Messy buns are not allowed

RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I rarely wear a bun these days but if I did, I'd have to use SO much gel to tame my flyaways. The joys of losing a lot of weight and losing half your hair!
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:08 pm I don’t understand why anyone would want to go out in public with ratty hair. Tattoos and different hair colors are not a problem. Looking like a slob is. I’ve never seen a nurse or doctor with their hair like that.
Personal preference. Myself, I'll take a person with a messy bun over strange hair colors or tattoos any day. Unnatural hair colors and visible tattoos just look unprofessional to me. But a messy bun, that's a standard anytime my hair is long.

That being said, I don't care if my doctor or nurse has any of the above as long as they take good care of me. But a tattoo or green hair would catch my attention momentarily whereas a messy bun wouldn't even register.

This is how my hair looks regularly when it's long and I wouldn't think twice about a hospital staff member wearing it like this.

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Wacky hair colors and tattoos don’t pose a hygiene hazard. Unclean, unkempt hair flying all over the place may, not to mention that during an emergency hair flying all over your face can also impair your performance.
This isn’t a question of looks and having “conservative “ rules. It’s something that could potentially interfere with someone’s performance in a health environment and pose a hygiene risk if they could be leaving hairs all over the place.
mcginnisc wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:06 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:03 am
mcginnisc wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:01 am So, they will allow blue hair, but not hair pulled up haphazardly...even though it is out of the face like required.
They are stupid obviously as it makes no sense st all.
Stupidity like this makes me glad that I homeschool and I don't have to deal with moronic rules that make no sense.
This is for employees in a hospital.
I still think it's silly. They will allow colors, but not hair just pulled back in a hurry. I was in the hospital recently for surgery and somw.of my nurses had colored hair, some had messy buns, visible tattoos..who cares as long as it doesn't interfere with their job.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Good point. It’s really not something you can set a standard on. Someone will always think they did it right and didn’t step off the line. Putting the line farther is a good move.
PrincessLaLa wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:03 am Some people take the "messy bun" look too far and really do look a mess. I can understand a hospital not wanting their staff to look "messy" and it's much easier and smarter to make a general rule rather than pick out who is "too messy".
If there hadn't been employees showing up an absolute mess, I would wonder why the change.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:09 pm Wacky hair colors and tattoos don’t pose a hygiene hazard. Unclean, unkempt hair flying all over the place may, not to mention that during an emergency hair flying all over your face can also impair your performance.
This isn’t a question of looks and having “conservative “ rules. It’s something that could potentially interfere with someone’s performance in a health environment and pose a hygiene risk if they could be leaving hairs all over the place.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:03 am

This is for employees in a hospital.
I still think it's silly. They will allow colors, but not hair just pulled back in a hurry. I was in the hospital recently for surgery and somw.of my nurses had colored hair, some had messy buns, visible tattoos..who cares as long as it doesn't interfere with their job.
How is that different from a pony tail, though? A messy bun doesn't mean that their hair is unclean. A long pony tail could be "flying all over the place" and getting in their face as well. What about bangs or wispy hair? What about wearing your hair down? If that is the honest concern, they should be required to wear tight buns with hair gel AND a hairnet.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

A messy bun has much more loose hair than a pony tail. When I was in culinary school hair flying around was a no-no. It needed to be in a tight ponytail or bun. Pretty much everyone in the food industry has to wear hairnets and that’s just to avoid a hair in your food. But healthcare professionals shouldn’t take measures to minimize hair falling off? How would you feel if you knew hairs were falling down on you during surgery?
And, as I said, you’re in an emergency situation and you have to add keeping the hair off your face during it? Wouldn’t you think it’s a contamination risk if a doctor or nurse needs to keep moving their hair off the face to do their job?
Anonymous 8 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:15 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:09 pm Wacky hair colors and tattoos don’t pose a hygiene hazard. Unclean, unkempt hair flying all over the place may, not to mention that during an emergency hair flying all over your face can also impair your performance.

How is that different from a pony tail, though? A messy bun doesn't mean that their hair is unclean. A long pony tail could be "flying all over the place" and getting in their face as well. What about bangs or wispy hair? What about wearing your hair down? If that is the honest concern, they should be required to wear tight buns with hair gel AND a hairnet.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Hairs falling down during surgery? Last time I checked everyone in the OR wears a surgical hat along with the surgical gown and surgical mask. The hat keeps any hair from falling regardless of what condition it is in under the hat. Surgery has nothing to do with this discussion.

We are talking about, for example, the nurse who comes into your recovery room and gives you your medication and checks your blood pressure and pain level. A messy bun isn't going to interfere with those tasks at all. Why do I ever put my hair up in a messy bun? To get it off my face. Go figure.
Messy bun doesn't equal loose hair. It's still all well secured in the hair tie.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:31 pm A messy bun has much more loose hair than a pony tail. When I was in culinary school hair flying around was a no-no. It needed to be in a tight ponytail or bun. Pretty much everyone in the food industry has to wear hairnets and that’s just to avoid a hair in your food. But healthcare professionals shouldn’t take measures to minimize hair falling off? How would you feel if you knew hairs were falling down on you during surgery?
And, as I said, you’re in an emergency situation and you have to add keeping the hair off your face during it? Wouldn’t you think it’s a contamination risk if a doctor or nurse needs to keep moving their hair off the face to do their job?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Hair falling during surgery? How unintelligent are you?

My hair looks nice at work and gets messy by the end of the shift. In the 30 years I've been in health care I have never once seen hair cause a problem for a patient.

My hair is a lot worse in a pony tail than a bun.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:31 pm A messy bun has much more loose hair than a pony tail. When I was in culinary school hair flying around was a no-no. It needed to be in a tight ponytail or bun. Pretty much everyone in the food industry has to wear hairnets and that’s just to avoid a hair in your food. But healthcare professionals shouldn’t take measures to minimize hair falling off? How would you feel if you knew hairs were falling down on you during surgery?

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:34 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:08 pm I don’t understand why anyone would want to go out in public with ratty hair. Tattoos and different hair colors are not a problem. Looking like a slob is. I’ve never seen a nurse or doctor with their hair like that.
Personal preference. Myself, I'll take a person with a messy bun over strange hair colors or tattoos any day. Unnatural hair colors and visible tattoos just look unprofessional to me. But a messy bun, that's a standard anytime my hair is long.

That being said, I don't care if my doctor or nurse has any of the above as long as they take good care of me. But a tattoo or green hair would catch my attention momentarily whereas a messy bun wouldn't even register.

This is how my hair looks regularly when it's long and I wouldn't think twice about a hospital staff member wearing it like this.

Sloppy unkept hair is more likely to have pieces fall out. Who likes finding someone else’s hair on them? It’s just as quick to ensure your hair doesn’t flop all over the place when you’re working with patients. Some nurses probably went too far and came in looking like they just rolled out of bed.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh geez, get a grip. Ever heard what a hyperbole is? I wasn’t being literal, for crying out loud. 🙄
Good for you for never having a problem. I’ll take your word for it. But it’s a possibility. This rule isn’t about being capricious, there’s a logic behind it. It’s not about looking professional or screwing with you.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:46 pm Hair falling during surgery? How unintelligent are you?

My hair looks nice at work and gets messy by the end of the shift. In the 30 years I've been in health care I have never once seen hair cause a problem for a patient.

My hair is a lot worse in a pony tail than a bun.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic