New York governor declares monkeypox a 'disaster emergency'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:42 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:44 am
Lexy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:30 am

Scroll down for a breakdown of confirmed cases

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/data/heal ... eypox.page
That’s interesting regarding age. I’m a little surprised that it’s highest in the 30-39 range. One would think it would be in the younger ranges. While this is showing 3 women, even IF hypothetically the transgender/non binary and unknown were all biologically born female, there’s a big gap pertaining to gender, even sexual orientation, which again makes me surprised at the age range stats. I’ll probably go down a rabbit hole later, because I’m curious what the global numbers show and if anyone has researched genetics/gender aspects. I still think genetics play a huge role with some of the variants of COVID.
It makes no sense that they are claiming you can get it by touching someone or breathing on someone. If that were the case then it wouldn’t be just all men. The subways, bars, workplaces, hot humid crowded sidewalks. There’s a lot of breathing in people’s faces and standing or sitting arm to arm.
I believe that the CDC is saying that while possible, it is extremely rare to become infected by respiratory droplets. Contact with lesions and infected materials like infected bed linens or towels does spread Monkeypox. Generally, adults are not going to be touching a stranger's lesions or contaminated linens but this is why Monkeypox was previously found to spread in family groups. If you think about the spread of Monkeypox in the same way as the spread of MRSA, then the fact that those riding subways, bars, workplaces, etc., are not contracting it makes sense.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"In South Florida there have been 92 confirmed cases in Miami-Dade, 166 cases in Broward, 16 cases in Palm Beach, and Monroe County has nine confirmed cases."

https://wsvn.com/news/local/as-confirme ... emergency/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

There is absolutely no reason why as country, we shouldn't be able to contain Monkeypox but we're so far not and IMO a lot of this has to do with the fact that we lack universal healthcare or universal medical leave policies. There, I said it. Monkeypox has no real treatment but in order to not spread, those infected are asked to spend 2-3 weeks in quarantine. How many are or can do that? We have little safety net in place for those who are infected with any disease, much less Monkeypox.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:24 pm

That’s interesting regarding age. I’m a little surprised that it’s highest in the 30-39 range. One would think it would be in the younger ranges. While this is showing 3 women, even IF hypothetically the transgender/non binary and unknown were all biologically born female, there’s a big gap pertaining to gender, even sexual orientation, which again makes me surprised at the age range stats. I’ll probably go down a rabbit hole later, because I’m curious what the global numbers show and if anyone has researched genetics/gender aspects. I still think genetics play a huge role with some of the variants of COVID.
It makes no sense that they are claiming you can get it by touching someone or breathing on someone. If that were the case then it wouldn’t be just all men. The subways, bars, workplaces, hot humid crowded sidewalks. There’s a lot of breathing in people’s faces and standing or sitting arm to arm.
I believe that the CDC is saying that while possible, it is extremely rare to become infected by respiratory droplets. Contact with lesions and infected materials like infected bed linens or towels does spread Monkeypox. Generally, adults are not going to be touching a stranger's lesions or contaminated linens but this is why Monkeypox was previously found to spread in family groups. If you think about the spread of Monkeypox in the same way as the spread of MRSA, then the fact that those riding subways, bars, workplaces, etc., are not contracting it makes sense.
In Thelma’s Florida post they are saying “Skin to skin contact” is a way to contract it. I think that’s misleading. I can understand how to babies got it. Diaper changes you are in direct contact with genitals. The vast majority seem to involve genital skin contact.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:24 pm

In Thelma’s Florida post they are saying “Skin to skin contact” is a way to contract it. I think that’s misleading. I can understand how to babies got it. Diaper changes you are in direct contact with genitals. The vast majority seem to involve genital skin contact.
Skin to skin contact does not just mean contact with genitals. Monkeypox lesions occur on other areas of the body.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:35 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:24 pm

Skin to skin contact does not just mean contact with genitals. Monkeypox lesions occur on other areas of the body.
What I read on the CDC site was the lesions typically show up on the hands and core body. Where it started in certain African states it was being transmitted by rats and prairie dogs who got it from rats. This is the first outbreak where most cases in the west the lesions are showing up around the mouth, genitals and anal area. This is also the first outbreak that has been hugely disproportionate to men in their 30's. The few clusters outside of the African countries were small and ended on their own.

It looks like this outbreak is spreading more rapidly than any other outbreak and is being contracted mostly through S*x, not infected animals. It's much more serious and there's a lot unknown, that's probably why it's so confusing and different opinions between the experts.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:30 am

Scroll down for a breakdown of confirmed cases

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/data/heal ... eypox.page
Exactly why I wonder if there’s a genetic gender component. Otherwise how it transmits and the current demographic is illogical.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:10 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:03 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:56 am

I can't seem to find data on it but I'm not great at researching. I wonder if there is such a wide gender gap in Central African countries where Monkeypox is endemic?
Lexy posted a link to the NYC data a few replies up. That’s what I’m curious about, if global trends as well as the trends in certain countries such as in central Africa and the Congo, show the same gaps.
I found this Lancet article https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 6/fulltext - and while doesn't specifically give demographics of those who contracted Monkeypox, I found it interesting that the last time there was an outbreak of Monkeypox in the US, it was zoonotic (infections came from imported prairie dogs) and was contained to family groups.

Could the discrepancy in transmission rates between men and women in the US simply be the initial source of transmission (travel) and whomever was patient zero? Also thinking that once infected, it can take 2-3 weeks before exhibiting symptoms so while currently it "seems" to be mainly in the male gay population, we should expect that to change in the next few weeks?

I am surprised that we haven't seen infection of healthcare workers and hospitality workers. Saw a tiktoc video of a woman who contracted Monkeypox early on and continually told by healthcare workers that it was an allergic reaction. I wonder if there is under reporting of cases, particularly cases involving women?
Could be a case of reporting or a mutation that is so tiny it’s dismissed…
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 pm

Exactly why I wonder if there’s a genetic gender component. Otherwise how it transmits and the current demographic is illogical.
This has got to be a different strain. It’s faster spreader. It’s being transmitted almost 100% from male S*x so far. The common places that lesions were found were the palms of hands and body. Now it’s more common to see lesions around the mouth, anus and genitals. Scary
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Today’s news has the cases of monkeypox counted as 6,600. More than 99% of confirmed cases are men who have had S*x with men. That’s how they are wording it. .

It just does not make sense that it can spread through respiratory droplets by sneezing or coughing. It doesn’t make sense that you can get it through towels used by an infected person. There would be more women infected. Housekeepers at hotels are mostly women.

I’m wondering if they think it’s going to mutate into being more contagious?
Locked Previous topicNext topic