I told my daughter she needs to get a job to pay for her food

Anonymous 1

Unread post

She wants to be vegan. I told her that she will have to figure it out with what I make or get a job to get her own food. I cant afford to make a separate meal for just her. I usually make freezer meals once a month because I am really busy and then I just throw it in a crock pot. I don't know of any meal I make that is vegan. I also know that no one else is interested in going vegan.

DD is 18 so she is old enough for a job. She needs to realize that the world doesn't revolve around her. If she can't eat what everyone else is eating she needs to figure out something else. This isnt some health issue or allergy, this is her wanting to be vegan to be one of the "cool" kids. There is reason she can't prepare her own meals.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I would not cater to vegan or vegetarian changes in diet unless it was a dire health situation. I would be willing to learn a few things and cook something special for them every now and then, though.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I get you not cooking for her but since you'd be making less food it seems like you could manage to buy her some. But she is 18 so it's your decision.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is there no middle ground? Do you not usually have vegetables with meals? I understand having her help prepare the food, she is an adult, but cooking vegan is often cheaper than buying meat and dairy products so I don’t really understand acting like it’s some big financial hardship if you were already paying for her food. If you want her to start contributing to the grocery bill, fine, she’s an adult and should have a job, but I don’t get why she can’t just buy some things to supplement whatever you’re making instead of having her buy and cook completely separate meals.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I mean for me it would depend on what she wants to do. Currently we discuss and agree to a menu and who is cooking when. My sons pay rent and board so they’re already contributing to their meals. If my sons ate more vegetables I’d accommodate that because I want them to. I’m trying to do that myself. I’d even look up vegan main dishes. Chili, ramen, curry or ratatouille. I wouldn’t completely go vegan but I’d take it as an opportunity to try new things. If she wanted impossible meat or vegan cheese no. Impossible meat is expensive and vegan cheese is the worse thing I’ve ever had. It tasted like kombucha only more fermented. Bleah. She can pay for and cook that stuff her own self. But vegetables and bean based foods I’ve no problem with.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:07 pm I get you not cooking for her but since you'd be making less food it seems like you could manage to buy her some. But she is 18 so it's your decision.
I'll still be making the same meals. It just means more left overs. The difference would be negligible.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:09 pm Is there no middle ground? Do you not usually have vegetables with meals?
We have veggies in almost every meal. I have multiple vegetarian meals also. That doesn't help with her being vegan.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:10 pm I mean for me it would depend on what she wants to do. Currently we discuss and agree to a menu and who is cooking when. If my sons ate more vegetables I’d accommodate that. I’m trying to do that myself. I’d even look up vegan main dishes. Chili, ramen, curry or ratatouille. I wouldn’t completely go vegan but I’d take it as an opportunity to try new things. If she wanted impossible meat or vegan cheese no. Impossible meat is expensive and vegan cheese is the worse thing I’ve ever had. It tasted like kombucha only more fermented. Bleah. She can pay for and cook that stuff her own self. But vegetables and bean based foods I’ve no problem with.
I haven't looked into vegan freezer meals and I don't mind doing some but that isn't enough for her to live off of.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can understand. I would be OK shopping for her if she gave me a list, but I would not be making 2 meals for someone that age. And I never cook vegan.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:13 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:10 pm I mean for me it would depend on what she wants to do. Currently we discuss and agree to a menu and who is cooking when. If my sons ate more vegetables I’d accommodate that. I’m trying to do that myself. I’d even look up vegan main dishes. Chili, ramen, curry or ratatouille. I wouldn’t completely go vegan but I’d take it as an opportunity to try new things. If she wanted impossible meat or vegan cheese no. Impossible meat is expensive and vegan cheese is the worse thing I’ve ever had. It tasted like kombucha only more fermented. Bleah. She can pay for and cook that stuff her own self. But vegetables and bean based foods I’ve no problem with.
I haven't looked into vegan freezer meals and I don't mind doing some but that isn't enough for her to live off of.
In my house everyone takes turns cooking. Would you be open to eating her recipes? I’m not saying go completely vegan or shell out for the substitutes. But there might be sides you can do on nights you cook. On nights she does try what she makes. I’ve had vegan chili and didn’t miss the meat. The impossible meat is good enough even my vegetable hating son had it in his tacos. Didn’t try the fake chicken. Gorditas and corn tortillas doesn’t require eggs. I mean we’d have a hard time in my house and I like diary. I think by all means she should contribute to food costs and cook.
Locked Previous topicNext topic