thankful my dancer should be cleared to return 6-8 weeks after her surgery because like you said it's so hard for active kids otherwise.
Can you get him a wheelchair? That has so helped my daughters attitude because she is able to push herself to build more upper body strength by using it. She spins in circles in the house for entertainment. It has given her a little more freedom as well.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

OMG I'm so sorry. Can he swim?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:58 am I'm sorry it's rough. I'm thankful my dancer should be cleared to return 6-8 weeks after her surgery because like you said it's so hard for active kids otherwise.
Can you get him a wheelchair? That has so helped my daughters attitude because she is able to push herself to build more upper body strength by using it. She spins in circles in the house for entertainment. It has given her a little more freedom as well.
Thanks — I am happy for your DD.

DS would not take well to a wheelchair. He actually would refuse his crutches frequently, choosing to hop on one healthy hanging on to a person or walls nearby if necessary, lol. As I said, he’s an active soul.

He has lost immense quadricep strength and mobility due to severity of the pain & swelling, so we are encouraging him to walk slowly now, as he will have to make a lot of progress prior to the second surgery. I am worried about the busy school hallways.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:07 am OMG I'm so sorry. Can he swim?
Thanks!

Maybe. Not right now post-op.

He’s more of a soccer, dodgeball, football, sprinting, running kid. He can swim, but does not love it. But idk, we may have to consider it. Although right now PT keeps us busy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic