New York governor declares monkeypox a 'disaster emergency'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul issued an executive order Friday in response to the growing monekypox outbreak in the state and declared it to be a "disaster emergency."

"After reviewing the latest data on the monkeypox outbreak in New York State, I am declaring a State Disaster Emergency to strengthen our aggressive ongoing efforts to confront this outbreak," Gov. Hochul said. "More than one in four monkeypox cases in this country are in New York State, and we need to utilize every tool in our arsenal as we respond. It's especially important to recognize the ways in which this outbreak is currently having a disproportionate impact on certain at-risk groups. That's why my team and I are working around the clock to secure more vaccines, expand testing capacity and responsibly educate the public on how to stay safe during this outbreak."
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/york-gove ... d=87660203
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

"Commissioner Barrett said in a statement that the designation meant that “local health departments engaged in response and prevention activities will be able to access additional State reimbursement, after other Federal and State funding sources are maximized.”"

This sounds like a good thing.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I have a serious phobia with anything that looks like a rash clusters so this scares the absolute shit out of me.

Y’all be safe up there Lex.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:43 pm I have a serious phobia with anything that looks like a rash clusters so this scares the absolute shit out of me.

I do too! Probably totally unfounded but I was hospitalized as a teen with Chicken Pox and I'm freaked out by any "pox" like illness. Even clusters of bug bites sends me to webmd lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:01 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:43 pm I have a serious phobia with anything that looks like a rash clusters so this scares the absolute shit out of me.

I do too! Probably totally unfounded but I was hospitalized as a teen with Chicken Pox and I'm freaked out by any "pox" like illness. Even clusters of bug bites sends me to webmd lol.
OMG SAME!!

I didn’t go to the hospital but chicken pox had me sick as a damn dog and the itching was unbearable. I do not ever want to go through that again and monkey pox looks way worse.

I know chicken pox is worse the older you get, so that scares me even more. 😩😩😩😩
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:23 pm

OMG SAME!!

I didn’t go to the hospital but chicken pox had me sick as a damn dog and the itching was unbearable. I do not ever want to go through that again and monkey pox looks way worse.

I know chicken pox is worse the older you get, so that scares me even more. 😩😩😩😩
It was awful! I have scars on my stomach but "thankfully" I was gloved and didn't end up with scars on my face!

Monkeypox freaks me out not so much because of the lesions on the body but the pain and lesions in your vagina and rectum for weeks. No thank you. I've read some people's reporting on their Monkeypox and they are almost suicidal from the pain. Even a fart is excruciating. I will gladly hole up in my house and office and avoid everyone not to experience that.

I posted a few days ago that I was worried about Monkeypox, especially because I was going to a music festival. Well, welp, here I am at home with another bought of Covid. Not serious - just slight temp and feeling a bit down. I'd take that any day to LESIONS IN MY ANUS!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:35 pm

OMG SAME!!

It was awful! I have scars on my stomach but "thankfully" I was gloved and didn't end up with scars on my face!

Monkeypox freaks me out not so much because of the lesions on the body but the pain and lesions in your vagina and rectum for weeks. No thank you. I've read some people's reporting on their Monkeypox and they are almost suicidal from the pain. Even a fart is excruciating. I will gladly hole up in my house and office and avoid everyone not to experience that.

I posted a few days ago that I was worried about Monkeypox, especially because I was going to a music festival. Well, welp, here I am at home with another bought of Covid. Not serious - just slight temp and feeling a bit down. I'd take that any day to LESIONS IN MY ANUS!
OMG!!!!!!! That is way worse. What is the government gonna do about this? Can they get us more vaccines or something?

I am suppose to be traveling too but family caught COVID again too and these monkey pox cases are going up. When will this ever stop?

It’s all way too much.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:45 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:35 pm

OMG SAME!!

OMG!!!!!!! That is way worse. What is the government gonna do about this? Can they get us more vaccines or something?

I am suppose to be traveling too but family caught COVID again too and these monkey pox cases are going up. When will this ever stop?

It’s all way too much.
It really is too much. I'm going to work from home for now - maybe forever!

Just kidding. I'm a pretty social person and I work with the public but I have no plans to rub up against anyone, ride public transport, or sleep on sheets other than my own at home so probably am pretty safe. My kids are out of school so low risk. But gosh I worry about others who may be exposed. There needs to be a better job of getting information and vaccines out to everyone. It's avoidable but only if educated on how to avoid.

ETA: just saw a report that trend is doubling every two weeks. Sometimes math is scary.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lexy are you in NY?

That’s absolutely crazy, first covid, now this. Is there any ideas why NY is having these stats? Public transportation? High incoming international flights? Dense population?
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:32 pm Lexy are you in NY?

That’s absolutely crazy, first covid, now this. Is there any ideas why NY is having these stats? Public transportation? High incoming international flights? Dense population?
Here is it basically men who have S*x with men. I don't think any of the confirmed cases have been women. I read that the other day I will try to find the article.
Locked Previous topicNext topic