Are Americans always so rude?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am a server outside of the US. My town is not known as a travel town but over the last couple years it has expanded in to one. We have a lot of international visitors and I usually love them.

I have had three bad experiences all from Americans (or possibly Canadians, don't come for me but I can't always tell the difference in the accents).

One was when a woman got angry because others were in their swimsuits who had just come up from the water. This was back over the summer.

A couple weeks ago I had a large party get mad because there is an automatic gratuity when the table is more than 10 people. This is listed on the menu and signs are posted.

Last night I had a couple who were angry at me because they did not realise that they were charged for refills on their drinks.

I am sure not all Americans are rude but is this common for servers in the US? I try to give everyone grace because maybe they are just tired from traveling or having a bunch of kids or just life. I don't tend to have problems with other people even when there is a language barrier and we have to use Google translate.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I don’t know… my question is why are servers always so rude in every other country besides America?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 am I don’t know… my question is why are servers always so rude in every other country besides America?
I have never been rude at my job once. I probably should be in a few situations but I can't bring myself to do that. I know there is reputation of servers in some places but I have not seen that myself where I live or the places I have traveled. Except in Italy. The servers were rude to me every time when I was in Italy.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:07 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:05 am I don’t know… my question is why are servers always so rude in every other country besides America?
I have never been rude at my job once. I probably should be in a few situations but I can't bring myself to do that. I know there is reputation of servers in some places but I have not seen that myself where I live or the places I have traveled. Except in Italy. The servers were rude to me every time when I was in Italy.
I’ve been to almost every country in Europe and not a single place has waitstaff that even smiles at the customers… France is the worst, England they’re just fed up with being there, Italy you’re bugging them with your existence and in Germany they’re only happy to see quiet children.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

You've had rude experiences for sure, but that doesn't mean all Americans behave that way, and they don't.

I've always heard that people in New York can be incredibly rude but my experiences there were the opposite. They were so sweet, kind, and once I spoke, I was constantly asked..." Where you from?" When I'd say Arizona, they would seem really interested and say "It's hot there right?" 😊
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't think Americans are particularly rude. I do think that we tend to be ignorant of how things are in other countries. Refills tend to be free here. The lady who was upset about bathing suits sounds like a teetotaler but we certainly don't corner the market on that one. Regardless, it sounds like these are just ignorant people who didn't read up on the places they were visiting.

I must say, though, your tone and style of writing seems quite American.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

As someone who was a server in college town in the US, it’s not uncommon. I don’t want to paint it as something that happens all the time, but many servers in the US can relate and have their own stories of rude and entitled customers.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:40 am I don't think Americans are particularly rude. I do think that we tend to be ignorant of how things are in other countries. Refills tend to be free here. The lady who was upset about bathing suits sounds like a teetotaler but we certainly don't corner the market on that one. Regardless, it sounds like these are just ignorant people who didn't read up on the places they were visiting.

It could just be ignorance I had not thought about that.

How exactly does my post come off as American? I do not understand that at all.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 am
RIZZY wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:40 am I don't think Americans are particularly rude. I do think that we tend to be ignorant of how things are in other countries. Refills tend to be free here. The lady who was upset about bathing suits sounds like a teetotaler but we certainly don't corner the market on that one. Regardless, it sounds like these are just ignorant people who didn't read up on the places they were visiting.

The tone and style of writing. Word choice, mood, etc.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:02 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:50 am

The tone and style of writing. Word choice, mood, etc.
Okay I guess. I don't see how any of it comes off as American. I've never even been to the US lol.
Locked Previous topicNext topic