As Ohio restricts abortions, 10-year-old girl travels to Indiana for procedure

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 pm
DSamuels wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:12 am

Ahh, I thought you posted as proof of the story.
With the addition of more information, how do you feel about the truth of this story now?
I still question the timing of things. I think it’s possible that she’s being used to further an agenda. I sincerely hope not, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Questions I have are why if the pregnancy was reported June 22nd but the abortion performed June 30th? Was she 6 weeks 3 days on June 22nd or the 30th? If the latter, then she would have been less than 6 weeks the 22nd and wouldn’t have needed to go to Indiana. Why are we just now finding out almost a month later about the rape, especially when the suspect confessed. Why was he just arrested on Tuesday? Why did the doctor who did the abortion feel the need to publicize this?

The guy is scum who should rot in hell. It sounds like he may have lived with her family.
Clark Torbett, an attorney with the Franklin County Public Defender’s office, said it was unconstitutional to hold Fuentes without bond, especially with DNA confirmation of the pregnancy’s father still pending.

He said Fuentes had lived in Columbus for the last seven years and had a steady job at a café. He also had an address where he could live that was not at the same location as the 10-year-old.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/202 ... 046625002/
Question the timing of it? Tragically, young girls are raped daily. Honestly I think it was only a matter of time until we saw headlines like this. I can only speculate but I think the doctor felt the need to publicize this to show how fucked up this law is and how it already had, and will continue, to further traumatize young girls. It’s horrible to think of it as furthering an agenda, but unfortunately it is the reality of what the fallout of overturning Roe v Wade and having these trigger laws is. I would think more information was not available in an attempt to protect the victim’s identity and to build a case.
Regardless, my heart continues to break for this little girl. Not only has she experienced the trauma of rape and pregnancy but she will know one day that top politicians and countless of people doubted her story.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

With the addition of more information, how do you feel about the truth of this story now?
I still question the timing of things. I think it’s possible that she’s being used to further an agenda. I sincerely hope not, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Questions I have are why if the pregnancy was reported June 22nd but the abortion performed June 30th? Was she 6 weeks 3 days on June 22nd or the 30th? If the latter, then she would have been less than 6 weeks the 22nd and wouldn’t have needed to go to Indiana. Why are we just now finding out almost a month later about the rape, especially when the suspect confessed. Why was he just arrested on Tuesday? Why did the doctor who did the abortion feel the need to publicize this?

The guy is scum who should rot in hell. It sounds like he may have lived with her family.
Clark Torbett, an attorney with the Franklin County Public Defender’s office, said it was unconstitutional to hold Fuentes without bond, especially with DNA confirmation of the pregnancy’s father still pending.

He said Fuentes had lived in Columbus for the last seven years and had a steady job at a café. He also had an address where he could live that was not at the same location as the 10-year-old.

Sounds like it took a week to find a doctor our of state, get the appointment, make travel plans, possibly take off time from work to take the girl there, etc., etc. "Why are we just now finding out" about the crime? The information on the assailant surfaced when the arrest was made. By definition, any pregnant 10 year old is the victim of sexual assault. So that part was already established.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If a fetal heartbeat was detected even prior to 6 weeks (it can be detected as early as five weeks), the 10-year old would not have been able to obtain an abortion in Ohio after SCOTUS Roe v. Wade ruling. In my opinion, whether the child was 6 weeks, 6 weeks 3 days, or 5 weeks 5 days is inconsequential. The fact is that she was a child who became pregnant at 9 and had to have an abortion just after her 10th birthday.

I don't see inconsistencies in the timeline. The abuse was reported on the 22nd, Roe v. Wade was overturned on the 24th, Dr. Bernard was contacted by the doctor in Ohio on the 27th, the abortion took place on the 30th, and Dr. Bernard's statement about it appeared in the press on the 1st. That's a pretty quick timeline especially when you consider that Indiana requires an 18 hour waiting period prior to an abortion.

One point that is not clear, at least in what I have read, is did the mother report the abuse to child services on the 22nd and then the child was found to be pregnant during an examination or was the child found to be pregnant which prompted the mother to report the abuse?

I'm also confused about who you feel is pushing an agenda? Dr. Bernard who made a statement during a group interview but refused to follow up questions citing patient privacy or the media and conservative officials who made the rounds claiming that the story was "fake"?

The rape of a child is always horrific and I hope if found guilty, this man rots in jail. Many adults failed this child but thankfully, there were some adults who ensured that she got appropriate medical treatment despite abortion laws in Ohio.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Sorry if this has already been posted but this baby’s rapist has been charged.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

This whole situation is a disgrace.

Edit: Sorry y’all! It has been posted. I didn’t read through the thread and can’t delete!!!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:30 pm Ugh.

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:00 am
Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:48 pm

In other words you can’t admit that Fox News spread lies through interviews and reporting. Now they are deflecting because the man is not from here as if that has anything to do with it.
They questioned a one source story that not even liberal favorite snopes could confirm. I question the motives of the doctor who performed the abortion making it public. I also question why the abortion was the main story instead of the rape, which according to his confession happened more than once. If she hadn’t gotten pregnant would it still be happening to her?
The doctor, without violating HIPAA, shared what is and will be the reality of the situation in states with abortion bans. All of the wording of these laws are legally untested - what doctor wants to potentially lose their freedom and/or medical license, running the risk of a conservative prosecutor not thinking the risk to a woman’s health or life was serious enough to warrant an abortion and charging them when there’s no legal precedent to rely on? Even if the doctor was eventually acquitted, it could be years of legal bills and stress.

The Ohio AG said a 10 year old would fit into the health exception after this all came to light. That’s not at all immediately obvious from the wording of the abortion ban law. And what if she was 13? 15? Would there be enough of a risk to a raped girl’s health or life to warrant an abortion in Ohio then? It’s entirely unclear, and what doctor wants to risk their freedom and/or livelihood to be the test case to find out?

Regarding your second question: there’s no indication it was the pregnancy that spurred the report to CPS and the police. It’s possible that the mother found out about the rapes (with no idea about the pregnancy) on June 22, reported it to the authorities, and it was a subsequent medical exam that brought her being pregnant to light.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

In other words you can’t admit that Fox News spread lies through interviews and reporting. Now they are deflecting because the man is not from here as if that has anything to do with it.
They questioned a one source story that not even liberal favorite snopes could confirm. I question the motives of the doctor who performed the abortion making it public. I also question why the abortion was the main story instead of the rape, which according to his confession happened more than once. If she hadn’t gotten pregnant would it still be happening to her?
So you’re aware that a child was raped and got pregnant, you’re just skeptical about the world getting this Knowledge because it might f**k things up for the pro-lifers. Even though it’s legit. Good deal.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The Ohio AG before and after the arrest (pandering to conservatives watching Fox vs. trying furiously to backpedal). And we expect doctors to take this guy at his word on anything, including what abortions are acceptable exceptions to the ban and which aren’t, when their freedom and medical licenses are at stake?

SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:10 am The Ohio AG before and after the arrest (pandering to conservatives watching Fox vs. trying furiously to backpedal). And we expect doctors to take this guy at his word on anything, including what abortions are acceptable exceptions to the ban and which aren’t, when their freedom and medical licenses are at stake?

Wow!!!!!!
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:10 am

So you’re aware that a child was raped and got pregnant, you’re just skeptical about the world getting this Knowledge because it might f**k things up for the pro-lifers. Even though it’s legit. Good deal.
Not what I said at all.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Locked Previous topicNext topic